Using a different AME

A

AlwaysLearning

I am using a new AME shortly. I have used the same AME my entire career. I do not have access to my normal AME. I have a long (very long) medical history with many checked boxes, however no special issuances or history of denials. I do have an old omissions that was disclosed and cleared by the FAA. I’m fearful of using a new AME, even though there are no changes to my medical application. My concern is primarily due to my history. Is this warranted? Thank you.

It depends. Bring any eligibility letter(s) with you.
New AME prints the box 60 sheet available after the file is opened, and all you previously marked yes, are listed there. That tells NEW AME these are probably vetted. In extreme situations I order up and read the FAA Medical record…..

Back when I was younger and moving around a lot I don't think I ever saw the same AME twice. Then I had a long spell with one AME until he retired and it was going to the new one (who turned out to be a disaster) that had me grounded for about twelve weeks. My next AME helped me unravel the mess the bad AME did. It was amusing that he wrote "this is a ******** diagnosis" on the letter to the FAA that got me off the SI. I travelled back to the DC Area a few times to get him to reissue me after that. I finally did one with the local AME that came recommended.

As Dr. B points out, I have my entire medical file that explains my "PRNC" check boxes and occasionally I get asked "what this is about." I've given up and gone basic med now.

I am using a new AME shortly. I have used the same AME my entire career. I do not have access to my normal AME. I have a long (very long) medical history with many checked boxes, however no special issuances or history of denials. I do have an old omissions that was disclosed and cleared by the FAA. I’m fearful of using a new AME, even though there are no changes to my medical application. My concern is primarily due to my history. Is this warranted? Thank you.
You don't say why you don't have access to your old AME, but could you make it so? You can use any AME in the country, and a plane ticket might be cheaper than the alternative. I had some relatively minor PRNC stuff on my medical and when I went to a new AME he wanted me to jump through some hoops I'd already jumped for the prior AME. "Well, it's not in my files." It wasn't anything I couldn't get done; it was just a hassle. If I had anything really oddball though, I'd do whatever I could to stick with the same guy.

I can see how having the same AME would be helpful if you have a long list of medical conditions. And presuming that - is finding and going to your preferred AME no longer an option ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back