V-band clamp AD

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Can someone please summarize this?
Is there anything materially different, or is it just a consolidation of all the previous ones? Maybe an extension of the applicability range?
Can't bring myself to read yet another AD or SAIB on the topic.

AD 2023-09-09

The old ADs did not include all models. This one is expanded and includes more models. If you complied with the old one (AD 18-06-11) you are fine.

Last edited:
Is there anything materially different, or is it just a consolidation of all the previous ones?
Just to add to the above, be sure to check that the AD you complied with is listed in this AD's applicability statement.

“Let’s make it simple, so the average owner or mechanic can easily and quickly read it, and are likely to understand and comply.
I know - we’ll make it a 26-page TOME, full of quasi-legalese, just for an extension of the applicability!”

I will say…I usually have to read them several times to get all the nuggets…..

I know - we’ll make it a 26-page TOME
The actual AD is only 8 pages long which is very rare as most ADs fall in the 1-3 page range. Considering this AD affects all turbo aircraft and includes previous ADs in the applicability statement I can see why its 8 pgs long. The APA process was changed a few years ago to include the background info from the NPRM process with a new regulation so thats why theres 18 pages of extra stuff with this one. I never read those extra pages and simply scroll down to the actual AD header and go from there.

Last edited:
The actual meat of what you have to do is only about 1/2 page. The rest is to determine whether it applies to you or not. And basically, if you have a turbo, it probably does.

The actual meat of what you have to do is only about 1/2 page. The rest is to determine whether it applies to you or not. And basically, if you have a turbo, it probably does.
I have a turbo....and it does not apply to me. Mine is already complied with.

This AD applies to all turbocharged, reciprocating engine-powered airplanes and helicopters and turbocharged, reciprocating engines, certificated in any category, with a spot-welded, multisegment v-band coupling installed at the tailpipe to turbocharger exhaust housing flange, except for airplanes that are in compliance with an AD listed in paragraphs (d)(1) through (10) of this AD, or have the supplemental type certificate (STC) listed in paragraph (d)(11) of this AD installed. These v-band couplings are installed on, but not limited to, the products listed in Table 1 to paragraph (d) of this AD.

The old ADs did not include all models. This one is expanded and includes more models. If you complied with the old one (AD 18-06-11) you are fine.

I have a turbo....and it does not apply to me. Mine is already complied with.

This new AD includes 100% of the fleet, every aircraft with V-band clamps every 5 years from date of compliance. The text lists affected aircraft and a final line which says the AD includes covers all aircraft listed or not if they have V-band clamps.

(d) Applicability
This AD applies to all turbocharged, reciprocating engine-powered airplanes and helicopters and turbocharged, reciprocating engines, certificated in any category, with a spot-welded, multi-segment v-band coupling installed at the tailpipe to turbocharger exhaust housing flange, except for airplanes that are in compliance with an AD listed in paragraphs (d)(1) through (10) of this AD, or have the supplemental type certificate (STC) listed in paragraph (d)(11) of this AD installed. These v-band couplings are installed on, but not limited to, the products listed in Table 1 to paragraph (d) of this AD.

There is a small carveout for planes like the Aerostar which switched away from originally supplied with V-Band clamps

Last edited:
This new AD includes 100% of every airplane with V-band clamps every 5 years from date of compliance. The text lists affected aircraft and a final line which says the AD includes covers all aircraft listed or not if they have V-band clamps.
It’s complied with already….nothing to see here.

What hoses or pipes are these typically used for in planes? I see you guys mention turbos. Is that all?

Back