VFR Altitude

I am loathe to derail the thread with something that's been covered a thousand times, but for the peanut gallery, no, if ATC gives you an instruction that you don't want to follow, canceling flight following doesn't get you out of it.
What happens if a controller instructs you fly at 3,500, you climb to and level off at 3,500, and then you cancel flight following? Are you required to continue maintaining that altitude? If so, for how long?

What happens if a controller instructs you fly at 3,500, you climb to and level off at 3,500, and then you cancel flight following? Are you required to continue maintaining that altitude? If so, for how long?

Until fuel exhaustion.

Was getting vectored by Atlanta Center once well outside their airspace for traffic. When I had enough of the unnecessary vectoring, I told the controller I was cancelling FF. Never received a “resume own navigation” but I got “radar services terminated.” If I’m no longer receiving radar services, then the vector that is part of the service, is no longer required.

Until fuel exhaustion.
Longer.

Or until the controller releases you and tells you, "Resume own navigation. Frequency change approved. Squawk VFR." Which is what I get when leaving Flight Following.

Or when you leave controlled airspace.

I scrolled through 4 pages of posts, still don't know who Jeff is or what he posted.
It’s gone now. First post by an anonymous poster that was just a guy yelling at clouds

Damn, I missed it, use that quote button folks, or the reply button inside the post you want to quote.
Yeah sorry, quote and reply was already toast by the time I read it. Maybe I still have it cached…

Back