Using the windsock

Why not just enter the downwind for whatever runway you think might be right, and if you don't like what you see once on downwind, just do a midfield crosswind entry for the other downwind?

So all you end up doing is entering an upwind for the runway you eventually landed on. As long as you use your eyeballs and listen, I don't see a need to hang out over the pattern trying to figure out what's going on, and then depart the pattern, descend and re-enter. Seems needless, not to mention the potential higher traffic conflicts already stated.
it works as long as you don't go to an airport that has say:

18 RP
36 LP

But that's not THAT common. But if you do run into one of those going upwind would put you on a headon collision with those downwind, so it shouldn't be thought about before you get too close to the airport

Why not just enter the downwind for whatever runway you think might be right, and if you don't like what you see once on downwind, just do a midfield crosswind entry for the other downwind?

So all you end up doing is entering an upwind for the runway you eventually landed on. As long as you use your eyeballs and listen, I don't see a need to hang out over the pattern trying to figure out what's going on, and then depart the pattern, descend and re-enter. Seems needless, not to mention the potential higher traffic conflicts already stated.

In addition to the previously cited L/RP pattern (which happens to be a frequent occurance in my area), flying in to uncontrolled airports with two or more non-parallel intersecting runways can be a challenge, as you also have to figure out which runway is in use, in addition to which end of the runway. And it might not necessarily be the runway that is most appropriate for the wind direction - some people do crosswind landings for practice. And not everone talks. Those I am leery of making a direct pattern entry unless I can hear what is going on over the radio.

I don't routinely overfly the field to figure out the pattern. 99% of the time I can figure it out from radio calls, AWOS and/or other visual wind indications before I get there. I'm suggesting that is a fallback if you truly can't figure it out.

Just make sure your traffic pattern is the only one. I think that at some airports the bigger/faster planes have their own pattern 1000' above the little guys. I remember being told this a long time ago so don't hold me to it, but something to be aware of if it's true.

Typically 500 feet above when they do but also remember they take correspondingly wider patterns too.

IMHO, about the best advice so far.

Over fly it, look around, circle well above TPA and make your decision as to what you are going to do.
Unless you are running out of fuel, enjoy staying up a few minutes longer.

You bet. That way you can more effectively run into the other guys doing the same thing.

This summer, I joined on the 45 and announced downwind runway 08 at CQA, finaly got a good look at the wind sock and announced that I was upwind for 26...

Good to keep flexibility in your plans.

This summer I was approaching the Meeker Airport (EEO). The AWOS was reporting the winds as "Missing". Due to terrain surounding the airport, it was pretty difficult to guess the wind direction. Two calls to the FBO were unanswered, and there was no traffic in the pattern on the radio. I ended up overflying the runway 500' above pattern alt. to get a look at the windsock, then turned outbound to loose altitude and make a pattern entry. Of course all the while I made position reports on CTAF.

My CFI taught me the same procedure. Works well.

Windsocks can give a rough estimate of wind speed. Manufacturers will often state what the wind speed is when the sock is at various angles with straight out often being 15 mph or knots. Again I say rough estimate. There was a great, hilarious thread on the old AOPA board where a technical document writer (I forget her handle) wrote manual on windsock calibration standards.

We used to have a member here who was involved in quality work. Her writeup on calibration of wind socks was a classis.

Because many, many FBOs and leasebacks forbid turf landings.

Our club, too. Pave runways only.

it works as long as you don't go to an airport that has say:

18 RP
36 LP

But that's not THAT common. But if you do run into one of those going upwind would put you on a headon collision with those downwind, so it shouldn't be thought about before you get too close to the airport

Quite common around here. Be careful out there.

Okay, now I'm curious if there's a way to data-mine the airport data to see what the real percentages of "normal pattern" to "non-standard pattern" airports there are out there.

Too bad the official data doesn't have a database field for that, it's usually just in the comments field. Would be nifty if the GPS gadget makers found a way to depict the recommended patterns on the various map displays, just like airspace... for that tiny little additional touch of added situational awareness.

It's quite common around here to see the opposite direction thing at uncontrolled fields too, usually for noise-abatement reasons more than anything. There's usually houses on one side, and industrial or undeveloped land on the other side of the airport, and the powers that be decide to keep both patterns over that side of the airport. Kinda messes with the original "system" which allowed for the transition to the crosswind if you found yourself setting up to land the wrong direction.

Noise-abatement procedures are also the reason I usually go ahead and start pulling the prop back on the 182 after 400' AGL, even though I'd rather just leave it alone until 1000'... or at our altitudes, and resulting power settings (since I'm rarely making more than 75% power which drops off rapidly during the climb), just leave it alone until cruise altitude.

But I've heard my airplane from the ground, and those prop tips are noisy at 2600 RPM. Annoyingly noisy. I love airplane noise, but I know there are folks who don't.

Each one of these little things that nibbles at safety to keep the neighbors happy. Not by that much, but all accidents are the result of a chain of little things, usually... :(

Don't forget grass stains. Some of us wash our aircraft.:D

I land on grass more often than not, and the only issue is a little spray from dew on the underside of the wings in line with the wheels on some morning flights.

I always spray and wipe after every flight with watered-down Simple Green for Aircraft. Bugs only get harder to remove the longer they adhere.

I clean the underside (oil and grime) every 3rd or 4th flight.

I haven't had to remove any grass stains.... :dunno:

I get them every year at Oshkosh, and on the few turf landings I've made, mostly on the pants. I clean off bugs every flight, but only degrease about twice a year. The grease won't hurt the paint any. Might even protect it somewhat.

I land on grass more often than not, and the only issue is a little spray from dew on the underside of the wings in line with the wheels on some morning flights.

I always spray and wipe after every flight with watered-down Simple Green for Aircraft. Bugs only get harder to remove the longer they adhere.

I clean the underside (oil and grime) every 3rd or 4th flight.

I haven't had to remove any grass stains.... :dunno:

It must be a nosewheel thing???

When I picked up my new (to me) airplane this summer, we spend about two hours pounding out landings on the grass before the instructor felt safe enough to let me tackle pavement...

I get them every year at Oshkosh, and on the few turf landings I've made, mostly on the pants. I clean off bugs every flight, but only degrease about twice a year. The grease won't hurt the paint any. Might even protect it somewhat.

I find it dries on and gets very hard to remove. And easy wipe with some Simple Green and voila!

Wheel pants are a pain, which is why I don't have them. What's 3 more MPH when you're cruising at 75?

:cool2:

It must be a nosewheel thing???

When I picked up my new (to me) airplane this summer, we spend about two hours pounding out landings on the grass before the instructor felt safe enough to let me tackle pavement...

Nosewheels are not as tough as tailwheels and skids.

Do you have wheel pants/ fairings?

I would like to make a new cowl some day to pick up a few MPH...:goofy:

I pounded my dented old original (1940!) cowling into submission and repainted. It looks a bit better, but still a bit worn.

Believe it or not, Pre-war Chiefs are faster than post-war due to several differences in design -- including the cowling.

:cool2:

That's unfortunate. The only justification I can think of is wheel pant concerns.

The one time we can document that someone landed on turf he had a prop strike. On a brand new engine we had just hung on the plane. Needless to say, club management doesn't seem too interested in removing the prohibition. Of course, it minimizes the chance that someone might go over to S16, too.

The one time we can document that someone landed on turf he had a prop strike. On a brand new engine we had just hung on the plane. Needless to say, club management doesn't seem too interested in removing the prohibition. Of course, it minimizes the chance that someone might go over to S16, too.

Then I submit the issue was with the pilot, not all turf runways.

The only way turf could contribute to a prop strike in a tri-gear (which I assume applies here) is if the nosewheel hit some sort of huge gopher hole, rut, etc. significant enough to collapse the nose gear. But even this is extremely unlikely to happen with most nosegear designs. The exception is the free-castering rod nosegear (used by RV's) that has a fork with little ground clearance. But in this case if the fork makes contact with the turf, you've got much bigger problems than a prop strike...you're gonna pole-vault onto your back. A simple prop strike on landing typically means PIO...pilot error. Turf doesn't contribute to that.

Argh. So many rental fleets are banned from turf. It's sooooo annoying, since I am more at home there than on the pavement, even though most of my landings are pavement. It's sooo silly.

Ryan

The only way turf could contribute to a prop strike in a tri-gear (which I assume applies here) is if the nosewheel hit some sort of huge gopher hole, rut, etc. significant enough to collapse the nose gear.

Many nosewheel aircraft have little clearance between the prop and the ground, far less than most tail draggers. That's one of the many reasons the latter are preferred by bush pilots. It wouldn't take much of a bump to send a Mooney's prop into the dirt, for example. A poorly maintained turf strip is also far harder on gear with or without fairings than an asphalt one, the club or FBO is the one picking up the maintenance tab. Added to that is the unfortunate fact that things like rain can make turf strips useless for many aircraft, especially those with nose wheels. Yes, you and I know better, but I wouldn't trust a student pilot to do so. Added to that, CFIs and their ham-fisted students wreak havoc on rental fleets landing on asphalt as it is. I can only imagine how much worse it would be for the aircraft on potentially rutty strips ("Oh you should land on a rough strip while you're training, that way you'll know what to do if you have to land on one for real").

Funny how all the folks pining for turf strips all fly taildraggers. Coincidence?

Many nosewheel aircraft have little clearance between the prop and the ground, far less than most tail draggers. That's one of the many reasons the latter are preferred by bush pilots. It wouldn't take much of a bump to send a Mooney's prop into the dirt, for example. A poorly maintained turf strip is also far harder on gear with or without fairings than an asphalt one, the club or FBO is the one picking up the maintenance tab. Added to that is the unfortunate fact that things like rain can make turf strips useless for many aircraft, especially those with nose wheels. Yes, you and I know better, but I wouldn't trust a student pilot to do so. Added to that, CFIs and their ham-fisted students wreak havoc on rental fleets landing on asphalt as it is. I can only imagine how much worse it would be for the aircraft on potentially rutty strips ("Oh you should land on a rough strip while you're training, that way you'll know what to do if you have to land on one for real").

Funny how all the folks pining for turf strips all fly taildraggers. Coincidence?

At one time all airports were "turf" (dirt, really -- look at old pictures).

The reason for tailwheels is more than dirt -- a nosewheel adds drag, requires a more robust firewall and forward-fuselage structure which which adds weight, and adds another larger, more complex mechanism (nosewheel strut, etc) which also adds weight.

As engine power/weight ratio improved, some excess power could be assigned to handle the increased weight and drag imposed by the more stable gear arrangement.

Paved runways are actually harder on airplanes than turf -- wheels grab and wear, pavement doesn't give, and off-center landings with resultant swerves put lots of stress on gear, tires, and brakes -- stress that would be reduced on more-forgiving grass.

As far as CFIs "trusting" students, my basic premise as a CFI is to progressively shift more responsibility to the student as the learning progresses. Part of that learning should include envelope-stretching that helps the student learn what is possible.

And all my turf landings before the Chief were in Nosewheels -- a PA-28, C152, BE-35, BE-36, and a C205.

At one time all airports were "turf" (dirt, really -- look at old pictures).

Yeah, and once upon a time all motorcycle wheels had spokes.

The reason for tailwheels is more than dirt -- a nosewheel adds drag, requires a more robust firewall and forward-fuselage structure which which adds weight, and adds another larger, more complex mechanism (nosewheel strut, etc) which also adds weight.

Yeah, and the designers of this aircraft were really worried about drag:

biplane.JPG

As engine power/weight ratio improved, some excess power could be assigned to handle the increased weight and drag imposed by the more stable gear arrangement.

I always figured nosewheels were harder to engineer, since you had to have something that could both take a load and steer (or at least swivel) which would require more sophisticated technology than what was needed on main gear.

Paved runways are actually harder on airplanes than turf -- wheels grab and wear, pavement doesn't give, and off-center landings with resultant swerves put lots of stress on gear, tires, and brakes -- stress that would be reduced on more-forgiving grass.

Yeah, that's why all those flight schools and clubs prohibit turf landings. Got it. Nice to know you're so much wiser than all those guys.

As far as CFIs "trusting" students, my basic premise as a CFI is to progressively shift more responsibility to the student as the learning progresses. Part of that learning should include envelope-stretching that helps the student learn what is possible.

And the entire CFI pool in the country are a clone army based on you as the template. No CFI would ever do anything different, and no CFI has ever screwed up with someone else's airplane.

And all my turf landings before the Chief were in Nosewheels -- a PA-28, C152, BE-35, BE-36, and a C205.

Yeah, I've had my airplanes on turf strips too, though I don't make a habit of it with the Free Bird. If tail wheels were really that much better, most aircraft would still have them. If turf strips were that much better, we'd all be landing them.

I always figured nosewheels were harder to engineer, since you had to have something that could both take a load and steer (or at least swivel) which would require more sophisticated technology than what was needed on main gear.

Yeah, that's why all those flight schools and clubs prohibit turf landings. Got it. Nice to know you're so much wiser than all those guys.

And the entire CFI pool in the country are a clone army based on you as the template. No CFI would ever do anything different, and no CFI has ever screwed up with someone else's airplane.

Yeah, I've had my airplanes on turf strips too, though I don't make a habit of it with the Free Bird. If tail wheels were really that much better, most aircraft would still have them. If turf strips were that much better, we'd all be landing them.

Gee, someone pee in your rice pudding? :confused:

Perhaps you might consider alternatives to your preconceived notions.

Gee, someone pee in your rice pudding? :confused:

Perhaps you might consider alternatives to your preconceived notions.

And perhaps you could discuss, instead of throwing mud. So lets recap:

Just because something was once done a certain way doesn't mean that's the best way.

I would like to see some documentation of your reasoning behind the construction of nosewheels. I'll bet your wrong. I've read my own preconceived ideas elsewhere in books, and they make a boatload more sense. I admit I could be wrong, however.

I call BS that turf runways are smoother and more gentle to the airframe than asphalt. My six says way different.

One of these days you'll wake up and realize that not every CFI is like yourself. No doubt you're good at it. But some of these CFIs are just looking for the next airline job, and don't give a rat's six about their students, or their students airplanes. And plenty of CFIs have wrecked airplanes.

You obviously like turf ops and tailwheels, and there is nothing in the world wrong with either. But that does not suggest that either is inherently "better", which you have implied strongly with your posts, at least to me. It also does not mean that they have mystical properties (like being smoother than pavement :rofl:). It also does not mean that every last pilot on the face of the planet should have to land on them just because you like to.

And perhaps you could discuss, instead of throwing mud. So lets recap:

Just because something was once done a certain way doesn't mean that's the best way.

I would like to see some documentation of your reasoning behind the construction of nosewheels. I'll bet your wrong. I've read my own preconceived ideas elsewhere in books, and they make a boatload more sense. I admit I could be wrong, however.

I call BS that turf runways are smoother and more gentle to the airframe than asphalt. My six says way different.

One of these days you'll wake up and realize that not every CFI is like yourself. No doubt you're good at it. But some of these CFIs are just looking for the next airline job, and don't give a rat's six about their students, or their students airplanes. And plenty of CFIs have wrecked airplanes.

You obviously like turf ops and tailwheels, and there is nothing in the world wrong with either. But that does not suggest that either is inherently "better", which you have implied strongly with your posts, at least to me. It also does not mean that they have mystical properties (like being smoother than pavement :rofl:). It also does not mean that every last pilot on the face of the planet should have to land on them just because you like to.

I don't know why you think I'm insisting that everyone do the same -- I merely suggested that turf fields are not prop-eating airplane wreckers some clubs, pilots, and --yes -- CFIs have made them out to be.

As far as turf being easier on airplanes -- ask any A&P with more than 5 years around GA airplanes.

A set of tires on a turf-only airplane will last many times longer than a pavement-only airplane. Brakes usually last longer, too, since you hardly ever use them as the surface has more friction.

As far as the design switch from tailwheel to nosewheel -- there are plenty of aviation history texts that support my assertion.

Now, as far as "waking up" -- I'm 49 years old. Woke up a long time ago.

Last edited:
The only way turf could contribute to a prop strike in a tri-gear (which I assume applies here) is if the nosewheel hit some sort of huge gopher hole, rut, etc. significant enough to collapse the nose gear. But even this is extremely unlikely to happen with most nosegear designs.
A simple prop strike on landing typically means PIO...pilot error. Turf doesn't contribute to that.

I know of at least THREE 182's locally (yes, including 71G) that have had prop strikes in the last 8 years or so, both due to PIO - And both on paved runways. Ghery, your club is a bit misguided here, IMHO. I'd be willing to bet that the guy who had the prop strike hadn't flown much recently...

Many nosewheel aircraft have little clearance between the prop and the ground, far less than most tail draggers.

But not THAT little. The planes that have the lowest prop clearance are generally twins.

A poorly maintained turf strip is also far harder on gear with or without fairings than an asphalt one, the club or FBO is the one picking up the maintenance tab.

You're assuming that all turf strips are poorly maintained, and that all paved strips are well-maintained. Not so.

("Oh you should land on a rough strip while you're training, that way you'll know what to do if you have to land on one for real").

Sounds like you don't think a student pilot should ever land on grass during training? :dunno: I specifically looked for an FBO that would let me land on grass when I got my Private. I'd rather experience it with a CFI aboard the first time than during an emergency...

The other thing to consider is that someone who does experience an engine failure who has never landed on grass before is likely to try to land on the nearest road. Roads are AWFUL places to land! They are narrower than most runways (even an Interstate, if it has the two lanes in each direction that they do for most of their length, is less than 40 feet wide), and they are riddled with obstacles - Trees, power lines, signs, mailboxes, ditches, and vehicles!

I think part of the value of showing grass landings to students is to open their eyes as to the possibilities in an emergency. Generally, it is going to be safer to land in a field than on a road, and those who have never landed off pavement are going to head for the road.

I suppose you could say I fly taildraggers - I do have the endorsement - But only a small percentage of my time (5%?) is in taildraggers. I love the freedom of having BOTH paved and turf runways (and some others, too!) to choose from - Plenty of nice airports are paved, but a lot of the most spectacular places I've been have been unpaved.

Well if you are the wise one... Why do they prohibit turf landings?

I believe it's fear of the unknown among those who haven't done it themselves, mainly... I hear the "insurance" excuse all the time, but I don't buy it - A lot of things get blamed on insurance so that people don't have to answer the question when they have nothing to back it up.

That's a bit over the top - There are certainly plenty of CFI's out there who have no grass experience themselves, but IMHO an FBO that hires such a CFI who is otherwise good should take the time to get them some grass experience so they can give their students the same, lest we end up with an entire generation of pilots and instructors who have never landed on anything other than paved surfaces.

As with all things aviation, "it depends." For the bush pilots, you've gotta have a tailwheel. For the rest of us, it's optional. I've enjoyed the challenges I've experienced in my 40 or so hours of tailwheel flying, but other times... When landing in Wyoming with a direct crosswind gusting over 30 knots, I'm really glad I'm not in a tailwheel airplane. For my purposes, and probably many others, for that reason an airplane that's used for transportation should probably be a tri-geared bird.

Now, does that mean tailwheels have no purpose? Obviously not. For those who don't land on pavement much, don't fly when the winds are high, etc. a tailwheel is a fun challenge. For some, it's a necessity. That most of us are flying tri-gear airplanes doesn't mean tailwheels aren't better at a lot of things. :no:

Likewise, turf can be better in lots of situations, but the reason we have so many paved runways is that larger airplanes may sink in the mud, and the larger-heavier-faster contingent is going to take more damage to the gear that they won't save on tires. In addition, many turbine airplanes are at risk of sucking debris off of a non-paved runway. Any land airplane can land on a paved runway, not every airplane can land on turf or other unimproved surfaces. Because of that, we tend to build paved airports - That doesn't mean they're better for EVERY airplane now, does it?

Dan is correct, turf is easier on tires and brake pads. Both are also inexpensive and easily replaced.

Land the same aircraft on both and tell me which is smoother. My own six says asphalt, which may be harder on touchdown but is far easier in rollout and taxi. I land on even the best maintained turf strip, and it's jouncy as can be, and I doubt I'm alone in that assessment. While you may be saving your tires and brakes, you will be transmitting excess vibration directly into the airframe, which gets expensive in a big hurry.

I do not want to suggest that if you land on a turf strip, a monster will appear and eat your aircraft. Only that the prohibitions put in place by a lot of clubs and FBOs are there for some very good reasons.

And if your airplane has wheel pants and you value them, be very careful. I was and still took on damage. I would land the strip that did it again, and for good reason. There is also the Lee Bottom fly-in, which if you haven't attended, you should. The Free Bird will be going back there. But my airplane has to have a damn good reason to visit a turf strip, or away it stays.

gorillabeatingchest.gif

Again, a generalization - And you yourself admitted that your own turf experience is very limited. You coming to Wisconsin any time? (OSH or something?) Head up to Three Lakes (40D) - That runway is like a putting green - definitely smoother than some paved runways I've landed on! And I saw airplanes there that I've never seen on grass before - An SR22, a King Air, and an Aerostar! :eek:

Anyone just do a low slow pass, get a reading on the gps, and then go out and set up for the best pattern?

I get a reading on my GPS wind direction and speed relative to my heading. But, I find it is often significantly different at pattern altitude than near ground level. I can't easily spot the sock at pattern altitude.

I went to an unfamiliar field where there seemed to be a lot of traffic all using runway 1, AWOS said wind 020 at 10kts. Not using the gps, I misinterpreted that and set up for runway 19, thinking everyone else was foolish to be using the runway downwind. Decided to go around after coming in high and hot. Saw the sock along the way and realized my mistake. Came back in for runway 1 and made a nice slow landing. Point being, those on the ground taking off usually have better data, don't ignore them...

Then I submit the issue was with the pilot, not all turf runways.

Very likely. But that doesn't change the rule.

I know of at least THREE 182's locally (yes, including 71G) that have had prop strikes in the last 8 years or so, both due to PIO - And both on paved runways. Ghery, your club is a bit misguided here, IMHO. I'd be willing to bet that the guy who had the prop strike hadn't flown much recently...

I don't know who did it, nor how much he had flown. Regardless, we're restricted to paved runways. Thems the rules, and I like flying the club's planes, so I'm not going to go out of my way to get kicked out.

Oh, and nobody has commented on S16 and why that would be quite different from a turf runway. Come on, use your Google-fu!

I don't know who did it, nor how much he had flown. Regardless, we're restricted to paved runways. Thems the rules, and I like flying the club's planes, so I'm not going to go out of my way to get kicked out.

I wouldn't just go and land on grass - I'd work to change the rules. Up to and including running for election to the board.

Or, I just wouldn't join that club in the first place.

Oh, and nobody has commented on S16 and why that would be quite different from a turf runway. Come on, use your Google-fu!

Google, nothin'. I punched it into ForeFlight. I've heard of that place before... Land on the beach! Would love to try it. And since the FAA recognizes that beach as an airport, it is within my club's rules to fly in there. :yes:

Google, nothin'. I punched it into ForeFlight. I've heard of that place before... Land on the beach! Would love to try it. And since the FAA recognizes that beach as an airport, it is within my club's rules to fly in there. :yes:

Does it have a windsock?

Again, a generalization - And you yourself admitted that your own turf experience is very limited. You coming to Wisconsin any time? (OSH or something?) Head up to Three Lakes (40D) - That runway is like a putting green - definitely smoother than some paved runways I've landed on! And I saw airplanes there that I've never seen on grass before - An SR22, a King Air, and an Aerostar! :eek:

I've landed at plenty of turf strips in my time, I just keep my current (and rather nice) aircraft away from them. And yes, my butt cheeks say that the turf strips are a lot rougher on the airplane than the pavement ones. Perhaps I just make smoother landings than you?:devil:

I've landed at plenty of turf strips in my time, I just keep my current (and rather nice) aircraft away from them. And yes, my butt cheeks say that the turf strips are a lot rougher on the airplane than the pavement ones. Perhaps I just make smoother landings than you?:devil:

I think you're comparing "Smooth, recently paved" with "End of summer, rocky."

There are many, many smooth, nice turf fields. I landed the C205 at a small private field in eastern PA and it was smooth as silk (short, too). The owner has a turboed, FIKI twin and has been flying in and out for at least 20 years.

Early in the spring the turf is too spongy around here. But May and June usually offer a nice thick carpet. By October in a dry year, they can be rough.

My daughter was a bit apprehensive about landing in the grass (she's a bit of a fearful flyer so anything different is added stress).

I assured her it would be smooth.

On the taxi in after the landing she said, "Wow! The grass runway was nice! Very cushiony!"

:thumbsup:

I won't even get into this too much but I have to say to those worrying about propstrikes in a trike: Isn't a soft field supposed to be a noseuplanding and keep noseup off the ground anyway? How can you strike a prop unless you stubbornly land 3 point in a trike which of course you deserve a prop strike because that is TERRIBLE form.

I hate flat landings in tricycle aircraft so much. almost as much as I hate seeing nosewheel landings.

FOD issues? Rediculous obstacles:A52-14 ROCK- RY AVBL WHEN TIDE IS LOW.- VEHICLES, PEDESTRIANS & ANIMALS ON & INVOF ARPT.- RIVER COURSE CHANGE MAY ALTER RY LENGTH.- STREAM CROSSING 1500 FT FROM THE END OF RY 14.

While you may be saving your tires and brakes, you will be transmitting excess vibration directly into the airframe, which gets expensive in a big hurry.

I don't quite follow your logic on this one, sir. The way I understand it, vibration is an issue if its at a frequency that sets up resonances in the airframe and loosens parts, etc. Are you suggesting that turf can do this? I would have thought that the engine at specific RPM is far more likely than the jolts and bumps on grass. Educate me.

FOD issues? Rediculous obstacles:A52-14 ROCK- RY AVBL WHEN TIDE IS LOW.- VEHICLES, PEDESTRIANS & ANIMALS ON & INVOF ARPT.- RIVER COURSE CHANGE MAY ALTER RY LENGTH.- STREAM CROSSING 1500 FT FROM THE END OF RY 14.
I don't know about you, but that just sounds like plain fun to me...

I don't quite follow your logic on this one, sir. The way I understand it, vibration is an issue if its at a frequency that sets up resonances in the airframe and loosens parts, etc. Are you suggesting that turf can do this? I would have thought that the engine at specific RPM is far more likely than the jolts and bumps on grass. Educate me.

Drive your car down the freeway. Then go drive it at the same speed across an open field. You tell me which is more likely to damage your vehicle.

Back