Using Flight Simulation for Procedures & Skills Orientation

What you think about what an anonymous person has or does not have on the internet is moot. Period. Now, go try to convince yourself otherwise. You'd be spending your time very unwisely, but something tells me that's probably par for the course for you.

Furthermore, you'd be maximally surprised to find out what millionaires do with their spare time online (very surprised). If you were one, you'd know the truth of that statement.

I'm here expressly for the reasons stipulated in the title. If you can't read or understand the title of the OP, then I'd appreciate you taking a back seat to those who can (which have been a precious few at this point).

Thanks for your post. It had a lot of intellectual brio.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ok, continue on Mr. Rockefeller or is it Mr. Proust?

What a coincidence, I also have a high end german automobile in my hangar.

Attachments

• hangar photo.jpg
    hangar photo.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 30
GREAT catch there. I didn't realize he was talking about a Bugatti.

The thing is, I think he really believes this. Maybe I've been "had" in that regard. A big hoax is not beyond a couple of regular posters here.

I have a disturbing thought that he might be bipolar. Several signs are present. And untreated bipolar disorder would make a 3rd class medical exam "interesting."

The thing is, if he has time to post these novels, he clearly had time to get a couple of hours in at the airport and prove us all wrong.

At this point in time, it doesn't really matter if he's who he says he is or not. Either way, he's either an extreme bull****ter or an arrogant *******.

At this point in time, it doesn't really matter if he's who he says he is or not. Either way, he's either an extreme bull****ter or an arrogant *******.

Ya think? What wuz yer first clue?

What a coincidence, I also have a high end german automobile in my hangar.

I want to start a study on the ratio of airborne to non-airborne conveyances stored in airplane hangars. My CFI is 2:1 - 172, Helicopter, and a 50's GMC pickup truck that he's storing for a friend.

I had no idea hangars had such a strong magnetic attraction for crap that needs stor'in. :D

I've been flying since grade 11 and I do agree with some of the above comments about flight sim programs.

There is a reason most flight schools don't allow students to use the schools simulator w/o instructor supervision. Your best friend is a qualified instructor. The home flight sim programs are great for fun and they are made even more fun after an instructor has had some quality time with you. I wouldn't say toss your sim program in the trash but just keep it value as a teaching tool in perspective.

Good luck with your training, stay safe and have fun.

Barkley

I've been flying since grade 11 and I do agree with some of the above comments about flight sim programs.

There is a reason most flight schools don't allow students to use the schools simulator w/o instructor supervision. Your best friend is a qualified instructor. The home flight sim programs are great for fun and they are made even more fun after an instructor has had some quality time with you. I wouldn't say toss your sim program in the trash but just keep it value as a teaching tool in perspective.

Good luck with your training, stay safe and have fun.

Barkley

Great first post, and welcome to PoA!

Tough thread to read. As much as I'm a proponent of the utilization of a range of sims to reduce the time & cost to train, I definitely think you're better starting in the real airplane, with a CFII, then use the sim to hone those skills (with and without an instructor present), except for those tasks which require specific motor skills, or the building of muscle memory.

I'm posting this in case people read this and think that the online flying networks (VATSIM/PilotEdge, etc) promote the 'do it all yourself in the sim first' approach. We don't. We generally advise our users who are student pilots to not practice much beyond what they've already covered with their instructor.

Instrument training is a little different, though, once you have your primary training out of the way, I think. I've now seen countless examples of people who self-taught themselves IFR, then went for their training and had a huge head start, allowing them to focus on some of the bigger picture items (such as ADM) with their instructor. That way, they come out of the IFR training better equipped to handle real world IFR than most newly-minted instrument pilots.

FWIW, this same user was posting similar questions on the PilotEdge forum. We tried hard to encourage him to get the real world process started and then augment it with sim training, but I'm not sure how much impact we made. Judging by this thread...not much.

All that said, the number of people who feel simulators have little to no place in primary training is surprising. If flying was 99% muscle memory and 1% decision making, I'd agree completely...but it just isn't the case. Yes, a low end sim running FSX is not going to help much with the subtle nuances of the last 3ft prior to touchdown in a real plane, but all the decision making that goes into each flight, there are huge gains in efficiency to be realized with a sim.

Back