Vacation? How About Afganistan?

So does all but one of my Jewish friends and he'll still eat crispy bacon on a sandwich.

Kosherite law is a great example of religion working as government, it reads like a modern health code.

Henning,

You sound very angry, as if you were personally offended by Israelis ...maybe you should try some tennis or play golf...relax dude !

Now...about that incoherent mishmash of yours regarding Jews, religions, Jesus...and our supposedly "belligerent" attitude...our "constant whining"...bla bla bla

And Indonesia "putting Americans to shame"....

Ask your "Israeli friends" what is the meaning of "Nu Shoin" in Yiddish...:rolleyes2:

The difference is your Jewish friend is violating a rule of his or her cannon, while your Christian friends violate no religious mores while doing likewise.

There's a great example of religion = early government... Health code=religious mores. Do you really think God cares if you eat a pig more than any other living thing? Or do you think that's because people figured out that pork was making people in the tribe sick?

Henning,

You sound very angry, as if you were personally offended by Israelis ...maybe you should try some tennis or play golf...relax dude !

Now...about that incoherent mishmash of yours regarding Jews, religions, Jesus...and our supposedly "belligerent" attitude...our "constant whining"...bla bla bla

And Indonesia "putting Americans to shame"....

Ask your "Israeli friends" what is the meaning of "Nu Shoin" in Yiddish...:rolleyes2:

Angry? Not in the slightest, I hold nothing against Israelis more than the rest of the human race, you're stupid, selfish, and greedy. I'm not angry, I'm disgusted with the entire human race.

There's a great example of religion = early government... Health code=religious mores. Do you really think God cares if you eat a pig more than any other living thing? Or do you think that's because people figured out that pork was making people in the tribe sick?

I myself don't believe in anything whatsoever supernatural, and never have. However, if you are going to profess to follow a religion, you should follow it's mores, whether or not you like or agree with them. If you really believe the Jews carry with them covenant with God, breaking it would seem a really bad idea.

Christians have no mores, as they have no rules. Again, the "Old Testament" (a name I loathe, since it is a testament to nothing) is entirely optional, an essential part of Christianity's basis. Were it not, Christians would be beholden to the same degree as Jews to the laws of cleanliness and kashrut.

I myself don't believe in anything whatsoever supernatural, and never have. However, if you are going to profess to follow a religion, you should follow it's mores, whether or not you like or agree with them. If you really believe the Jews carry with them covenant with God, breaking it would seem a really bad idea.

Christians have no mores, as they have no rules. Again, the "Old Testament" (a name I loathe, since it is a testament to nothing) is entirely optional, an essential part of Christianity's basis. Were it not, Christians would be beholden to the same degree as Jews to the laws of cleanliness and kashrut.

If you are looking to me to argue against any of that, sorry, you'll be disappointed...:rofl:

Angry? Not in the slightest, I hold nothing against Israelis more than the rest of the human race, you're stupid, selfish, and greedy. I'm not angry, I'm disgusted with the entire human race.

"Disgusted with the entire human race" ?

Wow...

Is Prozac allowed by the FAA ?

This is all I've been saying, and you've been arguing with it for some time.

Not really, that's not the point I was arguing. In the basis of Christianity only parts of the Torah become optional, the cultural rules, that was Christs point, you don't need to be a cultural Jew and follow all the man made cultural laws of Judaism for God's recognition; You are still bound to God's laws which are the Ten Commandments.

The point I won't argue is that none of these people follow the edicts of the religion they profess. Most Christians as we know them today have a belief structure antithetical to the teachings of Christ, same as most Jews ignore the edicts bestowed upon them as well.

Christianity is all about mores. Much of Christianity is replete with rules, from tithing to issues of abortion to the tenets of repentence and forgiveness. Lots of rules.

The old testament is a testament of Jesus Christ, according to Christianity, because throughout the old testament, prophets and scripture testify of Christ to come. Furthermore, it's the basis of the law fulfilled by Christ. The premise of Christ's arrival was to fulfill the Law of Moses; in Christianity, the blood sacrifice of the Mosaic law was a type and representation of the sacrifice of Christ.

Christians are not beholden to live as Jews because they are not jews. The old testament is an essential part of Christian cannon. This does not mean that Christians must fulfill the laws spelled out in the old testament, because Christ already fulfilled them. Christ introduced a higher law. Adultery is still a rule that Christians must observe, but Christ taught that not only must one not commit adultery, but that one who "looks after a woman to lust after her" has already committed adultery in his heart, and is equally guilty of the offense. Christ taught forgiveness.

Christianity is full of rules, including some spelled out in the old testament. Both the old testament and new testament are testaments to Christ and are therefore essential to Christianity.

uh uh...

I wonder what kind of expletives you use when you DO get angry...

:D

I'll be in my air raid shelter if you need me...:wink2:

Too bad they're not the mores of their namesake.

That would really depend on which Christians you reference, wouldn't it? Christianity, after all, is about following Christ. That doesn't mean that thee devout Christian does everything that Christ did, else everyone would be a carpenter and eventually die on the Cross. That wasn't what Christ asked of those who followed him.

That would really depend on which Christians you reference, wouldn't it? Christianity, after all, is about following Christ. That doesn't mean that thee devout Christian does everything that Christ did, else everyone would be a carpenter and eventually die on the Cross. That wasn't what Christ asked of those who followed him.

I see no Christian sect that hasn't perverted the teachings of Christ to a self serving agenda.

Humans tend to wake up in the morning and go out to fulfill whatever their perceived needs are. Various things (including religion) tend to influence said "needs".

It's a very rare individual who gets up in the morning planning on feeding someone else if their belly is empty. Once a human gets beyond the lower levels of Maslow's hierarchy, the "needs" get downright weird sometimes.

And some really broken humans skip the lower layers and are seriously detrimental to themselves to fulfill odd "needs" before even feeding themselves.

There's no reason to be angry about it. In fact, it's usually someone angry about how others conduct themselves that leads to the atrocities and major battles you're angry about, Henning. ;)

If you're angry about it, you're dragging yourself down to that level in some respects. You either start getting up every day to do something to fix it (which usually speeds the anger process for everyone else 'cause you annoy or scare the crap out of them) or you realize that the unintended consequences mean a never ending treadmill of problems created in the wake of all your "fixes".

Look at law. It's never "finished". One law leads to another and to another ad nauseaum until Governors decide that it's okay to ban sodas larger than 16 oz. in a place once proud of Freedom and personal responsibility. (Cheap shot, but true.)

If there's one thing that's always common in history books it's all the unintended consequences triggered by "leaders" hell bent on "fixing" things. There's also no way to completely disconnect a single human's "needs" from their actions.

Example from recent reading... Today we say "Lincoln freed the slaves."

Lincoln also kept the draft of the Emancipation Proclamation hidden in a desk drawer for two years because he needed votes first. That usually isn't taught in the basic history books.

Lots of similar examples.

Submitted respectfully for consideration... don't be angry. You'll drive yourself crazy and start writing Manifestos. ;)

I see no Christian sect that hasn't perverted the teachings of Christ to a self serving agenda.

I see quite a few, but to each his own.

Back