SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Clunky title, I know.

So, I have a wireless network that is in-range, and to which I have appropriate credentials. I would like to connect a wired network device (RJ 45/ethernet) to the network. Can I configure a wireless router/access point to connect to the wireless network, act as a bridge and allow a wired device to be plugged in and connected to the network?

I assume this is something simple to do, and I have it in my mind that I wants knew how to do it; but my brain is very clogged these days!

As mentioned above, more or less. GTS (Google that Sh..) It helps if you use two of the same routers. I have an ASUS Mesh with three routers covering the airport ramp area and several hangars.

Yes. You need to configure the router as a "wireless client", which most (but not all!) routers support.

Yeah.

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Ether...ds=wifi+ethernet+bridge&qid=1628711386&sr=8-4

My Eeros each have two ethernet ports. I use it for devices that don't gracefully restart the net connection when it powers/sleeps -- my Samsung TV is one. No experience with the above doodad. Seems expensive for what it is, but... I dunno your use case. There are a few hundred chinesium versions on Amazon as you'd expect.

Thanks!
Mike, I thought you lived in Hipsterdelphia.

For wireless point to point, you want a couple of directional wireless access points. If this is outside, take a look at the Engenius wireless WAPs. Those use Power over Ethernet and have adjustable signal power and price reasonable.

Back