Use it or loose it

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Just how many years can you mark something Inop and not fix it or remove it from the aircraft. I have seen autopilots marked Inop for years and not fixed or removed or even thought of fixing them. Their are some basic flight items that you can not mark as inop and go flying or at least common sence would I hope restrain you from flying with them inop. Some STC have Continuing airworthiness instructions that have no instructions for what to do if it does not work only the operation of the item and as so might not be able to just mark it as inop and go fly. Just something to think of if it doesent work and you have no plan on fixing it remove it you dont need the extra weight anyways. Also note if it was installed with a 337 you need a 337 to remove it.

Is this a paper for school?

Just kidding of course, but I agree with you. I've seen things marked inop in rentals that were probably there since the 70s.

I don't think the FAA has set any limit, but if there is one, I'll bet Stache knows it.

The IA can at annual time refuse to sign off the aircraft if he feels it is not being maintained.

His continued signing off on annuals for owners that will not maintain their aircraft will soon bite him.

Make them fix the aircraft or call it UNAIRWORTHY. your ticket, your choice.

I don't think the FAA has set any limit, but if there is one, I'll bet Stache knows it.

try

91.405 Maintenance required.
Each owner or operator of an aircraft—

(a) Shall have that aircraft inspected as prescribed in subpart E of this part and shall between required inspections, except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, have discrepancies repaired as prescribed in part 43 of this chapter;

try

91.405 Maintenance required.
Each owner or operator of an aircraft—

(a) Shall have that aircraft inspected as prescribed in subpart E of this part and shall between required inspections, except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, have discrepancies repaired as prescribed in part 43 of this chapter;
Right reg, wrong paragraph.
91.405(c) said:
(c) Shall have any inoperative instrument or item of equipment, permitted to be inoperative by §91.213(d)(2) of this part, repaired, replaced, removed, or inspected at the next required inspection
...but thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Put 'em all together, and if you comply with 91.213(d) for an inoperative item, you need not deal further with that discrepancy until the next required 100-hour or annual, at which time it must be "repaired, replaced, removed, or inspected." Keep your eye on that last one -- "inspected." Now go to 91.213(d)(4):
An aircraft with inoperative instruments or equipment as provided in paragraph (d) of this section is considered to be in a properly altered condition acceptable to the Administrator.
and 91.405(d):
(d) When listed discrepancies include inoperative instruments or equipment, shall ensure that a placard has been installed as required by §43.11 of this chapter.
Unless I'm missing something, if you have an inoperative item properly dealt with according to 91.213(d), the aircraft is "in a properly altered condition acceptable to the Administrator" and all the IA has to do is inspect it to see that it is properly dealt with according to 91.213(d), and if so, can sign off the annual without the item being repaired, replaced, or removed.

Last edited:
Back