USB power strip

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I need something like this at home.

https://www.amazon.com/4-Outlet-Pro...d=1498338895&sr=1-10&keywords=usb+power+strip

I have a corner of a desk where I charge two Ipads, two Iphones, Stratus 2, ICOM handheld navcom, Windows Laptop, Tango wireless headset, & accompanying panel adapter and a few other gadgets. I don't usually plug them all in at the same time.

Do those of you that know about these things think I would overload this?

Also, do you know if I can plug the stratus USB cable into this or does it need it's own special charging brick? Same for the Tango. I could just call both companies, but I am sure I will get more interesting opinions here.

Those 4 USB ports on that thing are only good for 4amps total. iPads are either 2.1amp or 2.4 amp, iPhones are 1amp, the Stratus is 2amp and I don't know what the Tango takes but let's say for the sake of argument it's 2amps. For your gear, that means you can only use 2 of the USB ports on that thing at a time.

Saw this project in Handyman magazine, and built it this spring.

Base design is a wicker basket, which my wife had found with the airplane artwork. I built a wooden platform that gives two inches of standoff from the bottom, and put a four-port USB hub underneath, with the ends of the cords coming up through the edge. The top of the platform has wood strips separated enough to hold Ipads, phones, Kindles, etc. on their sides.
basket.jpg

Looks better than the usual random pile of electronics.

Ron Wanttaja

I like the engine turning and louvers on the aluminum, Nice Work !

I have a few of the Anker ones and they are great quality and charge fast. I bought the five port models on Amazon.

We have a RavPower iSmart 6 port stashed inside this bamboo thingy. Works great. Added a bunch of little short cables for various devices. iOS, mini-USB...

50e06b50e50ad14361d02ecf85cbeeb3.jpg

Really uncluttered the charging area. One AC cord in, six various little cords out. The top comes off the thing with magnets, so it's easy to get inside and plug something else in, if needed.

Here is a similar one that will handle 12amps total.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerP...98351738&sr=1-5&keywords=usb+charging+station

Bigger devices like iPads and Straus will want 2.4 amp charging ports...smaller devices like iPhones will only need 1.2amps. What you need to read in the fine print is the number of ports at what amperage are on the power strip (many will only have one 2.4 port with the rest being 1.2)...and the total amperage of the charger across all ports.

Back