Valve Seat Recession From G100UL?

Well....that answers lots of unanswered questions. o_O

I thought it was really well done! Paul and his research team always do an incredible job and his dead pan delivery is excellent. There were some things I had not considered ...

Yup....Paul does a good job. And I too am not optimistic about new stuff...my experience as a Reliability engineer. I just know from having done product launches....there is always something we have to learn and will learn. So, I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. o_O:confused::cool::eek:

Although it may not be a valve seat issue....I'll be one of the last adopters for this.

Last edited:
When 100LL replaced 80/87 there were ads with pix of a line of J-3s, Barons,

P-51s etc all heading to one pump. It was titled “ THE Av-gas”.

Anyone want to tell “ the rest of the story?”

I would assume we probably would have heard about valve recession already if there was a huge problem with running unleaded fuels in the typical Lycoming or Continental engines. The autofuel STC has only been around for roughly 40 years and how many thousands of hours have engines been run on it? I wouldn't be surprised if there are other unexpected issues that crop up however, just like with any new product. There is only so much testing that a company can do to prove a product, and that testing is normally done in a controlled environment. Once the product leaves that controlled environment things can change.

Several of the cylinder folks recommend break in using leaded fuels.

Other options?

Back