VFR flight following question

Old Geek

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Old Geek
After I initiate flight following, sometimes the controller will respond with "123 alpha bravo, radar contact 2 miles south of podunk".

What's the proper reply?

There's no required response. It's not an instruction. Kinda nice to acknowledge that you received the transmission and simply stating your call sign will accomplish that.

I wouldn't say anything. Just letting you know they see you. I assumed you already told them what you were doing and they gave you a code (Since they can see you.)

Don't say ROGER! He won't know if you are saying you understand the message or that you have the traffic. If you see the traffic respond with "tallyho" or "I have traffic in sight." If you DON'T see the traffic, tell him "no joy" or "I'm looking."

After I initiate flight following, sometimes the controller will respond with "123 alpha bravo, radar contact 2 miles south of podunk".

What's the proper reply?
"Roger" will do, as will "concur" if you agree with the position. If you don't say anything, they orobably won't care. However, if that's not where you really are, you should probably tell them so.

What's the proper reply?

My reply would be "Roger", but whenever I get that call it is almost always concluded with an altimeter setting and I just read back the altimeter setting.

There's no required response. It's not an instruction. Kinda nice to acknowledge that you received the transmission and simply stating your call sign will accomplish that.

Well, also, if you're NOT two miles South of podunk, it would behoove you to let the controller know he the aircraft he has acquired probably isn't you.

"Backwood approach, be advised 123 alpha bravo is five North of podunk."

"123 alpha bravo, ident."

What's the proper reply?

If I have already stated my altitude, then I generally just let the controller know I received the transmission by stating my call sign, e.g., "Cessna 123 alpha bravo" or whatever it is.

What's the proper reply?

If you have nothing else to say, just say "roger".

Don't say ROGER! He won't know if you are saying you understand the message or that you have the traffic. If you see the traffic respond with "tallyho" or "I have traffic in sight." If you DON'T see the traffic, tell him "no joy" or "I'm looking."

Traffic?

I'd just not respond. Why even run the risk of blocking a much more important transition acknowledging something that does not need to be acknowledged?

I'd just not respond. Why even run the risk of blocking a much more important transition acknowledging something that does not need to be acknowledged?

So the controller doesn't repeat it.

This happened to me yesterday flying back from Newport RI. Got handed off, I made initial contact, controller responded with "providence altimiter 30.33". I didn't respond and the controller came back on and said "please confirm".

This happened to me yesterday flying back from Newport RI. Got handed off, I made initial contact, controller responded with "providence altimiter 30.33". I didn't respond and the controller came back on and said "please confirm".

They always want you to read back altimeter settings. When they say for example "maintain 4500 or above", they're trying to keep vertical separation of traffic, and it's very important that you're on the same altimeter setting as them.

The words are "NEGATIVE CONTACT" or "TRAFFIC IN SIGHT".
The AIM and P/CG aren't really all that inscrutable.

But since tomorrow is TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY... Feel free to acknowledge transmissions by saying "Arrrrrrrr!"

That's because it was intial contact. While the readback of the altimeter isn't required how would he know if you recieved his initial call?

That's because it was intial contact. While the readback of the altimeter isn't required how would he know if you recieved his initial call?

Actually the read back is required if you're receiving radar services, AFAIK. He has to confirm your altimeter setting.

Actually the read back is required if you're receiving radar services, AFAIK. He has to confirm your altimeter setting.

I'm not saying I don't read it back but nothing in the FARs or AIM on requiring an altimeter readback. Now if you fly a DOD or military aircraft than this applies:

d. Pilots shall read back all altimeter settings received from
Approach agencies when inbound during penetrations, letdowns,
entering and departing holding patterns and during all approaches
to a landing.​

Other than complying with ATC instructions. If you don't read it back, they'll make you. ;)

Sure they can always make you read it back, just like getting a clearance on the ground. I'm saying it just not required by regulation.

Radar contact is usually followed by an altimeter setting. I read that back, plus my callsign.

Until they have radar contact, they don't know exactly where you are. Once they ID you, they will give you the local altimeter setting (at least they always do for me) and you can repeat that with your callsign as a means of acknowledging.

Thank you. :D
Never had a controller ask me to read back the alt. setting when using FF... after all, "roger" in response to getting a fix on your squawk and being given the altimeter setting means "I heard and understood both parts of that last transmission."

They always want you to read back altimeter settings. When they say for example "maintain 4500 or above", they're trying to keep vertical separation of traffic, and it's very important that you're on the same altimeter setting as them.
I didn't assume the OP was talking about being inside a controlled airspace, where a controller might give such directions.
Never had a controller give me "XXX and above" or any such direction outside of B,C, or D airspace...no headings, either. I'd consider that a request, and they might have to say "please". :D

But inside those airspaces, if I'm given an altimeter setting (which I usually have already, having checked the ATIS for the primary airport), I'll read it back for sure.

Thank you. :D
Never had a controller ask me to read back the alt. setting when using FF...
Me neither, but on more than a few occasions I've had one correct me when I read back something other than what s/he said. And that is why I read it back.

Never had a controller give me "XXX and above" or any such direction outside of B,C, or D airspace...no headings, either. I'd consider that a request, and they might have to say "please". :D

They'll just add the word "recommend" as in, "I recommend you do this, or you might become one with that other VFR right in front of you that I'm not talking to, or you'll both make a pretty aluminum shower over the terrain below."

Had it happen plenty of times, VFR, talking to Center, outside controlled airspace. Seems foolish to make the person with a better view of traffic than you, perhaps, play the "mother may I" game. If you have 'em in sight, fine... Tell 'em and be on your merry way.

But the thread is about initial call-ups. Roger plus callsign, is fine, and they're going to give you the altimeter setting as part of the requirements for "radar contact" on their side of the scope.

And while I've never heard it happen, if you mess with them, they still have the trump card in the VFR avisories game always available to them, "VFR service terminated, squawk 1200, frequency change approved." :)

Other than complying with ATC instructions. If you don't read it back, they'll make you. ;)

Altimeter settings are not in the list of things that the AIM recommends reading back, and I don't read them back . No controller has ever insisted that I do so.

Excerpt from 4-4-7b:

Pilots of airborne aircraft should read back
those parts of ATC clearances and instructions
containing altitude assignments, vectors, or runway
assignments as a means of mutual verification...

And while I've never heard it happen, if you mess with them, they still have the trump card in the VFR avisories game always available to them, "VFR service terminated, squawk 1200, frequency change approved." :)

That would be unprofessional and contrary to Order JO 710.65 Air Traffic Control:

"The primary purpose of the ATC system is to prevent
a collision between aircraft operating in the system
and to organize and expedite the flow of traffic, and
to provide support for National Security and
Homeland Defense. In addition to its primary
function, the ATC system has the capability to
provide (with certain limitations) additional services.
The ability to provide additional services is limited by
many factors, such as the volume of traffic, frequency
congestion, quality of radar, controller workload,
higher priority duties, and the pure physical inability
to scan and detect those situations that fall in this
category. It is recognized that these services cannot be
provided in cases in which the provision of services
is precluded by the above factors. Consistent with the
aforementioned conditions, controllers must provide
additional service procedures to the extent permitted
by higher priority duties and other circumstances.
The provision of additional services is not optional on
the part of the controller, but rather is required when
the work situation permits."

See paragraph 2−1−1. ATC SERVICE.

Altimeter settings are not in the list of things that the AIM recommends reading back, and I don't read them back . No controller has ever insisted that I do so.

I do, just because I like to know for my own sanity that I'm where the controller thinks I should be. "xx.xx 5HV" doesn't take up hardly any time to say, and it gives peace of mind to both me and the controller.

What's the proper reply?

If it's correct then I reply with 'roger that' and my altitude.

Back