Van’s Aircraft ... Some Great News

Do I still have factory support for my 1976 Cessna?
Yes. Piper as well still supports and others regardless the model or year. However, depending on what type support you need there may be an excessive lead time on some items like a specialty part. That said, I have seen Cessna support share old production specifications as an option to "procuring" an item on a faster schedule.

Well. It probably won’t matter. The -8 has always been my dream build but the reality of making that happen has always been small. Doesn’t change the disappointment that if the kit is discontinued I will never happen.

Eh, there may be a fire sale on complete kits not yet assembled.

I could also be entirely wrong; Van’s could support existing kits while not allowing a materially ‘new’ orders either temporarily or permanently.

OTOH, most of the legacy kit development costs have likely been recovered and there’s likely little on going re-development, and that does provide a certain value proposition if all that needs to happen is Van’s pass through orders to suppliers for fulfillment. Key to this is pricing management, but that is easily manageable with a clause to the buyer that final kit costs determines final kit pricing.

Just spitballing here, a lot of it depends on data I just don’t have to make better informed speculation.

Hopefully any reorg excludes hopium accounting, or whatever they were doing before

What is the downside of the company dropping support for some older models in an experimental? What does “support” even mean for an experimental where many of the owners are builders and can manufacture stuff?
Most RV builders are assemblers/builders, not manufacturers. The RV plans do not include enough detail to produce a part from scratch, just how to assemble it to the other parts in the kit. If Vans stops making parts for some older designs the value of those planes will take a hit and the price of partially built kits will plummet.

It is. I’m a fam of the -8. To be sure, my pessimistic take is based on kits that are easiest to assemble. The -10 and -14 are final size drilled, and the -12 is pop rivets and there’s the factory S-LSA option. The -14 is aerobatic, so the narrowed offering presents the core of the company’s product range.
Eh, there may be a fire sale on complete kits not yet assembled.

I could also be entirely wrong; Van’s could support existing kits while not allowing a materially ‘new’ orders either temporarily or permanently.

OTOH, most of the legacy kit development costs have likely been recovered and there’s likely little on going re-development, and that does provide a certain value proposition if all that needs to happen is Van’s pass through orders to suppliers for fulfillment. Key to this is pricing management, but that is easily manageable with a clause to the buyer that final kit costs determines final kit pricing.

Just spitballing here, a lot of it depends on data I just don’t have to make better informed speculation.
There are tons of unfinished 7-8-9 kits in the field. Vans will support them, imo, with new parts and sub kits for a long time. They have the mfg capabilities and there is no additional overhead (design or tooling) cost. All they have to do is toss another sheet of aluminum in the CNC. The fiberglass, plexi, and steel components are largely supplied by third parties, who will happily continue making those parts.

Basically, they have a captive market and low hurdles to continued support. That adds up to profit opportunity.

… If Vans stops making parts for some older designs the value of those planes will take a hit and the price of partially built kits will plummet.
I’m not sure how much of the kit is manufactured vs packaged by Van’s, but that could be a point without distinction when it comes to the intellectual property.

Van’s could attempt to sell off the IP for any orphaned products though. Don’t know if the liability appetite exists for that.

Back