VFR avionics help

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
Right now I have the original avionics in my C182 from the '70s.
I have a nice engine monitor that I will keep (Insight G2, love it).
I only fly VFR, so would like to put in what I need for now only.

What I want is:
Audio panel with intercom: PMA-6000B has everything I need, but open to other suggestions
Two Navcoms: which ones do you recommend?
TruTrak autopilot: does it have to have a GPS for VFR flying? If yes, what are good options?

Don't plan to get IR, so not interested in an upgrade path.
Thank you.

If you are not interested in IFR, then you certainly don’t need 2 Nav/coms. 2 com radios makes sense (either new or used), and the PMA6000 would work fine for you. Maybe install a Garmin Aera660 portable GPS in a gizmo mount with a power/data cable and use that to drive the TruTrak auto pilot. If you need ads-b out, a Stratus ESG would fit the bill nicely.

I’d still have one navcomm, but not two of them. If you went new, something like a Garmin GNC 255/GTR 225 package, and an Aera 660 or 770 in a panel mount to drive the Tru Trak (which does need a GPS but for VFR doesn’t have to be a panel mount one). Expand out to used radios and there’s quite a few more options.

Audio panel with intercom: PMA-6000B has everything I need, but open to other suggestions
It would be helpful to know what is already in the panel. Why a PMA6000B and not a PMA7000BT or a PMA8000G or PMA450b?
Two Navcoms: which ones do you recommend?
Agree with Jesse that NAV is not needed. If you just want a new COM radio or two, a new Trig is about the same price as a used Garmin or King and a good bit cheaper than a new Garmin.
https://www.trig-avionics.com
TruTrak autopilot: does it have to have a GPS for VFR flying? If yes, what are good options?
Like Jesse said, a portable (e.g. aera660) in a AirGizmos mount.
http://airgizmos.3dcartstores.com

The TruTrak doesn't actually NEED a GPS, but you lose a lot of functionality without one. Some have even installed just a GPS antenna with an NMEA data stream at 4800 or 9600 and you get a lot more functionality, but an actual GPS that will load flight plans would be by far the best. You will want a GPS for navigation anyway, probably. A 182 is a good traveling plane, so doing that with a compass and a map is a lot more work than having even a handheld GPS in the panel.

As a fellow 182 owner, if you have no interest in IFR then I agree with everyone else. Get a gizmo mount for an area 760 (much nicer than the 660 and if that’s all your going to have might as well get the nicer one) a couple nice com radios a PMA and the TruTrak. I don’t think it’s all that important to have a nav radio if your just staying VFR. Doing the 30 day VOR check with just one radio is a PITA! I highly doubt you will ever use it. That changes if you ever decide to go IFR.

edit to add,
Like Jesse said, you don’t need a gps at all for the TruTrak. It will fly a track and altitude all on its own. But it’s definitely nice to have the autopilot fallow a flight plan.

Last edited:
It would be helpful to know what is already in the panel. Why a PMA6000B and not a PMA7000BT or a PMA8000G or PMA450b?

I have the original audio panel, which is totally crap.
PMA6000B has all the options I need. The others you listed have additional options I would not use.

Agree with Jesse that NAV is not needed. If you just want a new COM radio or two, a new Trig is about the same price as a used Garmin or King and a good bit cheaper than a new Garmin.
https://www.trig-avionics.com

Like Jesse said, a portable (e.g. aera660) in a AirGizmos mount.
http://airgizmos.3dcartstores.com

Thank you

I have the original audio panel, which is totally crap.
PMA6000B has all the options I need. The others you listed have additional options I would not use.
According to Aircraft Spruce, the PMA8000G is only $570 more than a PMA6000G. Even though you say you won't use the additional features, for that paltry sum I'd take the gamble that you might. After all, most of your money is going to be spent on the install hours rather than the unit itself. At the very least, the 8000G includes a USB port that you can use to charge your iPad and/or phone. Plus, Bluetooth might come in handy for music, phone calls or Foreflight alerts. And the 8000G might just plain sound better (hopefully Mark will be along to clarify whether this is the case).

Also, HRTF (aka "3D Audio") is big (yeah, it's a Garmin video but the principle is the same as in the PS-Engineering box).

Last edited:
Back