Value of a new paint job for resale

Last edited:
I've had quite a few people tell me when they went to sell their planes that the photos I took are what got the buyer's attention. Even if you don't hire a pro, I agree with you, wash it and get some good pics.

There's a beautiful Cessna 185 on floats for sale right now and I'm trying to get the owner to let me take some pics of it... might help him get closer to the $795K he's asking!
Maybe he's afraid that the new pictures will compel him to keep the plane.

Back in the day, an ugly airplane was a little harder to market than a pretty one. These days everything is selling because the supply is tight, but that may change soon if it hasn't already.

I also join the crowd about being suspicious of a fresh paint job. What was being covered up? Damage? Bondo? Corrosion?
Is that really a thing on airplanes?
I once looked at a Cherokee 140, that weighed several hundred pounds (empty) more than any other Cherokee I had looked at. The seller was the owner of an automotive paint shop, and he happened to mention that he painted the Cherokee himself right after he purchased it (with an A&P friend signing it off), and that it previously had very bad hail damage (which now appeared to be gone)....any guesses why it was so heavy? LOL

IMO depends on how bad it looks now. If your current exterior is 6/10, you are not going to recover the cost of a fresh paint job. If current exterior and interior are 1/10 and aircraft is basically unsellable, you might even make money. Just like house flipping, the secret is to start with something undervalued because of poor curb appeal.

It really gored my ox to install a new dishwasher as we sold a house in 2002. The buyer got to enjoy a nice, new DW, the one I could have enjoyed for a year or more had I prioritized the purchase.

Treat yourself right, make your plane look nice, rather than the box-o-stuff that it's become.

When you go to sell it, you'll sell it easier, and have enjoyed it for the last years of your ownership.

Yeah, just put a new roof on my house in time for a developer to make me an offer I couldn't refuse, so they could tear down the house and to make an access to develop the property behind me.

Makes me feel a bit better that apparently their plans have been delayed and the are providing the house as temporary housing for visiting Missionary's.

Brian

I once looked at a Cherokee 140, that weighed several hundred pounds (empty) more than any other Cherokee I had looked at. The seller was the owner of an automotive paint shop, and he happened to mention that he painted the Cherokee himself right after he purchased it (with an A&P friend signing it off), and that it previously had very bad hail damage (which now appeared to be gone)....any guesses why it was so heavy? LOL

Oh that's horrible. Not that I could afford it, but if I ever see a laser straight 50 year old airplane I know what's going to pop in my head.

Oh that's horrible. Not that I could afford it, but if I ever see a laser straight 50 year old airplane I know what's going to pop in my head.
Good news was, it was very obvious from the W&B that something was amiss.

Back