Verifying Certificates

44Gort

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Gort
I've bee looking for a plane for some time. I've bought other planes and this time Im doing the same routine;

Once I learned that the FAA posted everything about an aircraft (or a pilot, mechanic, etc); I have always done my homework on the history of the plane, when it was made. Are there any Accidents(NTSB) or big repairs (337 file).

And I check the ownership record for the planes that make the initial cut.

Rarely do I check to see that the mechanic that did the work was actually a mechanic..... until now.

I've been looking for a C-172 and was approached by a member of another Aviation Bulletin Board with a possible candidate. He gave me some vitals, sent me some pictures. Then One day he says he can fly it down for me to look at and see what happens.

So I offer to pay his gas (not that much really) and I even bought lunch for his trouble.

Well the plane turns out to be a Toad. No log books, undocumented wing repairs, no way to verify the aircraft hours and too many visible squawks even for my 'untrained' eye. there was even a wrinkle in a belly skin behind the left strut brace.

The kicker was a "Ford" voltage regulator on the firewall, which I pointed out. There was a little song/dance and I gracefully exited the situation and declined to pursue the plane further.

I was curious who would do such work and expect it to sell, so I looked up the person on the FAA airman's certificate records and found nothing. NADA. Either this guy is in the witness protection program or I've inept at googling the FAA websites.

He purports himself as an A&P for a long time and an IA for a reasonable time, but when I asked him if he could do an inspection he said he wasnt an IA....

Curiouser and Curiouser. I dont know how to proceed. I think I may be mistaken, but I cant verify if this guy is actually a mechanic or not.

And I dont want to embarrass him or myself in the process.

What do you think?

I've bee looking for a plane for some time. I've bought other planes and this time Im doing the same routine;

Once I learned that the FAA posted everything about an aircraft (or a pilot, mechanic, etc); I have always done my homework on the history of the plane, when it was made. Are there any Accidents(NTSB) or big repairs (337 file).

Rarely do I check to see that the mechanic that did the work was actually a mechanic..... until now.

I've been looking for a C-172 and was approached by a member of another Aviation Bulletin Board with a possible candidate. He gave me some vitals, sent me some pictures. Then One day he says he can fly it down for me to look at and see what happens.

So I offer to pay his gas (not that much really) and I even bought lunch for his trouble.

Well the plane turns out to be a Toad. No log books, undocumented wing repairs, no way to verify the aircraft hours and too many visible squawks even for my 'untrained' eye. there was even a wrinkle in a belly skin behind the left strut brace.

The kicker was a "Ford" voltage regulator on the firewall, which I pointed out. There was a little song/dance and I gracefully exited the situation and declined to pursue the plane further.

I was curious who would do such work and expect it to sell, so I looked up the person on the FAA airman's certificate records and found nothing. NADA. Either this guy is in the witness protection program or I've inept at googling the FAA websites.

He purports himself as an A&P for a long time and an IA for a reasonable time, but when I asked him if he could do an inspection he said he wasnt an IA....

Curiouser and Curiouser. I dont know how to proceed. I think I may be mistaken, but I cant verify if this guy is actually a mechanic or not.

What do you think?

About what? Just move on to the next airplane :dunno:

If you believe that he might be misrepresenting himself as something as important as an A&P/IA, it is incumbent on you to notify the FAA. We do not need fakers who perform undocumented and non-compliant maintenance.

Find a different plane, unless the price is low enough you can bring it to your and FAA standards.

If, for some reason, you feel a need to punish the owner, just call the FAA and they'll check it out.

Move on ,and find a plane without major complications. If you contact the FAA they will probably say that the plane was airworthy when it was signed off. They will however contact the mechanic of record.

Find a different plane, unless the price is low enough you can bring it to your and FAA standards.

If, for some reason, you feel a need to punish the owner, just call the FAA and they'll check it out.

I dont. Thats not my intent. I would like to know if a lot of this is going on and do I have to check absolutely everything myself.

It sometimes seems, you cant trust anyone you dont already know in this business.

Myself I'd report it to the FSDO and let them go from there. Something just ain't right there, but I'm not qualified to investigate it.

What do you think?

Won't be the last one you find like this, 172? "Next". Mechanics are also in the FAA database just like pilots, you can look him up there.

Won't be the last one you find like this, 172? "Next". Mechanics are also in the FAA database just like pilots, you can look him up there.

I did use the FAA databases. No Joy. Which is what piqued my curiosity.

He wasnt even listed as a pilot.

We can opt out of the data release of our records.

I did this long ago.

I did use the FAA databases. No Joy. Which is what piqued my curiosity.

He wasnt even listed as a pilot.

One thing on that database, when you search just try by the first and last, leave the state and everything blank.

Some folks have their addresses withheld from public view, if you choose a state those folks won't show up.

Also I've known a few people to go by their middle name, it's a PITA but just searching off last name sometimes is the only way.

Now if the guy also owns the plane sometimes you can get his name off the N number.

Now, as far as contacting the FSDO..

Ultimately, if you have a sack large enough to call him out, man up and actually do it, what I mean by that is to tell the man to his face you think he's a liar, and to show you his cert or STFU.

If you can't do that, don't be a busy body trying to stir stuff up at the FSDO.

We can opt out of the data release of our records.

I did this long ago.

Yes and no, you can opt out of having your address shown, that's it, for example someone had their 3rd class medical December of last year :wink2:

Last edited:
Myself I'd report it to the FSDO and let them go from there. Something just ain't right there, but I'm not qualified to investigate it.

Agreed...

I would drop a dime on this plane too before some poor fool buys it.. or worse...:eek:

I asked about this and was told no. When did you opt out?

When the FAA allowed you to change your SSN to a private number known only to you.

Right, but your name is still there, just not your personal details.

Yup, name, certs, medical and if you own, or owned a plane registered to your name, your address is just a couple more clicks away anyways.

When signing off any work I have to put my certificate # along with my name. You can look it up by that #. Don

When signing off any work I have to put my certificate # along with my name. You can look it up by that #. Don

Apparently, the guy in question, never signs anything. he just says he is and does the work....Im guessing on the cheap. :mad:

Apparently, the guy in question, never signs anything. he just says he is and does the work....Im guessing on the cheap. :mad:

In that case,,,, He's in violation of so many FARs I'd hate to start a list.

Back