VFR chart quiz

jhoyt

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
Aviators. Recent travels brought me to this quadrant. Hadn't seen these honeycomb terrain markings prior. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    970.9 KB · Views: 324

Butts, or lava, one or the other.

Lava.jpg

I was going to say "alligators"

But seeing that your location is Yakima should have been a good clue for lava.

I traveled through that state park going west from the Bend, OR, region one time. Really trippy to suddenly go from Green Forest to Lava Moon Landscape

Last edited:
But seeing that your location is Yakima should have been a good clue for lava.

The OP's chart, however, is from the center of the Big Island in Hawaii. The Kilauea volcano is sneakily just off screen, near the bottom. :wink2:

Lava it is. Vacation in kona via Alaska Air, not Cirrhus.....glub..glub...

Living near Mt. St. Helens thought I'd see similar lava on map but they call it "Debris". Interesting stuff as I study for PPL.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 59
Never would have guessed? Thanks for the info.

I was going to guess a nature preserve for beakless, eyeless penguins. That's what I'm telling my little boy.

Lava it is. Vacation in kona via Alaska Air, not Cirrhus.....glub..glub...

Living near Mt. St. Helens thought I'd see similar lava on map but they call it "Debris". Interesting stuff as I study for PPL.

There aren't many lava flows around Mt. St. Helens, but the 1980 mudflows are very obvious.

Beehives. Lots of them.

My wife had a question for me once. She points at this gray circle on the chart asks what it is. Had me going for a minute.

attachment.php

Attachments

• chartcircle.png
    chartcircle.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 236
My wife had a question for me once. She points at this gray circle on the chart asks what it is. Had me going for a minute.

"LANDPLANE:
EMERGENCY
No facilities

PUBLIC USE (Soft surfaced runway or hard surfaced runway less than 1500' in length.) - Limited attendance or no service available"

So what looks like a short lakebed runway that could be used for emergency landings?

"LANDPLANE:
EMERGENCY
No facilities

Nope, that's not it. It is in fact not an aerodrome of any sort.

Let me give you a little more context.

attachment.php

There's a big hint in the middle of the Dolly Sods Wildlife Area.

Attachments

• chartcircle2.png
    chartcircle2.png
    246.9 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Allegheny Mountain label... Only because I flew over it before...

Last edited:
Yep, it's the O in mountain. What makes it particularly bad is that the U and N are lost in the clutter of the windmills and such where they would be rendered.

Here's the one I asked students about when I was instructing -- the black line oriented northeast/southwest, just south of the Squaw Valley VOR:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 11.21.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 11.21.06 AM.png
    496.7 KB · Views: 87
Always reminds me of a scene from The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes that most people these days don't understand fully.

They're looking at a map and said this line is their point of furthest advancement, and these red x's are our machine gun emplacements.

What are these blue dots?

Those are Mobil stations.

Yep, it's the O in mountain. What makes it particularly bad is that the U and N are lost in the clutter of the windmills and such where they would be rendered.

Yep, that got me once when I was planning a flight out to Windwood. Took me a bit to figure out it was a letter.

When I visited the campus of New Mexico State University in 1967 they told me that the letter 'A' on the hill east of campus was for the football players.

Next week, they said, they'll put up a 'B'.

:D

Family-1960s-01027.jpg

What do you make of this letter?

The dot next to the label means that there is a landmark called 'letter M'.

If you switch to Satellite view (oh right, you can't, cuz Skyvector does not allow that :D ) ... okay, if you switch to VFRmap.com, look up KPVB and switch to Satellite, you will see that it really is an actual letter M on the ground.

Or is it W? :hairraise: :yikes:

EDIT: eetrojan beat me to it, and with a screenshot too.

The dot next to the label means that there is a landmark called 'letter M'.

If you switch to Satellite view (oh right, you can't, cuz Skyvector does not allow that :D ) ... okay, if you switch to VFRmap.com, look up KPVB and switch to Satellite, you will see that it really is an actual letter M on the ground.

Or is it W? :hairraise: :yikes:

It's an M, it's for the former Wisconsin Mining School, now the University of Wisconsin–Platteville. The letter is made of whitewashed stone about 240' by 210', built in 1937.

It's an M, it's for the former Wisconsin Mining School, now the University of Wisconsin–Platteville. The letter is made of whitewashed stone about 240' by 210', built in 1937.

Here are some similar "LMU" letters for Loyola Marymount University that helpfully define the entry to the southbound "miniroute" over LAX, leaving Santa Monica's airspace.

However, I looked, and they're not on the chart. :dunno: Probably just too crowded around there?

LMU_Letters.jpg

Here are some similar "LMU" letters for Loyola Marymount University that helpfully define the entry to the southbound "miniroute" over LAX, leaving Santa Monica's airspace.

However, I looked, and they're not on the chart. :dunno: Probably just too crowded around there?

The Platteville "M" shows up pretty good at night as well.

Lighting_of_the_Platte_Mound_M.jpg

Last edited:
Back