VFR Flight into Chicago Midway

pilotrs

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRS
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to talk a little about flying into Chicago Midway from Indianapolis, Indiana.
1. I'd like to fly VFR around the skyline first before landing at Midway. Every video I see on youtube, everyone is generally flying northbound or southbound over Lake Michigan. Based on the TAC chart, I should be able to fly west of the buildings as well northbound and stay below Class Bravo and then lake Michigan southbound - is that not recommended and does ATC prefer everyone stay over the Lake if they're sightseeing?
2. Should I contact Midway when I'm heading back south of Lake Michigan or perhaps let approach know much earlier that I'd like to go up and down over lake Michigan and then land at KMDW

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to talk a little about flying into Chicago Midway from Indianapolis, Indiana.
1. I'd like to fly VFR around the skyline first before landing at Midway. Every video I see on youtube, everyone is generally flying northbound or southbound over Lake Michigan. Based on the TAC chart, I should be able to fly west of the buildings as well northbound and stay below Class Bravo and then lake Michigan southbound - is that not recommended and does ATC prefer everyone stay over the Lake if they're sightseeing?
2. Should I contact Midway when I'm heading back south of Lake Michigan or perhaps let approach know much earlier that I'd like to go up and down over lake Michigan and then land at KMDW

Paging @Radar Contact or @Jmcmanna .

The scenic flight is along the lakeshore. West of the bravo there isn't much to see but suburbs. I would suggest going north to the Bahai temple, then turning around and coming back along the lake again. I would also let approach know that's your plan so they can make a hole for you at MDW. It's a busy place. Lots of blue 737's, but they're used to the little planes too. We went in an Archer and were in line to take off behind a 150 and a 172.

The scenic flight is along the lakeshore. West of the bravo there isn't much to see but suburbs. I would suggest going north to the Bahai temple, then turning around and coming back along the lake again. I would also let approach know that's your plan so they can make a hole for you at MDW. It's a busy place. Lots of blue 737's, but they're used to the little planes too. We went in an Archer and were in line to take off behind a 150 and a 172.
I didn't mean west of the Bravo, I meant west of the buildings in Chicago, so just staying to the right of Bravo, but overland, just west of the high rise buildings.

Oh... that never even occurred to me. I don't think approach is going to be very excited about that idea, but maybe I'm wrong. I certainly wouldn't want to fly that low over such a dense area, and it's going to be pretty tight to keep out of the bravo and maintain your clearance from buildings.

Sure you can ..that’s pretty much what this guy did ...

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I’m late, did you do this? I worked a guy who did exactly this a week and a half ago I believe...came up from Indianapolis, did the skyline, then back to Indy. If it was you, you talked to me and you did everything perfectly.

Hi Everyone,

I've done this a few times. Just tell ATC what you want. You can fly up and down the lake shore and when you are ready tell then you want to go to MDW. Its that simple. The key is to choose a time that is not super busy.

My next trip to Chicago I'm landing Shaumburg. Its small, cheap, easy and near the train.

Just now spotted this thread. I’m not fully sure I understand the questions but I’ll try to answer. I frequently provide ‘skyline tours’ (that’s what I tell ATC my intentions are) for friends or folks new to aviation.

Under the bravo shelf, you have free reign. Get flight following and ATC is really great in being an extra set of eyes. Many folks venture both on the shore as well as west of the downtown area. Given your plan, just grab flight following anytime south of the metro environment and say your request. I typically sit on flight following the whole time on XCs but if you don’t, connect with them well south so they have a chance to coordinate if needed. Sometimes when Midway is landing the 22s, ATC will ask you approach lakeshore lower than published. When you advise ATC that you’re done with the skyline tour, they’ll advise when to contact Midway tower. On really slow days, you may even be doing your tour with the tower already.

Some other things to keep in mind:
- watch out for the 1900MSL Bravo shelf (I tend to do my tours at or slightly above 1001AGL)
- there is a corridor from east to west that follows I-290 (called the Eisenhower transition) where a moderate amount of GA and chopper traffic will transit. Most of our news choppers live at 06C. That creates some congestion over the United center and Soldier field if you are west of the city or flying the lakeshore respectively. (United Center isn’t on a chart but it’s ~1.4nm due east of Sears (Willis - get ready for another name change) Tower)
- Pay triple extra attention to Stadium TFRs Wrigley, Soldier, and US Cellular can block your access and shove your lakeshore tour few miles out over the lake. I tend to not give rides if it’s a game day.
- for emergency fields, if not near the shore, there should be a fair number of parking lots. Power lines are numerous. If near the shore, that’s the best option. Don’t stretch your glide. Have fun!

(Edited)

Chicago Executive is also a nice alternative to Midway.

Back