Used Aircraft Parts

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
For discussion and my education, let's say that I desired to add a GNS430 and it's accompanying CDI to my panel and found a used one somewhere for the price point I wanted. (but discussion could be expanded to any used item, not just avionics)

Is there any documentation I need to acquire from the seller for the part and file with the FAA? If so, what?

For discussion and my education, let's say that I desired to add a GNS430 and it's accompanying CDI to my panel and found a used one somewhere for the price point I wanted. (but discussion could be expanded to any used item, not just avionics)

Is there any documentation I need to acquire from the seller for the part and file with the FAA? If so, what?

Essentially it needs to pass the ground function tests outline in the install manual and/or STC instructions.

That being said, there are repair stations that will not accept a used part without an 8130-3 signed by a repair station that is authorized by the FAA to service the part.

For example you take the radio to "Joe's Install Shop" to be installed and Joe's repair station manual won't allow Joe to install it without the 8130-3, so Joe sends it to "Fred's Black Box Shop" which is a repair staion, to be inspected and then releases the part with an 8130-3 that will say "inspected" on it.

If you just has an A&P install the radio, then him/her needs to follow the install instructions and complete the testing outlined in them. They also need to see if any AD's apply to it at this time.

Last edited:
Like Brian said... The short answer is no you don't need anything special.

Airworthiness of any used part is determined by the installer, there are no 8130-3 tags required by any FAA order or regulation.

8130-3 tags are the yellow tags?

Other FAA paperwork could come into play as well. The 430W's are STC'd for most of the GA fleet, and paperwork is simple. The 430's are not, and 337 for field approval would be required.

Airworthiness of any used part is determined by the installer, there are no 8130-3 tags required by any FAA order or regulation.

And you may or may not be qualified to make that determination.

So is there an expiration date for an 8130. I have seen some pretty old 8130's on radios.

So is there an expiration date for an 8130. I have seen some pretty old 8130's on radios.

As soon as the box hit the shipper the 8130 is pretty much meaningless, due to exactly what Tom said above.

Got an 8130-3 for radio XYZ when it was brand new 10 years ago. Is it still valid? Not really. It will just say radio XYZ serial #123 was manufactured and determined airworthy on the date at the bottom, 10 years ago. Read what the forms say and you decide if the 8130-3 is still good.

Last edited:
It would be nice if the mechanic/tech who removed it from the airplane filled out a 8130 saying working as removed. But really should not be that big of deal for reinstallation since whoever puts it in the next airplane has to install it, do paperwork, get a compliance ride if that is the right term for it to be IFR capable anyway. It would be disappointing if it did not work after you paid $1500-3000 to install it. Then what?

Back