Using Garmin Aera 660 to Compliment iPad with ForeFlight

The $150.00/yr. database update is a deal breaker for me. $750.00 for the 660, $150.00/yr for updates, plus $200.00/yr for FF. It's all about perceived value, though.

I have one panel mounted in my plane and often leave my ipad in the flightbag since the 660 is so handy. It came with the plane and I have come to appreciate it.

I didn't watch the whole video, but do you have any kind of IFR GPS in this aircraft?

I'm with @Dave Arata - I already pay FF $200/year and I pay Garmin to keep our GNS430w up-to-date every month. So there is no way I would pay another $750 plus yet another yearly fee for the updates. If my iPad ever fails on an IFR flight, I have my iPhone as a backup with the plates. That plus the GNS430w (plus analog backups if needed) is plenty for me.

I’ve only used the vfr features. One complaint of mine is the size of the text is small. I keep the vfr chart view zoomed in with TRK and DTK fields showing so I can follow my course and see and nearby hazards. I haven’t tried the yoke mount yet.

I’ve only used the vfr features. One complaint of mine is the size of the text is small. I keep the vfr chart view zoomed in with TRK and DTK fields showing so I can follow my course and see and nearby hazards. I haven’t tried the yoke mount yet.
I'm considering a 660 just to have something resembling a HSI; does it brick if you let the charts expire?
Garmin-aera-660-2.jpg

I'm considering a 660 just to have something resembling a HSI; does it brick if you let the charts expire?
View attachment 92557

No, at least it hasn’t for me if I don’t update for a few months. It being a portable it’s not certified and for situation awareness only. I have it panel mounted and use it as a poor mans MFD. Traffic, map, weather are my primary uses.
If you have a Garmin GPS box, you can get packages that includes the GPS, 660, upgrade of Pilot all for around $500.

I have one panel mounted in my plane and often leave my ipad in the flightbag since the 660 is so handy. It came with the plane and I have come to appreciate it.
It's been a welcome enhancement to augment existing Nav equipment. I like having the additional Nav presentation for situational awareness.

I didn't watch the whole video, but do you have any kind of IFR GPS in this aircraft?

I'm with @Dave Arata - I already pay FF $200/year and I pay Garmin to keep our GNS430w up-to-date every month. So there is no way I would pay another $750 plus yet another yearly fee for the updates. If my iPad ever fails on an IFR flight, I have my iPhone as a backup with the plates. That plus the GNS430w (plus analog backups if needed) is plenty for me.
I'm a slant alpha, so I use this and the iPad for situational awareness and backup to equipment failure.

The $150.00/yr. database update is a deal breaker for me. $750.00 for the 660, $150.00/yr for updates, plus $200.00/yr for FF. It's all about perceived value, though.
If you already have a OnePak subscription for other avionics in the plane, then it is $0 incremental cost.
Seems pretty unnecessary. But that's just me.
If it's hardwired to a Garmin WAAS navigator then it acts a lot more like a real MFD than a portable (e.g. approaches, holds, procedure turns, etc).

I suppose there might be other use cases, like if you don't have a panel mounted GPS but you do have G5's and an autopilot and would like them to fly a flight plan.

If you already have a OnePak subscription for other avionics in the plane, then it is $0 incremental cost.

If it's hardwired to a Garmin WAAS navigator then it acts a lot more like a real MFD than a portable (e.g. approaches, holds, procedure turns, etc).[/quore]
but it's not a real MFD.

I suppose there might be other use cases, like if you don't have a panel mounted GPS but you do have G5's and an autopilot and would like them to fly a flight plan.
But if you don't have a panel mounted GPS, you are not flying IFR GPS. Heck, if I was only flying VFR, I might well be using one of the free EFBs to bein with.

I'm sure there are use cases. One of the airplane I have access to has a portable Garmin mounted. It's pretty nice. But part of "that's just me" is that none of the use cases are worth the extra cost to me of an Aera.

Back