Vasectomy and Medical

U

Unregistered

Any implications and recommendations?

I am planning on doing a non-surgical vasectomy and want to make sure that I understand the issue with regards to my medical.

I was off flying status for about a week after mine. I reported it on my next FAA medical application, and nothing was said by either the AME or AeroMedical. But mine involved actual cutting -- I'm not sure what a "non-surgical vasectomy" is. Is that anything like "chemical castration"? :eek:

It has no aeromedical implications unless you get up on your feet on the first and second days because you "feel fine". THEN you will be down for a week as the 12" softball between your legs becomes quite swollen and very tender......:eek:

I concurr with above,... a week off, and a few days of frozen peas and you'll be just fine. Should have timed it with March Madness like my Brother in Law did :idea:

It has no aeromedical implications unless you get up on your feet on the first and second days because you "feel fine". THEN you will be down for a week as the 12" softball between your legs becomes quite swollen and very tender......:eek:

Bruce, it was only minor surgery with him. but to the rest of us it's a big thing.

I went straight home from the base hospital and spent the next 48 hours on my back with an ice pack on my crotch. Flying was the farthest thing from my mind.

But I'm still wondering what a "non-surgical vasectomy" is. How do they shut off the flow without going in there to disconnect the plumbing?

I went straight home from the base hospital and spent the next 48 hours on my back with an ice pack on my crotch. Flying was the farthest thing from my mind.

But I'm still wondering what a "non-surgical vasectomy" is. How do they shut off the flow without going in there to disconnect the plumbing?
I looked it up. Another term for this procedure is no-scalpel vasectomy. A small puncture is used instead of an incision. Not much different from the standard procedure.

Last edited:
They use a radiocautery to get the duct through a 3 mm incision- they fish it out, zap it, and drop it back in.

They use a radiocautery to get the duct through a 3 mm incision- they fish it out, zap it, and drop it back in.

Seem a lot less invasive than the old procedure. Does it still make you as sore?

Did mine that way, a 15 minute procedure. No pain, no swelling. Drove an hour and a half back home, sat back and watched TV that evening. Next day back to normal routine.

Maybe off topic, but I had the no scalpel and 3 years later, still some pain. Just remember, 99.9% still leaves us .1% crowd in a world of hurt. don't want it to be you.

Maybe off topic, but I had the no scalpel and 3 years later, still some pain. Just remember, 99.9% still leaves us .1% crowd in a world of hurt. don't want it to be you.

I ended up needing general anesthesia and was on the table for an hour due to complications. Took it really easy for four days and then learned a very poignant lesson about what part of your anatomy you don't want your stitches pulled.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back