Using Flight Simulation for Procedures & Skills Orientation

Unless you asked and they were candid, you would not know at all - or it would be very difficult for you to know, especially if they had some real flight training in the past. At least I was candid about what I was doing.

The benefit of what I am trying to do should be clearly obvious to anyone with experience doing it.

It's really not anywhere near as hard to identify a flight simmer as you think, especially if little or no real world training is involved.

There is very limited -- and in some areas negative -- benefit to what you are trying to do, and I do have experience in it.

You're effectively playing a game. Treat it that way.

Still not understanding that the "procedures" are physical actions, apparently.

Where are your definitions that I asked for? Thus far, you've stated opinion without verifiable substance and then you attempted to elevate that opinion as fact, without substantiating your claim. That's called Elevating An Assumptive Declaration. A tactic used only by those who refuse to accept the truth out of the fear of losing face or appearing incompetent.

You think you've come "this far" in design of a flight training program? You're delusional. You haven't passed the first step.

The delusion is not knowing that such technology is being used by student pilots and licensed pilots alike all over the free world. That's what's so delusional about all this. The very fact that some of you so-called "pilots" don't understand this extremely well known fact within the community of General Aviation, is bewildering to say the least.

Here's how I learned the procedures recently for a new-to-me complex aircraft. I wrote a checklist based on the POH and workflows for engine start, taxi, run-up, takeoff, before-landing, landing, cleanup, and securing. Took about 1.5 hours, on my own.

Ah, yes. So, now it comes out.

1) You did your own thing.
2) You wrote your own set of Procedures.
3) You created your set of workflows.
4) You did it on your own.
5) You took the bull by the horns.
6) You took a publication (POH) from the manufacturer and you put. together something else that worked for you.

Yet, you feign some kind of major incredulity when someone else wants to do something that works for them from a different angle.

I've done that part as well:

1z3urna.jpg

e13wpd.jpg

34fdvs6.jpg

nvxfrc.jpg

What's your point exactly?

I spent 15 minutes ground training with an instructor, and then 30 minutes in the airplane testing them. My checkout took 2.5 hours, so procedures accounted for about 20%. There is NO WAY I could have secured that checkout without the instructor witnessing my process, so the sim wouldn't have helped in the slightest.

Delusional? Delusional is not knowing the difference between what licensed pilot should already know, as apposed to someone just wanting to establish a level of Orientation (there is that word again) that gets them conceptually familiar with what a licensed pilot should already know.

The has to be the height of delusion. Why are you having such a difficult time separating these two things in your own mind. You are already a licensed pilot. So, what on earth would you attempt to draw an analog between what it takes to get you Procedurally Correct, as opposed who has not yet obtained their license and who merely wants to familiarize themselves what what it takes to get Procedurally Correct?

Where is your SA in this conversation? You seem to be completely lost here. You keep jamming this frequency with nonsequitur input after nonsequitur input and I cannot seem to understand WHY. Your entire post makes no sense relative to the topic of this thread. There is absolutely no congruency between the premise of this thread and what you have posted thus far. None.

Help me understand why this is so? Why do you continue to offer nonsequitur reply while completely bastardizing the underlying premise?

Why jam this frequency with Super Ego? You have the license! Of course, nailing getting Procedurally Mapped is going to be a faster process for you. My goodness - that's just plain ole horse sense.

Come on, folks. Geepers. Read the "damn" title of the thread for once.

What did I spend those other two hours on? About an hour airwork, getting the feel for stalls and stall recovery, and all the kinesthetic stuff we have to know (what level flight looks like at cruise, for instance). blah, blah, blah, blah and more blah...[/b]

For the last time. I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT KINESTHETICS!

I am not talking about getting a "feel" for anything. I am talking about getting an UNDERSTANDING of some basic and fundamental concepts that relate to the mental aspects of flying.

How.... many.... more.... times.... do... I... have... to... say... that... fact.

The difference between a complex aircraft and a non-complex aircraft is almost all procedure. You have gear and a variable pitch propeller to deal with. How much of this 2.5 hour checkout would your sim have helped? ZERO. You're wasting your time. If you want to play games, knock yourself out, but stop claiming you're going to save anyone any time at all. For primary training, the savings will be negative because of the bad habits -- and your video shows two of them on the title frame, one of which is a serious safety problem.

Unreal. I'm just speechless. I have no idea how you have watched the video, taken my reason for posting it out of context and managed to find a way to reply to something that has no function inside this thread whatsoever.

The video is not a skills presentation. It is a graphic presentation of the fidelity found in today's flight simulation for the desktop. The very fact that I have to spell that out for you is down right scary in the context of what this thread is supposed to be about.

I had no idea that I would need to spell that out for anyone.

This is just bizarre on so many levels. Gee wiz, guys. Stop feigning such exigency to protect standards and traditions and start reading the "DAMN" thread in context, please.

Un-beeee-leeee-vable!

Could you maybe state in 20 words or less, what it is that you are trying to accomplish in the thread? Honestly, I'm having a hard time identifying what points you are trying to make and I think others are as well.

Damn, you can write a lot of stuff without understanding a word of it.

You should run for office.

You claim you're doing this sim stuff for "procedure orientation." I gave you an example of something that was largely procedural -- primary flight training IS NOT, but a complex endorsement is much closer. And it establishes that your "procedure orientation" has no benefit in terms of hours.

For "procedures," your sim exposes that it hasn't taught you adequately. We warned you about bad habits, and you exposed them for all to see in that video.

I'll say it again. If you want to play, play. But don't claim it has actual training value. It doesn't.

Your "fidelity" is false. An hour in a real aircraft would show you that. Why do you resist that? Are you afraid your house of cards is going to fall? It already has; you just haven't realized it yet.

It's getting rather painful watching you dig this hole for yourself. It's obvious to everyone but you that you don't know what you're talking about.

Could you maybe state in 20 words or less, what it is that you are trying to accomplish in the thread? Honestly, I'm having a hard time identifying what points you are trying to make and I think others are as well.

I had exactly the same thought.

It's step #1 from a systems engineering exercise. You can't design a process you can't describe in just a few words.

Some other things that aren't very probable. That a genX kid at age 19 with 200 hours flight time (all civilian multi engine) will be handed the keys to a king air on a nightly flight to the bush. That the kid at 20 will go to georgia (the real one, not the US state) to get type rated in antonov and tupelov models. That he will have solo time in restored antiques, T-6, F-86, Mig-15 by age 21. At 22 he will fly left seat in 4-engine turpoprops the length of the african continent north-south and to Europe.

I had no qualms whatsoever about entrusting those aeroplanes to JHW because he had a cautious and receptive attitude. Perhaps someone who learned so much so quickly at such a young age, might be qualified to comment on ideas such as yours.

What's probably needs a foundation for causation. Without causation there can be no effect. At age 9, it is not likely that you have the cognitive capacity that you would at age 19. So, the 19-21 year old "JHW" just might lean closer to the probable side of the equation than the 9 year old. Case in point.

With respect to the now 22 year old, I'd be willing take advice from anyone on the relevant subject matter - as long as the individual(s) were fully competent in the same and without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, merely because they are half my age.

On the other side of that equation, during the initial phases of my training, I prefer to receive instruction from a seasoned veteran with a previous background in commercial and/or business jet aviation (Part 121 or Part 91K), given the way in which I'll be conducting future flight operations.

However, in the final analysis it really depends. Being a good judge of character is one thing, but for trusting the source of knowledge to be relied upon in such a critical time of my flying career, I would need a method for measuring competency that goes beyond the initial rhetoric and to the heart of something with historical documented accuracy.

Still, I am young at heart and love working with young people on various intellectual levels and I always maintain an open mind.

I only looked for some variety of 2 answers to show me that an applicant would be successful in the cockpit:

1. I want to work as part of a team.
2. I don't know enough but I want to learn.

More than one or two responses of "I will..." or "I know..." was and is a red flag. I can teach anyone to fly an aeroplane. I can teach anyone navigation and meteorology. I cannot teach a safe attitude.

I would think a safe attitude would be found in those who have a safe mindset, as opposed to good safe verbal rhetoric. They would have a history of demonstrating a safety conscious in mission critical environments. The would understand the need for Procedure, even if they do not yet comprehend the types of Procedures to are yet to learn. They would have a Strategic mindset with the capability of acting Tactically. They would not be adverse to Research as a method to accumulate useable knowledge and they would be clear on the differences between having correct knowledge and applying it correctly.

My most sacred responsibility is to protect my family - first and foremost - without fail. If I am going to use a high-performance jet in both my business and personal life as a private owner, then I have duty and an obligation to become the most competent Aviator that I can be. Which means by definition that I will take any path necessary to become the most proficient, efficient and safest Pilot that I can possibly be.

I can't be a Chuck Yeager. I can't be a Bob Hoover (though I would have loved the opportunity to train with him). I can be any of the myriad of Aviators that I have come to respect over the years. But, I have no choice in the matter to become the safest I can possibly be through preparing my mind for the future.

Single Pilot RVSM operations in a jet between FL310 and FL450, demands that I take this matter seriously.

I've read many NTSB reports. I continue to read many NTSB reports. I am very conscious and aware of the realities involved in failing to taking safety seriously. I don't take unnecessary risk in my personal life or business life. And, I have no plans to start taking unnecessary risk in my future life and an Aviator with or without souls on-board.

As I have said before, I pledge to always fly by four (4) basic guiding principles:

Principle #1: Safety
Principle #2: Safety
Principle #3: Safety
Principle #4: Have some fun

If I am fortunate enough to reach the fourth principle at the conclusion of any flight, then so be it. However, my main focus will always be safety as a single pilot operator.

This is why I seek a head start on developing a good safety mentality and safety consciousness that is related to flying. It is also why I have carved out two (2) consecutive years for total dedication to training, ratings from private through jet type, time building & skills development, OEM training, single pilot certification, RVSM certification and upset recovery training in type.

I care about safety.

I care about safety.

Read what the FAA has to say about "hazardous attitudes." You show four of their five categories in this thread (the only one missing is "resignation").

I don't see how you could possibly be a safe pilot, at least without a major attitude adjustment.

Procedures are not even close to the whole thing.

If I wanted a twitter account so that I could sent tweets or engage in twitting, I could have signed up for that.

This is supposed to be a dialectic medium for ideas, discussion and debate.

You would know what this thread was about, if it were not for the off-topic banter blown about like a bad flu by those who posture for the bleachers and the choir. It does not take much thought at all to figure out why you are having difficulty finding the point in this thread.

If the naysayers had not ruined the thread, your last question would not be in existence.

If I wanted a twitter account so that I could sent tweets or engage in twitting, I could have signed up for that.

You would know what this thread was about, if it were not for the off-topic banter blown about like a bad flu by those who posture for the bleachers and the choir. It does not take much thought at all to figure out why you are having difficulty finding the point in this thread.

If the naysayers had not ruined the thread, your last question would not be in existence.

Discussion starts with an actual idea. It's not at all clear what yours is. You've said several different things -- all of them false or tautological.

We had a joke in grad school about this sort of thing from undergrads -- "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bulls**t." It's not unusual to run across an undergrad who has used that strategy to great success in high school, and expects it to continue.

So, state your point in 20 words or less, or I doubt anyone will believe it exists.

Read what the FAA has to say about "hazardous attitudes." You show four of their five categories in this thread (the only one missing is "resignation").

I don't see how you could possibly be a safe pilot, at least without a major attitude adjustment.

Procedures are not even close to the whole thing.

It was not the FAA who formulate the notorious five, it was ERAU. I am familiar with the document and what you just wrote is unfounded.

You might as well be making it up as you go along.

You don't read. You don't comprehend. You make assumptions that are unfounded based on non-existent facts that you make up in your own mind and then you act on them.

So, which of the five categories do you fit into exactly:

Number 3?

- You seem to feel the need to simply respond without taking care to know exactly what you are responding to.

Number 5?

- You have demonstrated a very strong tendency in this thread to show how good you are.

That's Impulsivity and Macho attributed to your account.

Well, look, in your original statement, you listed some things you wanted to accomplish with the thread, and some you didn't. All of those have been addressed, to your liking or not. So either this thread has morphed in to something else, or there is some other underlying issue that you are trying to address that isn't getting out in your communications.

You appear to be frustrated that either a) nobody understands your point, or b) nobody agrees with it. You can correct a). Can't help you with b).

I would suggest you get good at using the mouse to look around and keep doing that all the time like your head would move in real life.

Forget that. That's way too tedious. Get the latest version of TrackIr. When you open it up and look at what you paid for, you are going to think I'm crazy. Then, when you get it working, you will be totally amazed. Then you will wonder how anyone ever used a flight sim without it. Seriously. Get it.

No, really. I'm not kidding. Get it.

It was not the FAA who formulate the notorious five, it was ERAU. I am familiar with the document and what you just wrote is unfounded.

You might as well be making it up as you go along.

You don't read. You don't comprehend. You make assumptions that are unfounded based on non-existent facts that you make up in your own mind and then you act on them.

So, which of the five categories do you fit into exactly:

Number 3?

- You seem to feel the need to simply respond without taking care to know exactly what you are responding to.

Number 5?

- You have demonstrated a very strong tendency in this thread to show how good you are.

That's Impulsivity and Macho attributed to your account.

Cute.

I have learned how to fly an aircraft safely. You haven't. This is not just my opinion; I've been evaluated by at least six flight instructors (checkouts and phase checks) and a designated examiner. You've accepted feedback from...nobody (at least not from a real pilot). Any objection means "you don't understand." So, explain it. BRIEFLY, and without all the BS.

Do I know everything about flying? Certainly not, but I can get a 172/177/182/PA28 home safely under appropriate circumstances (e.g., VFR). Does that mean I can hop into a random aircraft and fly it safely? Even for the cases where that's legal (e.g., a Mooney or Bonanza), it's doubtful.

No, I don't show the same attitude I show to you to everyone else. Could I learn something from Sac Arrow? Probably (well, almost certainly -- I know he flies an Arrow, and I haven't). How about JHW? Very likely. A random tower controller? Probably. The occasional student who posts having trouble flaring to land? Yes (it prompts close examination about what I do in such situations -- very valuable). You? Hell, no. You "know everything," but don't really know anything. Your insistence that you can diagnose better than your doctors is very telling. Generally, I'll let someone teach until they prove they can't. You did that very early in this thread.

Damn, you can write a lot of stuff without understanding a word of it. You should run for office.

You could have fooled me. I thought you were running for Major of Pilots of America, given your bent for nonsequitur reply.

You claim you're doing this sim stuff for "procedure orientation."

So, you can read!

I gave you an example of something that was largely procedural

You "gave me" nothing of the sort. You demonstrated how "good you are" by basing a nonsequitur reply on a completely unrelated subject that had no bearing on anything inside this thread. You then turned around and pretended as if that was somehow on-topic reply with merit.

You've been doing this since you walked into this thread and yet you seem to think that no one other than you can tell the difference. Posting a summary of what you created out of a POH and then recanting how easy it was for you to get Procedurally Correct on an aircraft that you found to be initially "complex," says absolutely nothing related to what this thread is supposed to be about.

You did that because you are STILL operating under the false premise that you wish to make the reason for this threads existence. You can sit here and attempt to displace the real premise of this thread to your hearts content, that won't change the real reason why I created it.

-- primary flight training IS NOT, but a complex endorsement is much closer. And it establishes that your "procedure orientation" has no benefit in terms of hours.

This is the height of nonsequitur. This has ZERO to do with the premise of this thread. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

For "procedures," your sim exposes that it hasn't taught you adequately. We warned you about bad habits, and you exposed them for all to see in that video.

This is precisely why you do not belong in this thread. Why? Out of all the videos that I have posted inside this thread, not one of them contains any content from me. Yet, you assumed that it did and that is evidenced by this last statement of yours, which clearly demonstrates what I mean by your total lack of SA inside this thread.

You are having too difficult a time even figuring out what's going on inside this thread - how on earth can you be trusted with a real aircraft.

The were random videos are of other people. They were posted to demonstrate the graphical content and systems level fidelity of what today's flight simulators can produce. This clearly demonstrates that you might be a candidate for ERAU's Hazardous Attitude Award number #3:

Hazardous Attitude 3: Impulsivity

'Do it QUICKLY!'

This occurs to pilots who feel the need to do anything, immediately. Such people who display such attitude work on the concept that 'doing something is better than doing nothing'. Such an example of impulsivity occurs particularly in the ab-initio stages of flight training. For example when facing unusual attitudes such as a descending turn, most pilots would pull back on the control column on impulse. Doing so would cause indicated airspeed to increase dangerously, hence proper procedure would be to throttle back before applying back pressure. Acting on impulse is dangerous as it usually involve uncalculated and irrational actions.

I'll say it again. If you want to play, play. But don't claim it has actual training value. It doesn't.

I'll ask it again: If you refuse to read in context, why bother posting out of context? You don't seem to care about what you respond to.

Your "fidelity" is false. An hour in a real aircraft would show you that. Why do you resist that? Are you afraid your house of cards is going to fall? It already has; you just haven't realized it yet.

Your pretense precedes you by a country mile and is quite transparent.

You just made another analogy to the kinesthetic realm, which has nothing to do with the point of this thread. And, then you conclude in your mind that you are actually replying on the merits.

I'm not going to waste my time explaining the differential between logical and kinesthetic anymore to you. Either that's a concept that you can grasp or it is not one you can grasp.

It's getting rather painful watching you dig this hole for yourself. It's obvious to everyone but you that you don't know what you're talking about.

The hole is all yours, apparently. You've just demonstrated ERAU Notorious Number 5:

Hazardous Attitude 5: Macho

'Come on! I can do this!'

Pilots have a tendency to show how good they are. Many associate this attitude with males (especially those who display alpha male characteristics) but such an attitude can also happen in females. It occurs when pilots are trying to prove themselves in the wrong way, which often results in taking unnecessary risks.

You've added nothing to the thread but speculation, assumption, innuendo, accounts of personal accomplishment and in the process you have clearly demonstrated two (2) of the hazards that ERAU as researched for the FAA.

Good luck with that.

Still waiting for a coherent, BRIEF description of your point.

You claim I don't understand. OK, explain it. Without the BS. You're being given a chance.....

So, if your sim has nothing to do with really learning procedures (despite your protest, that is EXACTLY what a complex checkout is about), and has nothing to do with the physics of flying, what does it have to do with?

Remember, be brief. If there are coherent ideas here, they should be explainable in a few sentences.

Discussion starts with an actual idea.

Discussion starts with actual comprehension of the idea. If you have no comprehension, you cannot offer any relevant on-topic discussion. You've proven this theory.

It's not at all clear what yours is.

That's because you feign having and understanding of the underlying premise and you have already put yourself out there for making off-topic comments that don't have anything to do with the price of tea in Xiao Chen Province, or the differential price of the Euro -vs- the USD.

You've said...

What - are going to pretend as if you've actually read what I said now, after spending nearly a week failing to read what I've actual said?

...several different things -- all of them false or tautological.

Where you have not written a singular iota that explains why. All you have done is claim what you have done, out of context, off-topic and completely in violation of better judgement and common sense.

Orientation to Procedures for a licensed pilot making a kinesthetic transition into a new aircraft, has absolutely zero to do with the point behind this thread. Yet, you have convinced yourself that it does. Just how delusional is that.

We had a joke in grad school about this sort of thing from undergrads -- "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bulls**t."

You don't even offer that much, kid. If the grad school you attended taught you to assume yourself right over a cliff, I'd say someone need to seek a refund - or admit that got robbed.

It's not unusual to run across an undergrad who has used that strategy to great success in high school, and expects it to continue.

It is even more typical to find someone who knows not what they say, or to whom they say it.

Yours is but a faint blowing in the wind. Not the jet wash you wish it to be.

So, state your point in 20 words or less, or I doubt anyone will believe it exists.

Twitter suits Tweeters who lack substantive Twits.

Well, look, in your original statement, you listed some things you wanted to accomplish with the thread, and some you didn't. All of those have been addressed, to your liking or not.

Actually, they have not been addressed at all. You've seen nothing but side-stepping the premise, show-boating and replying with nonsequitur gambits that range from denial of the question itself, or pretending that kinesthetic realities are the equivalency of logical orientation.

Furthermore, I haven't even put forth a technical question in the format that I had planned to use, precisely because of the irrelevant banter being spewed by most who chose to ignore the reality of those licensed pilots who came in here and stated their use of the technology to their own benefit.

So, the side-trackers ignore that which sits directly under their nose (Zulu Flight Training, as one example) and insist on pontifications about how they can magically turn a logical mental procedure into kineshtetic reach across the cockpit panel while "feeling" what the aircraft is doing along the way. None of that is the point of this thread.

So either this thread has morphed in to something else, or there is some other underlying issue that you are trying to address that isn't getting out in your communications.

I thought that was obvious. I thought it was obvious that others have morphed the thread into something that it was never designed to be. I think an intelligent read of the thread pretty much points that out as fact.

You appear to be frustrated that either a) nobody understands your point, or b) nobody agrees with it. You can correct a). Can't help you with b).

Frustrated, LOL! Hardly. More like amused.

I find it interesting that some so-called pilots can't recognize the use of certain technology that is parked right under their back door, inside the community that they are supposed to know something about. And, I find it very amusing that some of these same so-called pilots, refuse to admit the fact that simulation (desktop of otherwise) for the purpose of orientation and learning (with the correct modeling) is something that was already in use well before this thread got started. Those things I find rather amusing.

What I find rather scary, is the notion that some of these blind attitudes are actually taking the the skies above me! That's a terrifying thought. To not be able to admit when you are wrong, continue to proceed down the path of being dead wrong and then making decisions out of pure assumption without understanding the underlying premise, is holistically terrifying to say the least - especially when that kind of behavior comes from "pilots" who are supposed to be of a different mindset.

Astonishing, really.

STILL waiting for a succinct description. You say I'm assuming. Correct it. BRIEFLY.

Are you capable of it? If you can't explain it, it doesn't exist.

Vr, I'm late to the party and maybe asking for trouble but I'll try and offer something new. I played flight sim( and still do actually, even after getting my PPL) for fun. I never tried to supplement any of my training with it. Here's why- you can do anything on a sim without really "needing" to follow any procedures. No matter how realistic the sim is, it can't substitute needing to do procedures correctly or follow rules. In a real plane if you do procedures out of order, something bad usually happens. If you do procedures out of order in the sim, something bad happens but their rarely is real problem- you just start over. Sure you can learn from that mistake, and that very well may be your point, but that kind of learning requires you to figure it out and correct it. In training you have a CFI to tell you you made a mistake or are about to make a mistake. Learning from mistakes may work in other instances in life but it does not work so well in flying.

Here's what got me to think of this- in one of your videos you linked to show how real flight sim has gotten( the one with the touch and go's) if you fast forward to the last landing by the sim pilot you can see that he announces to the virtual ATC that he is clear of the runway requesting taxi- or words to that effect. However, he is not actually clear of the runway as it is kind of clear that he purposefully holds short of what he clearly thinks is a hold short line. The problem is, it's not a hold short line in his direction. The dashed lines means he can pass that line in his direction when exitig the runway and in fact should! Now in the sim, no one is there to tell him he is making a mistake, but he is- so he is left to figure this out on his own, which is highly unlikely. In real flying, you make a mistake like that and your CFI, ATC and whoever else is around is going to tell you as it is a pretty serious error. I recognize this is not you flying but it serves to show you my point which is you can learn procedures by using a sim, but who is there to tell you if they are wrong? You run a large risk of learning the wrong procedure- that's not a good thing.

Forget that. That's way too tedious. Get the latest version of TrackIr. When you open it up and look at what you paid for, you are going to think I'm crazy. Then, when you get it working, you will be totally amazed. Then you will wonder how anyone ever used a flight sim without it. Seriously. Get it.

No, really. I'm not kidding. Get it.

FaceTrackNoIR, is another good option when run with the EZdok protocol.

I find it interesting that some so-called pilots can't recognize the use of certain technology that is parked right under their back door, inside the community that they are supposed to know something about.

Most of us know about it. We also know how limited it is. As I said earlier it will not translate as well as you think it will. Its great for supplementing your learning and trying things you wouldn't want to do in the air but it is severely limited.

STILL waiting for a succinct description. You say I'm assuming. Correct it. BRIEFLY.

Are you capable of it? If you can't explain it, it doesn't exist.

When you get around to actually reading, comprehending and responding the premise of this thread, then you can call some shots and demand some "succinct descriptions." Until then, you can sit on the sidelines (on the bench) where you belong.

Posting your transition process into what you call a high performance aircraft and kidding yourself that somehow that has anything to do with this thread and then faking a declaration & demand that someone else to prove what they know, when your entire request is based on nonsequitur hallucinations running around inside your little head, primarily because you are unable to admit what is already stipulated by those who know better, is tantamount to declaring yourself King Tutankhamun and the proving it by showing us the royal robe you lifted from your room on the 3rd floor during your last stay at the Luxor in Las Vegas.

Go read the title of the thread and report back once you've actually comprehended its meaning. Until then, contact Departure Control at 120.9 and have a better day.

Actually, they have not been addressed at all. You've seen nothing but side-stepping the premise, show-boating and replying with nonsequitur gambits that range from denial of the question itself, or pretending that kinesthetic realities are the equivalency of logical orientation.

Furthermore, I haven't even put forth a technical question in the format that I had planned to use, precisely because of the irrelevant banter being spewed by most who chose to ignore the reality of those licensed pilots who came in here and stated their use of the technology to their own benefit.

So, the side-trackers ignore that which sits directly under their nose (Zulu Flight Training, as one example) and insist on pontifications about how they can magically turn a logical mental procedure into kineshtetic reach across the cockpit panel while "feeling" what the aircraft is doing along the way. None of that is the point of this thread.

I thought that was obvious. I thought it was obvious that others have morphed the thread into something that it was never designed to be. I think an intelligent read of the thread pretty much points that out as fact.

Frustrated, LOL! Hardly. More like amused.

I find it interesting that some so-called pilots can't recognize the use of certain technology that is parked right under their back door, inside the community that they are supposed to know something about. And, I find it very amusing that some of these same so-called pilots, refuse to admit the fact that simulation (desktop of otherwise) for the purpose of orientation and learning (with the correct modeling) is something that was already in use well before this thread got started. Those things I find rather amusing.

What I find rather scary, is the notion that some of these blind attitudes are actually taking the the skies above me! That's a terrifying thought. To not be able to admit when you are wrong, continue to proceed down the path of being dead wrong and then making decisions out of pure assumption without understanding the underlying premise, is holistically terrifying to say the least - especially when that kind of behavior comes from "pilots" who are supposed to be of a different mindset.

Astonishing, really.

I think the problem here is a failure to understand the underlying premise (me included.)

I THINK your underlying premise is "home flight simulators are a good tool for learning certain flight procedures" and your basic question is "do you agree with me?" to which the general consensus answer appears to be "to some extent yes but here are some caveats."

I respectfully nominate this thread as the most absurd discussion so far of 2013.

Notice the number of seasoned and well respected PoA CFI's / DPE's / ATC's / and FSDO Experienced personnel who have stayed out of this whole exercise....telling isn't it?

That's not a criticism of those of us who have tried to respond to you, Vr. It's a sign that you are playing in a game that's way out of your league, and damn haven't we all tried to get some sense into your head.

Signing Off

Bottom line on this thread, for me, is that if it works for you, do it and have fun. The tricky thing is that you won't even know if it works for you until you do it. I did some simming before flight training and some of it helped, but the biggest thing is just flight time. Real flight time.

With respect to the drivers license, I think a visit to my garage would demonstrate whether or not I am possession of the same. The last tine I checked, they don't allow EB 16.4s on the road in my state without one.

Nice car-name-dropping there! I had to look it up. The Bugatti Veyron EB 16.4 starts at about $1,700,000 new.

Vr, I'm late to the party and maybe asking for trouble but I'll try and offer something new. I played flight sim( and still do actually, even after getting my PPL) for fun. I never tried to supplement any of my training with it. Here's why- you can do anything on a sim without really "needing" to follow any procedures.

Thanks for the on-topic input. :)

I would think (correct me if I'm wrong) that this something of a benefit as well. What I mean by that is the fact that you can go ahead and make mistakes in the sim, not die and then learn from those mistakes with proper guidance from a competent pilot.

The other idea I had in mind was to not use it as merely a game, but as a tool. The simulations are not perfect. Not every aircraft model you install will have high enough fidelity to be a competent platform for procedures. However, my point has been that over the years, the technology has improved such that there are now significant aircraft models out there that do provide a level of "acceptable" systems fidelity in the logical dimension of flying, that do make them plausible platforms for procedures orientation in some situations.

I've also suggested that when you combine the flight simulator with a good aircraft model, good flight controls, hands-free 3D cockpit visualizations based on head movements, external 3D cockpit visualizations based on head movement, a wide enough flat panel (at least 27 inches minimum) live ATC modeling in real-time and you combine that with actual flight training publications, a competent pilot and/or CFI without personal hang-ups (a must), as well as a properly motivated student or student candidate - then you have the makings for doing some good Orientation to Procedures type of work.

What I am not suggesting is that desktop flight simulation will and/or should replace primary flight instruction. And, I am not suggesting that any delusion should be entered into that causes one to think that they are going to obtain an understanding of the kinesthetics of flying real aircraft.

I'm going to use the technology prior to starting my flight training because I don't have time to engage actual flight training right now, but also because I want to begin the process of orienting myself on those things related to flight instruction that professional flight instructors (that include attitude and demeanor as well as having a CFI/CFII rating in my opinion) conclude are some of the biggest reasons why many students development mental hang-ups during their initial training.

I've given several examples of what that looks like in this thread already, but I'll give one more: ATC Comms.

In one or more of the videos that I posted, you saw someone doing their PilotEdge I-5 Test. You can treat that as a game, or you can take it seriously from the perspective of the mental work that goes into passing that check. The things being done by that pilot (who happens to be a real instrument rated pilot by the way) are said to be many of the same logical procedures that he would have to do, if he were flying that exact same route in a real aircraft. Does the brain care? No.

What enters the visual cortex and then into the brain, is stored as a memory - very simply put. How that memory gets positioned inside the brain via the VC is not the concern of the brain. All the brain "knows" is that a memory has been stored and is now available for recall. And, that is what interests me so much about using this stuff.

You know, its funny. I can remember my flight instructor telling me 20 years ago, to sit down in a chair with a plunger between my knees and a poster of the Cessna 172 cockpit pinned to my wall at home. He told me to "go over the 'procedures' that we talked about as if you're flying the real thing."

So, I drove to the airport bookstore, bought a poster of a Cessna 172, went to the hardware store and bought a new plunger, then went home and pinned the poster to the wall. I sat in front of that poster for hours at a time trying to remember the procedures I was supposed to follow and working the plunger between my knees as I reached for wall mounted dials, buttons and switches printed on the poster itself.

If that instructor were around today, between lessons he'd no doubt be telling me to re-fly the route and practice the procedures just like we did earlier today, before your next lesson. I'm going to test you on the previous lesson the next time we meet before we move on to the next. I have absolutely zero doubt that's what Chaz, would tell me to do, if I had access to the kind of technology that I'm trying to discuss inside this thread.

He would actually encourage it - not despise it. And, he would be proactive in helping me to use it, no doubt. Chaz, was a born teacher. He loved to teach and he loved to find ways to get his students better engaged in the process of learning. He was not afraid to inject new things into the learning process, as long as it benefited the student in the long run.

I could only spend four (4) lessons with him - but I wish he were around today.

However, he is not actually clear of the runway as it is kind of clear that he purposefully holds short of what he clearly thinks is a hold short line.

The "Hold Short" instruction given by ATC and "Clear of the Active" communication given by a pilot, are two different things. I do remember that from 20 years ago and only four (4) lessons. It was one of the few things I do remember.

Two things:

1) The video of the Skycatcher is not an example of someone working on procedures in the same way that I have in mind.

2) The video of "Keith" shows that he is indeed "Off The Active" runway after he completes is test.

I'm not sure which video you are responding to exactly.

More to your point, this is exactly the kind of things that this thread was supposed to be all about. If I had been the pilot in that video, and you had felt that you saw me inside or outside the hold short lines, then you could simply make a post telling me to:

"Pay attention to the Hold Short lines next time. You were on the wrong side of the paint!"

A perfect example of how this thread was supposed to turn out. That does not have to be a persistent "bad habit." It could indeed be a moment of clarity and appropriate correction. Others watching it could also benefit from the information and do better in their own actual flying.

Keith, is an actual Instrument Rating Pilot. So, what you see him doing is what "Keith" does - not necessarily what I would do.

I keep reading that the GA community is dying. I think one way that it can turn that corner, is for its members to start thinking outside the box of convention when it comes to how it deals with the non-flying public - in addition to changing some of its long standing attitudes about "us" vs "them" when it comes to someone entering the community (or re-entering in my case) with the intention of going re-starting their flight training after a very long time away.

Now in the sim, no one is there to tell him he is making a mistake, but he is- so he is left to figure this out on his own, which is highly unlikely.

With the internet being what it is, no one is "on their own." Like I said, if he had the same idea that I have, he could have posted that video on a GA Pilots Forum and gotten someone to critique his flight.

It seems to me that would be a much more interesting component to flight forums than tossing insults back and forth to each other like some (not you) tend to love to do about things that in the long run, really don't amount to a hill of beans.

If he's on the wrong side of the broken lines, then guess what - you can tell him about it after watching his video, and he can load-up another flight and try it again until he gets it right. It is an easy correction that does to have to become a bad habit and he does not have to pay for it with his life, much more importantly - nor does anyone else.

In real flying, you make a mistake like that and your CFI, ATC and whoever else is around is going to tell you as it is a pretty serious error.

Someone critiquing his video can do the same - just not in real time. If the sim pilot treats it like a game, then he won't care one bit - nor should he care one bit. But, if he treats it like it was part of a broader design on learning some fundamentally important concepts related to his future as a real pilot, then his attitude and demeanor about taking such criticism will be completely different. Thus, his attempt to correct will be certain.

I recognize this is not you flying but it serves to show you my point which is you can learn procedures by using a sim, but who is there to tell you if they are wrong? You run a large risk of learning the wrong procedure- that's not a good thing.

Case in point as stated above. The problem is resolved at this level with the internet, video and competent pilots willing to critique. Heck, if I post a video like that, go ahead and tear into it - tear it to pieces - tear it to shreds. I'll only build a new video having attempted to correct the problems that other competent pilots have detected.

That was supposed to be the point of the thread.

Thanks for the contribution! Your points are all very well taken and understood.

I respectfully nominate this thread as the most absurd discussion so far of 2013.

Likewise. I respectfully nominate such respectful nominations as being the most absurd decision so far of 2013, as winner of the "Anathema to Common Sense & Better Judgement Award" of 2013.

Notice the number of seasoned and well respected PoA CFI's / DPE's / ATC's / and FSDO Experienced personnel who have stayed out of this whole exercise....telling isn't it?

Should we also assume that none of the respected PoA CFI's / DPE's / ATC's / and FSDO Experienced personnel on this forum have ever or would ever darken the doorway at:

http://www.zuluflighttraining.com/]Zulu Flight Training
]RedBird Skyport Flight School

Is there attitude about using desktop flight simulator technology that same when they visit places like the above, or does their lack of existence in this thread only apply of the flight sim comes from FSX, P3D or X-Plane?

Also, please help me understand - would these same well respected PoA CFI's / DPE's / ATC's / and FSDO Experienced personnel on this forum conclude that Lockheed Martin, has lost its collective mind by buying the underlying code used in FSX, optimizing it and offering it as something that:

Private pilots, commercial organizations, militaries and academia rely on Prepar3D for immersive, experiential learning.

Prepar3D offers students and professionals a platform to:
  • Experience a mission before it happens to increase effectiveness and reduce response time
  • Learn and test their knowledge in the same environment in which they will operate
  • Re-create scenarios with operational data and experiment with different variables
  • Experience a learning lab where science, technology, engineering and math principles are taught in an immersive environment
  • Train for scenarios in aviation, air traffic control, ground vehicle operation and disaster response
  • Prepar3D furthers the development of Microsoft® ESP™ while maintaining compatibility with Microsoft Flight Simulator X, allowing many thousands of add-ons to be used within Prepar3D.

That's not a criticism...

Constructive criticism has to be rooted contrary fact, not merely personal opinion. Its not that you have offered real criticism, but that you cloak critiquing language behind never really understanding what was being put forth as the very thing you mistakenly believe you have criticized.

Go tell RedBird, Zulu and Lockheed Martin that they deserve the award for must absurd decision in 2013, and invite all of the very well respected PoA CFI's / DPE's / ATC's / and FSDO Experienced personnel on this forum when you do.

Signing Off

You never "Signed On" because you never understood that such technology exists and is already being used similar in fashion to what I am contemplating.

BTW - did you ever stop to think that may the reason why all the very well respected PoA CFI's / DPE's / ATC's / and FSDO Experienced personnel on this forum have stayed away is because they just might all agree with your opinion?

Things that make you go "hmmmmm?"

Better yet, Dutchess. Would you prefer I go buy Lockheed Martin's Prepared 3, instead of using either FSX or X-Plane? Be very careful how you answer that question.

Bottom line on this thread, for me, is that if it works for you, do it and have fun. The tricky thing is that you won't even know if it works for you until you do it.

Very true.

I did some simming before flight training and some of it helped, but the biggest thing is just flight time. Real flight time.

No doubt.

I realize that nothing compares to actual. I just don't have a schedule for that right now, but I can spend some time with a computer and a good simulation, so that I can get at least some orientation under my belt. Heck, it was 20 years ago when took those four (4) lessons. Most of that stuff is long gone from my memory - though some did stick - just not enough.

Nice car-name-dropping there! I had to look it up. The Bugatti Veyron EB 16.4 starts at about $1,700,000 new.

Very true.

I could very easily post a private video of me pushing it around the track with some close friends, but I'm afraid if I did that then I'd be accused of some kind of "Hazardous Attitude" violation and I don't want that on my record. :nono:

It really wasn't car-name-dropping. He asked for it. He posed questions about whether or not a drivers license had been properly secured.

Still waiting on the Agera R, however. That should be a blast as well. It would be only the second one of its kind in the United States.

I could very easily post a private video of me pushing it around the track with some close friends, but I'm afraid if I did that then I'd be accused of some kind of "Hazardous Attitude" violation and I don't want that on my record. :nono:

It really wasn't car-name-dropping. He asked for it. He posed questions about whether or not a drivers license had been properly secured.

Still waiting on the Agera R, however. That should be a blast as well. It would be only the second one of its kind in the United States.

I would like to see a video of you driving the car and talking about this thread. Why?
Because I don't believe you have one or any part of this is real (except you like flight sims).
If you're a flight sim guy, fine, just come clean. I don't believe you're a bored multi-millionaire with nothing better to do all day than write the most long winded posts I've ever seen.
Goofing us wouldn't matter except people here were taking the time to genuinely try and help you.
So I'm calling you out, put up or shut-up.

If I'm wrong I'll eat my words, you can come fly my plane for free, I'll even buy dinner.

I would like to see a video of you driving the car and talking about this thread.

What you think about what an anonymous person has or does not have on the internet is moot. Period. Now, go try to convince yourself otherwise. You'd be spending your time very unwisely, but something tells me that's probably par for the course for you.

Furthermore, you'd be maximally surprised to find out what millionaires do with their spare time online (very surprised). If you were one, you'd know the truth of that statement.

I'm here expressly for the reasons stipulated in the title. If you can't read or understand the title of the OP, then I'd appreciate you taking a back seat to those who can (which have been a precious few at this point).

Thanks for your post. It had a lot of intellectual brio.

VR, since you obviously can afford it, why don't you just buy a high-end full motion simulator. http://www.redbirdflightsimulations.com/mcx/ , its only $90K

I'm sure it would look nice sitting next to your Bugatti Veyron.

Also, since you want to learn as much as possible with a computer first, why not hire a flight instructor to teach you in the simulator. I'm sure you would learn a lot this way. Then when you go to start your flight training, I would be certain that you would save a couple thousand $ in your flying time overall.

My question is this. If you can afford a Veyron, why the heck do you care about saving time in your training with a simulator? Simulators are for the poor guys like me to pretend we are flying since we cant afford to do it every day.

I do however think simulators can help. I am a student pilot and they did help me understand the basics before I got into an airplane, however they wont help you much after that until you get to your instrument rating, so I wouldn't expect much more from one.

Last thing I am going to say is that your attitude and mindset is ridiculous. This has got to be one of the most absurd threads I have ever seen here. The pilots here are overwhelmingly helpful. You need to be respectful of them and not carry the attitude you have. They have the experience and knowledge you desire, you DON'T!

More dumb ideas, no doubt.

Oops! Did she just say that you could "maintain your instrument rating currency without an instructor present."

Hmmm. It seems like this kind of technology has a place somewhere in aviation.

But, of course - use of stuff similar to this is just not going to help anybody at all (according to some of the experts here).

VR, since you obviously can afford it, why don't you just buy a high-end full motion simulator. http://www.redbirdflightsimulations.com/mcx/ , its only $90K

The one I'm eyeballing is closer to $70k. I've already spoken with RedBird directly about the physical requirements for installation (room size, electrical power, ventilation, humidity, air conditioning, networking, etc.).

I've already stated somewhere in this thread that this was on my radar, but only after I took delivery, so that I could better understand what my needs were going forward (can the RedBird simulate the VLJ and if so, to what degree, etc.).

So, yes. I already had this conversation with RedBird. It does not fit my needs at this time. While the Phenom 300 and the Citation CJ-IV are both in production, neither the Mustang II (M2), nor the Hondajet are through final certification stages. The SJ30-2, now SyberJet, seems forever stuck in the certification expense black hole and I'm not sure if that aircraft will ever get into full production.

I don't waste money just because I can. I want to match the full motion sim with what I own and operate. That seems to make sense. Since I don't exactly know what that will be given the market realities, I'll wait on the RedBird decision for a while.

Also, since you want to learn as much as possible with a computer first, why not hire a flight instructor to teach you in the simulator. I'm sure you would learn a lot this way.

Time. As stated before, I don't current have the schedule for getting to an airport. I run my business from my home office and time won't permit me to do what I can much more easily do from that location. In about eight (8) months or so, I'll be a full-time student again. Until then, the desktop sim seems to be one of the best alternatives for getting oriented on some logical levels (not all).

My question is this. If you can afford a Veyron, why the heck do you care about saving time in your training with a simulator?

Again, as stated several times already. I care not about cutting corners. Mine is to improve how the human brain deals with Memory & Recall. In fact, the program calls for some mandatory things related to dual cross-country training with an instructor that will almost guarantee that I do not finish anywhere near 40 hours. There will actually be extra time spent with the instructor, just so that key checks can be run on my brain (memory and recall).

I'm not taking this lying down and I care more about quality than I do time savings. So, all of my instructors will be with me in various ways for significantly longer than they would be with a traditional student.

Simulators are for the poor guys like me to pretend we are flying since we cant afford to do it every day.

Getting early orientation is for smart guys who like to set the bell curve. I used to buy my text books back in college a full year head of schedule when I knew the revisions would not change. I read entire texts (often times) before the first day of class in many cases. I walked into all of my class rooms having some Orientation about the subject matter that I was responsible for learning.

Nobody is responsible for my education except me. So, I take the initiative for what I have to learn the best way I can. We are talking about learning here, not money.

A fool is only a fool because he desires to be one.

I do however think simulators can help. I am a student pilot and they did help me understand the basics before I got into an airplane, however they wont help you much after that until you get to your instrument rating, so I wouldn't expect much more from one.

I'm just looking for solid Orientation.

Last thing I am going to say is that your attitude and mindset is ridiculous.

You don't know me.

Read the thread in its proper context, without bias and using better judgment. Common sense will tell you why your interpretation is flawed in this regard. I don't want to continue reviewing the same assumptions and errors of those who have intentionally miss characterized this thread and its intentions. That seems to be a common theme around here.

Last edited:
Looks like I can get this same thing done with a bright set of willing souls and minds elsewhere. This will end my posts here.

To those that have offered sincere encouragement, you likewise have my sincerest thanks. :)

To the naysayers - grow up.

Time. As stated before, I don't current have the schedule for getting to an airport. I run my business from my home office and time won't permit me to do what I can much more easily do from that location. In about eight (8) months or so, I'll be a full-time student again. Until then, the desktop sim seems to be one of the best alternatives for getting oriented on some logical levels (not all).

Why don't you bring the instructor to you? Of course you don't have the time to do that either...:rolleyes2:

Seems to me this thread is a pile of horsecrap. YMWV.

GREAT catch there. I didn't realize he was talking about a Bugatti.

The thing is, I think he really believes this. Maybe I've been "had" in that regard. A big hoax is not beyond a couple of regular posters here.

I have a disturbing thought that he might be bipolar. Several signs are present. And untreated bipolar disorder would make a 3rd class medical exam "interesting."

The thing is, if he has time to post these novels, he clearly had time to get a couple of hours in at the airport and prove us all wrong.

Last edited:
Back