Very Nice Day For Flying, Except for One Thing

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with a radio check when you are no-kidding experiencing comms/NORDO issues, but how about simply selecting the right radio/frequency, and making a succinct and useful "99" advisory along with that first transmission? We've all transmitted something on the wrong freq before by accident, and I'd rather hear a transmission that was just made in error, than one that was useless and wasteful from the outset. That's just lazy.

///smiles simulated, not trying to rag on you Kimberly, just pointing out that your life could be easier by not making needless comms in the hopes of preventing yourself from making a very inconsequential mistake

Radio checks are common at my airport, but we usually do them on taxi out. Better to know on the ground. I usually do one, unless the airport is completely dead and there is no one to respond (if a tree falls in the woods....)

There are certain situations that do not involve radio/comms problems where a radio check is required. Those who have a need to know what those situation are already know what I'm talking about... :wink2::)

I'll usually call UNICOM for a radio check, especially if I'm going to a towered airport.

Kim - my girlfriend was growing annoyed at my seemingly - permanent residence at the airport. Now that I am single, I spend even more time there :yesnod:. Life is good.

X2. Or too close for missles, going to guns. (stolen from the Top Gun thread)

That's a goodie too.

P.S. I flew a Grumman Tiger a few weeks ago - it is now my new favorite plane. She handles beautifully. N288HC...and it's for sale *drool*.

Last edited:
There are certain situations that do not involve radio/comms problems where a radio check is required. Those who have a need to know what those situation are already know what I'm talking about... :wink2::)

I don't want to hear anything out of you except, "Two", "Knock it off", or "Lead's on fire."

;)

I don't want to hear anything out of you except, "Two", "Knock it off", or "Lead's on fire."

;)

Ours was "Bravo Two" (or four) - we had four flights that day at the same time, Alpha / Bravo / Charlie / Delta.

But we only used CTAF for some - mostly air to air freq's. They debriefed that using CTAF for certain things was not appropriate.

That was required in the pre-flight briefing already. Or you wouldn't be taxiing out today. ;)

At this one flight school there was a binder inside the plane. With a checklist on it. At the very end of the list (after shut down) it told the pilot to Smile and Have A Nice Day.

Is saying "first round is on me" or "I'll take the fat one" acceptable?

Yeah the one I've always heard is "two", "you're on fire" or "I'll take the fat one". I suppose KIO is a decent enough one though, as is "set", "good alpha check" and "fox 3/fox 2" in modern times.

Back