Using an iPad with an IFR GPS to fly an approach

Wow. :dunno:

Perhaps you should read some of the other responses made in this thread and educate yourself and become a safer pilot.

You show me where you cannot enter a procedure into an IFR box manually by entering in the way points manually.

You'd get TERM sensitivity within 30 or 40nm of the airport if it was your destination in the GPS, even without any approaches loaded.

Here is a diagram from the King KLN-89b (TSO-129 non-waas) IFR GPS documentation:

overview.png

I don't think you get TERM mode scaling without a loaded approach. How would the gps know that you were planning to land at that airport, if it's just in there as a waypoint?

I don't think you get scaling on an iPad, even with an approach loaded.

On a related subject, I fly an airplane with an IFR approved KNS-80. I can legally file /I based on this device, which allows enroute RNAV.

I'd trust a 'backup' iPad more than the IFR approved KNS-80 for enroute navigation for sure. YMMV.

Last edited:
You show me where you cannot enter a procedure into an IFR box manually by entering in the way points manually.
Well, you certainly can, but not legally or safely. Read the AFMS of any IFR approach GPS. It says clearly that you cannot legally fly a GPS-based approach unless the approach data was retrieved from the database. For the safety aspects, see the discussion above, which tell you how you could end up outside the obstruction protected area if you do it that way.

Last edited:
This sort of thing is why the FAA put airport center points NOT in the middle of the largest runway. To discourage pilots from going Direct To and using the OBS knob to dial runway centerline heading and do a roll your own approach. Which works pretty well btw but is illegal as hell. You can still so it with airports that have only one runway. NOT recommended....

This sort of thing is why the FAA put airport center points NOT in the middle of the largest runway. To discourage pilots from going Direct To and using the OBS knob to dial runway centerline heading and do a roll your own approach. Which works pretty well btw but is illegal as hell. You can still so it with airports that have only one runway. NOT recommended....

Wow...the FAA had a lot of foresight there!:lol:

Back