Use of "gage" vs "gauge"

I often see “gage” in documentation related to ship construction and maintenance.
If you're talking about the position with respect to another vessel or the wind, that's the more common spelling. If you're talking about the dial with the needle, that's less common.

If you're talking about the position with respect to another vessel or the wind, that's the more common spelling. If you're talking about the dial with the needle, that's less common.
I am talking about dials and the like. From what I’ve seen gage is common for naval applications, but I prefer gauge.

I have always seen gage in army manuals. Literally told one day gauge is incorrect, you must put gage because that is what the Army uses. I told them the Navy was smarter and we shouldn't just blindly follow the Army. The only time I would use gage in anything I wrote would be when talking about the act of using a gauge.

I'll have to take your word for it with regards to Russian, that Cyrillic alphabet thing is incomprehensible for me
Cyrillics and Greek letters aren't that hard

I don't know the language all that well, but I've taken lessons and have some family / friends / etc who know Russian.. the alphabet confuses me when the letters that look the same sound different, but otherwise once you learn the alphabet it's very easy to sound words out

The plural of something is usually expressed by adding an s. "The storm wrecked many airplanes on the ramp" is what we'd write, not "the storm wrecked many airplane's."

The use of "aircrafts" as plural continues to bug me. :mad: Aircraft works fine for both singular and plural.

The use of "aircrafts" as plural continues to bug me. :mad: Aircraft works fine for both singular and plural.

Yup. Like "deer" or "moose" or "fish." More confusion for the immigrant. Plural of mouse is mice, but plural of house is houses, not hice.

Apostrophe abuse is common. It drives me nuts, I guess I'm a grammar freak. The incorrect usage of it in dates, as in 70's and 80's, is almost universal, but it's universally wrong.

Plural and possessive rules aren't difficult to learn.

I've noticed that when someone's incorrect grammar or spelling on an internet forum is pointed out, even in the most helpful language, the offender usually replies with some version of "So what, it doesn't matter".

I can't understand that thought process. Consider the same person then making the same error in a company wide email. The sender apparently wouldn't care if his supervisor and coworkers discover he hasn't mastered concepts taught in lower school classes.

The nautical term "weather gage" is one that has become extinct:

The weather gage is the advantageous position of a fighting sailing vessel relative to another. It is also known as "nautical gauge" as it is related to the sea shore. The concept is from the Age of Sail and is now antique.

Last edited:
The sender apparently wouldn't care if his supervisor and coworkers discover he hasn't mastered concepts taught in lower school classes.

Are they still teaching it in school? It wouldn't appear so, or maybe there's no grade penalty for spelling and punctuating everything your own way.

Ha. Another one. Your and you're. Often confused. There and their and they're.

Perhaps aircrafts refers to multiple different types, whereas aircraft is the plural if they are all of the same type?

Back