VFR Flight Plan Closing?

ethosunum

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
EthosUnum
I did my first solo XC today. Bit turbulent, but completed without issue.

I did a VFR flight plan for my first leg, and i also grabbed flight following on the way down as well. I had planned to close the plan after landing and taxiing, prior to taking off again. However, slightly throwing me off, the tower gives me a clearance of doing a 180 on the runway, back taxing at my discretion and do a 180 and cleared for takeoff. I had to read it back for clarification as it threw me off guard. After complying on take off i realized i didn't close my VFR flight plan. I Gain some altitude call up flight watch, who politely gives me the appropriate frequency for radio, who i call and they claim they have no record of a flight plan. :dunno: From gps tracking, i believe this to be around 12:40-12:50. After looking up 1800wxbrief history tonight, i see the flight plan was closed by FS21 at 12:55.

So i am left to wonder, who closed it?

I did my first solo XC today. Bit turbulent, but completed without issue.

I did a VFR flight plan for my first leg, and i also grabbed flight following on the way down as well. I had planned to close the plan after landing and taxiing, prior to taking off again. However, slightly throwing me off, the tower gives me a clearance of doing a 180 on the runway, back taxing at my discretion and do a 180 and cleared for takeoff. I had to read it back for clarification as it threw me off guard. After complying on take off i realized i didn't close my VFR flight plan. I Gain some altitude call up flight watch, who politely gives me the appropriate frequency for radio, who i call and they claim they have no record of a flight plan. :dunno: From gps tracking, i believe this to be around 12:40-12:50. After looking up 1800wxbrief history tonight, i see the flight plan was closed by FS21 at 12:55.

So i am left to wonder, who closed it?

Sounds like you exceeded the 30 minute window past your ETA to close and FSS was able to establish your landing and cancel your flight plan.

Were you late closing the plan? Since it was a towered field, FSS probably determined you were overdue, and called the tower to confirm that you landed. Alternatively, since you were on flight following they may have been able to track the aircraft that way if you made it into ATC's system.

Looking at the actual plan eta, I was past at about 15 when landed, and then past the 30 probably when trying to contact radio to try to close it over the radio. But before the 1 hr mark that it shows closed in wxbrief.

I don't understand why they would tell you no record of the flight plan. Even if closed I would think there is a record of it. Just guessing on that.

Did you actually activate the flight plan when you took off, or simply file it?

Yes to activated, used the website and the website history shows it was activated.

All in all still educational experience for me.

If it's a tower-controlled airport, the first thing they do is call the tower. If tower says you've already landed, it's closed and that's the end of that. Similarly, if it's a non-towered airport, they'll call the airport operator or FBO or anyone else they can find. Then when you walk into the FBO 20 minutes after landing, unloading, tying down, putting in the plugs and gust locks, and putting your bags in the rental car, the guy behind the desk says, "Is there anything you've forgotten?" DOH! (BTDT)

Call the tower and ask. They might still remember if it was yesterday. Or it might have been a different weekend controller. In any case, it is an excuse to talk to the nice guys up there and maybe even schedule a visit.
I will take any excuse ... :)

Back