Vfr down the hudson no communication needed?

Joffreyyy

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Joffreyyy
This probably wouldnt be the smartest thing to do but if i did do a vfr flight down the hudson at 1000 south to north Would I be safe from the wrath of f18s if I never used the radio?? I think there is one bridge that is 650 I wouldnt be loitering around just going down the hudson.

(This is of course in the middle of the class b soup in between some major airports)

Obviously I would be up to date on tfrs

That would not be a good idea. You need to self announce your position down the Hudson

Last edited:
Stay at 900' and all you need to do is announce yourself at the required spots with the required information. No need to talk to ATC.

It's not that difficult, but I always like doing the Skyline Route in the Bravo, the controllers are always incredibly helpful.

BRAVO is the way to do it! too much helo traffic below, you'll spend all your time with your head on a swivel and won't enjoy the views as much...

Doing the VFR outside bravo is not a problem, the "hotspot" is just south of the Statue, where helicopters often do a climbing turn back towards east river. At 900ft, you are above the tour choppers most of the time. Self-announce and try not the get annoyed by the tour copters who use the freq as their company frequency, announcing stuff like pax numbers and needs to refuel.

Doing the VFR route,it's required for you to self announce your position as you go. Take the course on flying the corridor.

Doing the VFR route,it's required for you to self announce your position as you go. Take the course on flying the corridor.

Best course is to watch the Youtube vids with ATC. All you really need to remember is "Cessna, northbound, 900, <insert location>".

It's really easy, just do it.

Take the FAA course. I've only done it at night so all the traffic was lit up and easy to see plus it wasn't very busy. But during the day there is a LOT of helicopter traffic.

I used to spend hours in there at 20 knots, just cruising up and down the river. Granted, it helps when you're in a blimp, people can't really miss you, but it was great flying. East river was good too (not in an airplane)

What do they teach on that FAA course?
I've done that corridor maybe 50 times, it really couldn't be any easier.

Don't end up in the side of a Bldg like that baseball player did in his Cirrus.

Thank you guys Boy do I feel like an idiot for not seeing that big box on the chart :mad2:

Communications, airspace, and operations.

So pretty much the same as the TAC then?

I still think - watching a youtube vid with ATC will tell you exactly how it works, prob better than a course/TAC will. My biggest surprise was the damn copter pilots talking how they are picking 2 and need fuel on frequency w/o any useful information for other pilots...

A lot safer if you just go into the Bravo. Controllers (TRACON, EWR and LGA Towers) are very helpful. Below the Bravo it can be a real zoo at times. Bad midair a few years back between a helicopter and airplane.

I still think - watching a youtube vid with ATC will tell you exactly how it works, prob better than a course/TAC will.

The course does a nice job of showing you visually the airspace and some good pictures of the reporting points.

A lot safer if you just go into the Bravo. Controllers (TRACON, EWR and LGA Towers) are very helpful. Below the Bravo it can be a real zoo at times. Bad midair a few years back between a helicopter and airplane.

Yea...Toga and a sight seeing chopper. Never saw each other.

Yea...Toga and a sight seeing chopper. Never saw each other.

And if I recall, both were talking to ATC and the F/W missed a freq. change + the controller was on his cell..... so- one vote there for doing the lower vfr exclusion + focusing on see+ avoid.

If you do it, take the course, watch some vids, and 1st time, do it on a weekday.

It is totally worth the effort.

Take the course, go VFR, and stick to the right over the river. Its fun.

I flew up and down the corridor quite a few times in the mid 2000s... then last December decided to give it a try but in the Bravo instead. Picked up FF all the way from the western edge of the Bravo, clearly stated that I wanted to transition to the Hudson River corridor, they said no problem, couple of climbs and descents, and then about 3 miles from the river the controller said that nobody was working that sector, descend to below 1500 and remain clear. Ugh. I wasn't quite up to flying in the uncontrolled exclusion, so it would have been nice to know that there wasn't anybody there to take the handoff 30 miles earlier.

Its really not a big deal to fly in the uncontrolled airspace. I don't know why people get so worried about this. Fly consistent, report your position, and keep your eyes out the windows.

i-7n47B8k-XL.jpg

Back