• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jdwatson

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JDW
Greetings all !

My STS AV7600VOR is getting long in the tooth. So, I'm starting to court other radios for a standby. Any opinions on what the best next move for a 2nd radio ?

My Icom has worked well over the last several years. Highly recommend it. I do need to add an external antenna for it next time the plane is in the avionics shop.

Drop me a PM if you want to see it. I'm at JNX.

I have a JRC, and it has served well thus far.

I have a Icom A-5 no need for Nav, I have a Gramin 196 for that.
Hope this Helps
Dave g
P.S. i'd also think about the Vertex (cant remember the number) that has 2Meter ham band, since i'm a ham operator

Last edited:
I've got the Sporty's.

One word: Localizer. (I don't have a handheld GPS.)

ICOM A23 sport. Other than being a bit battery hungry, it has been a good tool.

Jim G

Looks like Sportys and Vertex are the only radios that are supporting the 8.33 KHz spacing ? Is that spacing important ?

One of the reasons I would consider getting a radio with NAV capabilities is when you need to listen over a VOR while xmitting on COM. The ICom looks like it does that well.

I suppose it would depend on what your reduced comm capability procedures are. I would be declaring an emergency, looking for a nearby airport if I lost all my electricals, and my Garmin 96C would be leading the way.

jdwatson said:
Looks like Sportys and Vertex are the only radios that are supporting the 8.33 KHz spacing ? Is that spacing important ?

Not now. I have the Sportys radio. Works fine. I have a spare battery pack, along with the headset adapter. For radios that are used infrequently the alkaline packs are the only way to go. NiCd packs self discharge too rapidly and unless you are religious about keeping them charged will be dead when you need them.

jdwatson said:

I believe that most of Europe requires the 8.33 MHZ spacing (circa 2000) above a cerain flight level.

At one time the talk was that we would get it also. I have not looked into this for quite awhile, so I don't know if it will be required here. When Europe started in that direction, Sporty's used the 8.33 spacing prominently in their advertisements.

I think there are a few companies that have TSO-ed tuners that can be fitted to existing com radios.

Tony

I ask about the 8.33 kHz spacing because, if I can't be to spending $300+ on a radio every couple of years. So if 8.33 kHz spacing change over isn't going to happen soon, then I have more options.

I voted Icom (I see lots did). I have the A23 Nav Com, been very happy with the limited use I've given it.

Their new Icom A24 Nav Com has something that would seem pretty useful, a flip flop of sorts. I'd like to try one (it's also a bit more full sized than the diminutive A23).

All that said, that Vertex Spirit with the 2m ham band would be one to consider very seriously. Also has a Li-ion battery pack, which I imagine is superrior to the NiMH packs of the Icoms. Still, I always seem drawn to Icom products.

Over on the other board it was stated that Aviation Consumer magazine (Oct 2005) rated the Sporty's unit above the ICOM A24, for nav function.

Tony

I sell vertex radios so if you find a model you are interested in let me know and I will give you a great POA discount. My website should be done and up by Mid march so keep an eye out for it.

-Rob

robsingles said:
I sell vertex radios so if you find a model you are interested in let me know and I will give you a great POA discount. My website should be done and up by Mid march so keep an eye out for it.

-Rob

Rob,
Is your site up yet? If so, can you please post the address? Best of luck.
:goofy:

I have had my ICOM A22 for about 6 years now and it's served me well. However I was looking for a place to get it repaired recently. Turned out to be 100% pilot error, but I had no luck finding anyone. Might want to see who services them before you buy.

Joe

robsingles said:

-Rob

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks !

I had the Icom for years but when it was stolen recently I opted to try the Vertex Standard. I actually like the Vertex better. It seems more sturdy, has a larger & brighter display, a few more features than the Icom. I don't believe you'd be disappointed in either unit, however.

HW

I have an ICOM IC-A21. It's about 15yrs old and still works great. It still has the original battery, however I just ordered a replacement pack which uses 10 AA batteries instead of the one NiCad. I also have a little headphone adapter which allows me to plug my headset into it.
Bill

I was reading the specs from Icom, it seems their radios offer side-tone. Meaning I can hear my own transmissions in the headset. Nice.

Back