Ventilators & ???

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Got reminded that many of us have portable O2 systems for the airplane, and perhaps we should bring them home -- just in case.

Reading the details on ventilators, it was pointed out that CPAP might be considered the low-end option for those who need respiratory help but not so far gone as needing a ventilator. I do software, not hardware so I'm clueless even about CPAP machines. Are CPAP a viable low-end or interim option?

Very low end of the world option. CPAP and BIPAP have significant limitations not so much as helping you. But infecting others. They highly aerosolize lung secretions. At our facility patients cannot be moved while on any of those from ER to floor. If you have OSA in hospital and suspected COVID you can’t use cpap unless you have severe OSA.

I too thought of the four O2 bottles I own but apparently they might only be useful to 'up' someone's PO2 during transport to hospital or awaiting an ambulance....with a mask or cannulae.

PPV involves 20-25cmH20 I am told ie the machine is pushing it into your lungs, not just waiting for you to suck it in.

Reading the details on ventilators, it was pointed out that CPAP might be considered the low-end option for those who need respiratory help but not so far gone as needing a ventilator. I do software, not hardware so I'm clueless even about CPAP machines. Are CPAP a viable low-end or interim option?
Have a CPAP no longer being used I am willing to donate to the cause.

I too thought of the four O2 bottles I own but apparently they might only be useful to 'up' someone's PO2 during transport to hospital or awaiting an ambulance....with a mask or cannulae.

PPV involves 20-25cmH20 I am told ie the machine is pushing it into your lungs, not just waiting for you to suck it in.

Yes they push it into lungs per an npr show I listened too. The scary side of them is Covid patients need such high pressure it’s damaging the lungs

CPAP isn't a substitute for intubation and a ventilator. In milder cases of respiratory failure it could assist with gas exchange, but understand it is putting positive pressure gas past a mask which as benflyguy has stated can and will aerosolize the virus increasing the chance of spreading it to others.

Dave is correct in thinking his o2 can ward off hypoxia temporarily before respiratory failure worsens significantly to the point of requiring a ventilator.

Currently all elective surgeries are cancelled in the US. This is to reduce the consumption of supplies and limit the number of patients in hospitals. Also, every anesthesia machine in every operating room has a ventilator built into it. If need be the anesthesia machine ventilators may be used for respiratory failure patients; this would be as an emergent additional capacity overflow from the floor ventilators typically used for longer term vent management should those run out. Elective surgeries being cancelled puts anesthesia workload way way down. This leads to folks who do that work like myself being laid off / furloughed at a time one may think we would be extraordinarily busy.

On another note, there has been observation during SARS and Covid that folks on chronic Chlorquine did not become ill with the virus. Some of my colleagues are advocating for folks on the front line to have access to Chlorquine as a prophylaxis against the virus. Given the high risk environment, the ease of spread, the ability to spread with lack of symptoms, the lack of testing, etc it would be very easy for the healthcare providers to unwittingly act as vectors for the spread. Supply concerns for Chlorquine may be an issue.

On another note, there has been observation during SARS and Covid that folks on chronic Chlorquine did not become ill with the virus...

I've been wondering about that. There's talk of it being an effective treatment, but then everybody screams, "It hasn't been tested!" But it has been tested, if somebody just analyzes the data about the many thousands of people who are already taking it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back