Vacation? How About Afganistan?

Me: "Hey honey, do you want to go to Afghanistan for a vacation?"
Wife: "Why? Is Italy closed?"

We really have screwed up the planet; there are many places I had hoped to visit as a youngster,...which I hold no hope for now.

Indonesia, specifically Jakarta is a place every American should visit. Very interesting, so similar, basically we are the same countries on opposit sides of the world with completely different cultures. They put us to shame as humans go.

Indonesia, specifically Jakarta is a place every American should visit. Very interesting, so similar, basically we are the same countries on opposit sides of the world with completely different cultures. They put us to shame as humans go.

Not so sure about that....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_invasion_of_East_Timor

Some claim that as many as 100,000 people were massacred by Indonesian troops during the invasion of East Timor.

And this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1998_riots_of_Indonesia

Hardly putting the Americans " to shame as human beings"....

Some claim that as many as 100,000 people were massacred by Indonesian troops during the invasion of East Timor.

And this:

Again, that is not the people into that, that is corrupt greedy leadership trying to take oil, that's what that is and that is the way they are exactly the same.

That's the difference. While both were set up under European leadership as colonies, Indonesia was fully populated before European invasion and the majority of the population is indigenous, think the US populated with 300,000,000 Native Indians now with a few expat whites. Another biggie is that Indonsia didn't achieve independence until well after the Industrial revolution, actually IIRC their declaration of independence was in 1945 with independence in 1949.

The leadership took their example from the Europeans and Islamists and others from the west, the population didn't though, they stuck to the same cultural values they had developed thousands of years ago. Africa may be the cradle of life, but Indonesia is the cradle of peace in that regards. SE Asia is a wonderfully productive and fertile region with plenty of fresh water, population flourished there and they reached high population and culture density already long before Moses was walking the desert.

One thing that did not develop there though, religion. They were a "godless" society until western invasion. They even have their own Islamic ethos which is extremely different from that in the Mid East, Mohamed tempered by Buddah if you will.

Traffic there is what says everything about them though. Until you drive in traffic there, you don't understand how peaceful people can be. Now I'm not saying that they can't be pushed into a fight through excessive abuse, but the traffic there is the worst in the world. It takes 4 hrs to go anywhere at all in a car. On a boulevard that is 6 lanes in each direction, the average vehicle density will be cars and trucks abreast with at least 6 scooters between each, and this is bumper to bumper in the entire basin with all the scooters just weaving through all the cars and trucks that are crawling stop and go. There are a couple dozen stop lights in an area about the same as the greater Los Angeles. It may take a hour to get through any unlit intersection of which there are millions. Stop lights are replaced by guys who you hand a couple coins and they walk out in the intersection and hold back traffic and you'll have three - 5 guys working cooperatively to move the cars through one at a time.

The traffic itself isn't the amazing thing though, the amazing thing is there is zero road rage, none. This is the most polite, friendly and outgoing population I have seen on the planet, India scores very close.

The other big difference you notice is the squalor they all live in. If I go to stores with western style goods, (most all manufactured there for export) they all have western prices on them. I was there making $15,000 a month, my counterpart occupationally as a boat captain would be making $350 a month and that's even the top oilfield captains on big boats. If I was hired by them I'd get more than that a day. Due to these wages vs cost of living. outside of fruit, everything there is basically as expensive as here except cigarettes, you can get the real Sampoerna Milds (my favorite smoke, horribly unhealthy but so yummy, never smoke them with any kind of chest cold, combined with certain viruses you end up with holes in your lungs) for $9 a carton. booze is expensive and heavily taxed as an Islamic nation, but it flows freely as do the people. They may now be Islamic, but as I said, it's quite tempered for the most part.

Now you may point to the Bali Bombing, Bunde Arceh, and East Timor, but all these thing are done under foreign influence.

You can read all the propaganda you want about anywhere, but before you put so damned much stock in it, and I'm really surprised you of all people would make the comments you did, most likely out of deserved prejudice towards Islam, but don't attribute the actions of a government in a capitalistic society to the will of the people. It's no more true there than anywhere.

Take a vacation, fly into Jakarta, stay at Hotel Alexis for the night then go to Bali. Take a look for yourself. This is why I said you have to visit, until you do, you do not have any concept of what I'm talking about nor do you form your opinion on anything but hearsay and speculation from what the media feeds you, and your media is as bad as everybody else's.

The Indonesians put us to SHAME!!!

And this:

Again, that is not the people into that, that is corrupt greedy leadership trying to take oil, that's what that is and that is the way they are exactly the same.

That's the difference. While both were set up under European leadership as colonies, Indonesia was fully populated before European invasion and the majority of the population is indigenous, think the US populated with 300,000,000 Native Indians now with a few expat whites. Another biggie is that Indonsia didn't achieve independence until well after the Industrial revolution, actually IIRC their declaration of independence was in 1945 with independence in 1949.

The leadership took their example from the Europeans and Islamists and others from the west, the population didn't though, they stuck to the same cultural values they had developed thousands of years ago. Africa may be the cradle of life, but Indonesia is the cradle of peace in that regards. SE Asia is a wonderfully productive and fertile region with plenty of fresh water, population flourished there and they reached high population and culture density already long before Moses was walking the desert.

One thing that did not develop there though, religion. They were a "godless" society until western invasion. They even have their own Islamic ethos which is extremely different from that in the Mid East, Mohamed tempered by Buddah if you will.

Traffic there is what says everything about them though. Until you drive in traffic there, you don't understand how peaceful people can be. Now I'm not saying that they can't be pushed into a fight through excessive abuse, but the traffic there is the worst in the world. It takes 4 hrs to go anywhere at all in a car. On a boulevard that is 6 lanes in each direction, the average vehicle density will be cars and trucks abreast with at least 6 scooters between each, and this is bumper to bumper in the entire basin with all the scooters just weaving through all the cars and trucks that are crawling stop and go. There are a couple dozen stop lights in an area about the same as the greater Los Angeles. It may take a hour to get through any unlit intersection of which there are millions. Stop lights are replaced by guys who you hand a couple coins and they walk out in the intersection and hold back traffic and you'll have three - 5 guys working cooperatively to move the cars through one at a time.

The traffic itself isn't the amazing thing though, the amazing thing is there is zero road rage, none. This is the most polite, friendly and outgoing population I have seen on the planet, India scores very close.

The other big difference you notice is the squalor they all live in. If I go to stores with western style goods, (most all manufactured there for export) they all have western prices on them. I was there making $15,000 a month, my counterpart occupationally as a boat captain would be making $350 a month and that's even the top oilfield captains on big boats. If I was hired by them I'd get more than that a day. Due to these wages vs cost of living. outside of fruit, everything there is basically as expensive as here except cigarettes, you can get the real Sampoerna Milds (my favorite smoke, horribly unhealthy but so yummy, never smoke them with any kind of chest cold, combined with certain viruses you end up with holes in your lungs) for $9 a carton. booze is expensive and heavily taxed as an Islamic nation, but it flows freely as do the people. They may now be Islamic, but as I said, it's quite tempered for the most part.

Now you may point to the Bali Bombing, Bunde Arceh, and East Timor, but all these thing are done under foreign influence.

You can read all the propaganda you want about anywhere, but before you put so damned much stock in it, and I'm really surprised you of all people would make the comments you did, most likely out of deserved prejudice towards Islam, but don't attribute the actions of a government in a capitalistic society to the will of the people. It's no more true there than anywhere.

Take a vacation, fly into Jakarta, stay at Hotel Alexis for the night then go to Bali. Take a look for yourself. This is why I said you have to visit, until you do, you do not have any concept of what I'm talking about nor do you form your opinion on anything but hearsay and speculation from what the media feeds you, and your media is as bad as everybody else's.

The Indonesians put us to SHAME!!! Until you visit, you have no basis on which to counter that statement. I lived in Indo for a year, it is a must see for westerners just so you can realize what things could be like.

Some might be surprised how many people actually do go to Afghanistan as tourists. Not a wise idea, by any stretch of the imagination, but it's done.

From someone who spends a lot of his time in Afghanistan, let me be the first to say save your money, go fishing, do Bermuda, go Hawaii, just don't come over here. It's not that you're not welcome, but it's not really the kind of place one builds a summer home.

The Indonesians put us to SHAME!!! Until you visit, you have no basis on which to counter that statement. I lived in Indo for a year, it is a must see for westerners just so you can realize what things could be like.

Wow, you certainly wrote a lot of words to praise the Indonesians...

I'd be glad to fly to Jakarta and "see for myself"....

There's only one little problem with that...

The Indonesians Jew haters do not recognize the State of Israel, refuse to have diplomatic relations with us and, accordingly, will not issue visas to Israelis....

They don't have a problem with Syrians though....

So much for tolerance and hospitality....

The Indonesians Jew haters do not recognize the State of Israel, refuse to have diplomatic relations with us and, accordingly, will not issue visas to Israelis....

You could always try Afghanistan!? Just be careful where you step, and bring a tent. Good practice for OSH. :rofl:

Last edited:
It's not that you're not welcome, but it's not really the kind of place one builds a summer home.

That's how I feel about New Jersey, but people do it anyway. ;)

Regarding Afghanistan, a coworker and friend of mine said it best, "This would be a great place to visit, if it weren't for all the s***heads." I've spent a good chunk of the last 5 years there, and that sentiment certainly seems to sum it up well.

It's a beautiful country, and if it weren't for the security situation, I am sure it would be a popular tourist destination. Not as popular as some places, of course, but still a nice place.

My dad married an Indonesian woman - and has visitied Indonesia several times before she moved here. They've also been back several times to see her family.

Henning's perspective is rather interesting- there isn't much worth being proud of in Indonesia and it is full of corruption in all layers. Don't tip the person cleaning your window? No problem -- they'll just break it.

His wife certainly has no desire to move back there.

I never said that the Country of Indonesia was tolerant or hospitable, the hassles to get a CAIT (a yachts cruising permit) is very difficult, politically the place is as bad as anywhere but that is all due to the influence of western culture, that's what you keep going back to.

I'm talking about culture of the population, if you don't want to believe that there can be a peaceful culture as an excuse for not being peaceful yourself that's fine, but don't denigrate a people you don't know with your own failings.

I've been all over this world, some of it twice, and you can believe me the most beautiful country in the world is this one.

every where else they talk funny.

That's the truth. I figured out a long time ago that the more of the world I see (seeing it right now, actually), the less I want to be anywhere outside the US. Frankly, there are plenty of places to go at home.

Even Jersey.

I never said that the Country of Indonesia was tolerant or hospitable, the hassles to get a CAIT (a yachts cruising permit) is very difficult, politically the place is as bad as anywhere but that is all due to the influence of western culture, that's what you keep going back to.

I'm talking about culture of the population, if you don't want to believe that there can be a peaceful culture as an excuse for not being peaceful yourself that's fine, but don't denigrate a people you don't know with your own failings.

1. Indonesia is a corrupt, intolerant and inefficient country...hardly anything to put America "to shame". I find it quite amusing than an Israeli Jew has to defend the American culture and way of life on this forum.

2. Yeah, yeah...we know the mantra. The bad capitalists are to blame for all the evil in the world ( including Indonesia ). If not for the white devils' influence - all those fanatical Muslims would be as peaceful as Mother Theresa...:D

3. "You don't want to believe that there can be a peaceful culture as an excuse for not being peaceful yourself" ....????
Come on Henning...you can do better than that ! ( unless you are totally out of arguments )...
"Don't denigrate a people you don't know with your own failings" ...???
Wow that was deep...:lol:

Tell me, do you always try to hit somebody below the waist when that person doesn't agree with your liberal agenda or is it just me ?
For your information, I wear Kevlar underwear so stop wasting your efforts...

Last edited:
1. Indonesia is a corrupt, intolerant and inefficient country...hardly anything to put America "to shame". I find it quite amusing than an Israeli Jew has to defend the American culture and way of life on this forum.

2. Yeah, yeah...we know the mantra. The bad capitalists are to blame for all the evil in the world ( including Indonesia ). If not for the white devils' influence - all those fanatical Muslims would be as peaceful as Mother Theresa...:D

3. "You don't want to believe that there can be a peaceful culture as an excuse for not being peaceful yourself" ....????
Come on Henning...you can do better than that ! ( unless you are totally out of arguments )...

Tell me, do you always try to hit somebody below the waist when that person doesn't agree with your liberal agenda or is it just me ?

It is amazing no one else defended the US. It's not in style yet to be proud of America. Sad really. Even the people that benifits the most from the freedoms we enjoy run us down. Really sad.

You aren't disagreeing with me, I agree with you. You're countering my point with an obfuscation that is irrelevant to my point. If you can't argue the point on topic, don't try. If you want to have a reasonable discussion of the point from a point of experience, I'd gladly debate it with you using other tactics. When you keep trying to alter the discussion to forward an irrelevant point, I will call you out on it as straight forward as I see. If your full of s-t and talking out your azz from a point of ignorance, that's what I'll call it.

It is amazing no one else defended the US. It's not in style yet to be proud of America. Sad really. Even the people that benifits the most from the freedoms we enjoy run us down. Really sad.

Sometimes a post is so wrong and out-to-lunch that it simply isn't worth the effort to refute.

To keep every thing in perspective, the only country in the world I have had cow shi- thrown on my white uniform was the US.

You aren't disagreeing with me, I agree with you. You're countering my point with an obfuscation that is irrelevant to my point. If you can't argue the point on topic, don't try. If you want to have a reasonable discussion of the point from a point of experience, I'd gladly debate it with you using other tactics. When you keep trying to alter the discussion to forward an irrelevant point, I will call you out on it as straight forward as I see. If your full of s-t and talking out your azz from a point of ignorance, that's what I'll call it.

I believe you should write "if you're full of s-t" - not " if your full of s-t"...

Forgive me for not joining your self-flagellation party, but I must admit that I admire America ( I know - it's not PC these days - but I am not a PC person )

Go USA !

I believe you should write "if you're full of s-t" - not " if your full of s-t"...

Forgive me for not joining your self-flagellation party, but I must admit that I admire America ( I know - it's not PC these days - but I am not a PC person )

Go USA !

Where do I indicate I do not admire America? I became a citizen by choice making an informed decision. This does not mean I think that America does not have serious problems, it just means it has less serious problems than other places. When I see where the problems come from I look at how I see those issues dealt with elsewhere. When I see another culture that handles an individual problem issue, in this case aggressive behavior, I take that into consideration because I accept the possibility that I may learn to do something better. You on the otherhand look at it looking for a justification of why you should dismiss it.

I look for solutions, you look for excuses not to change. Enjoy staying at war brother.

Last edited:
Where do I indicate I do not admire America? I became a citizen by choice making an informed decision. This does not mean I think that America does not have serious problems, it just means it has less serious problems than other places. When I see where the problems come from I look at how I see those issues dealt with elsewhere. When I see another culture that handles an individual problem issue, in this case aggressive behavior, I take that into consideration because I accept the possibility that I may learn to do something better. You on the otherhand look at it looking for a justification of why you should dismiss it.

I look for solutions, you look for excuses not to change. Enjoy staying at war brother.

Well, everybody knows that Jews are responsible for all the wars and evil in this world ( including global warming, the genocide in Darfur, the massacres in Syria, etc ) - nothing new here...

Yes, we really enjoy war very much...you got me there...:dunno:

You are right, the Jewish people is always looking for "excuses not to change" - thank G.. for that.

Well, everybody knows that Jews are responsible for all the wars and evil in this world ( including global warming, the genocide in Darfur, the massacres in Syria, etc ) - nothing new here...

Yes, we really enjoy war very much...you got me there...:dunno:

You are right, the Jewish people is always looking for "excuses not to change" - thank G.. for that.

This is the heart of the problem, religious dogma. I don't look at things from that perspective since I think you're all wrong on that and consider it as part of the human condition that allows us to be so easily manipulated. All religion is Blasphemy as it has men speaking for God. The first chapter of the bible states exactly why this is completely ludicrous even. Think about it, of God is omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent, WTF does he need a spokesman for? If God wants me to know something he can just put the thought in my head himself. Anybody that presupposes to tell me God's will to further an agenda is committing blasphemy. That is what the Indos and most SE Asian cultures developed without until recent times, a dogmatic God requiring conquest.

This is the heart of the problem, religious dogma. I don't look at things from that perspective since I think you're all wrong on that and consider it as part of the human condition that allows us to be so easily manipulated. All religion is Blasphemy as it has men speaking for God. The first chapter of the bible states exactly why this is completely ludicrous even. Think about it, of God is omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent, WTF does he need a spokesman for? If God wants me to know something he can just put the thought in my head himself. Anybody that presupposes to tell me God's will to further an agenda is committing blasphemy. That is what the Indos and most SE Asian cultures developed without until recent times, a dogmatic God requiring conquest.

Yeah...the world would probably be a much better place without religions.

Let's agree on this.

It's not really a religious discussion though, it's about reasoning, religion just happens to be a factor in reasoning regardless the religion since it's just another form of government.

A group of us need to hire Henning and Anthony Bourdain as the tour guides.

Now that would be an interesting vacation!

A group of us need to hire Henning and Anthony Bourdain as the tour guides.

Now that would be an interesting vacation!

Two Type-A extroverts with wildly differing world-views who probably wouldn't agree about anything?

In who's world would that be a "vacation"? ;)

It was kinda cool to be operating the hottest yacht in Indonesian waters.

"The Indonesians Jew haters do not recognize the State of Israel, refuse to have diplomatic relations with us and, accordingly, will not issue visas to Israelis...." It is not necessary to be a "Jew hater", as you put it, to disagree with Israel's foreign policy.

Lots of countries disagree with America's foreign policies, but don't restrict visas to non-Americans. Still, I'd love to go visit Indonesia, though it is a LONG way down my list. I bet Afghanistan is utterly gorgeous. I can only imagine hiking the Kyber pass. If the Afghanis could get their act together, they could probably make all kinds of money off Europeans for eco-tourism. However, Afghanistan is mountainous, and its people ignorant, drug-addicted, and poor. I don't see it becoming a fit place to visit in my lifetime.

Lots of countries disagree with America's foreign policies, but don't restrict visas to non-Americans. Still, I'd love to go visit Indonesia, though it is a LONG way down my list. I bet Afghanistan is utterly gorgeous. I can only imagine hiking the Kyber pass. If the Afghanis could get their act together, they could probably make all kinds of money off Europeans for eco-tourism. However, Afghanistan is mountainous, and its people ignorant, drug-addicted, and poor. I don't see it becoming a fit place to visit in my lifetime.

MY Son in law doesn't recommend it either.

Attachments

• troy's tent.jpg
    troy's tent.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Troy 28.jpg
    Troy 28.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Troy 23.jpg
    Troy 23.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 16
  • Troy 3.jpg
    Troy 3.jpg