USAFA Thunderbirds Airshow

I see the Blue Angels every year without fail. However, the last time I saw the Thunderbirds they were flying F-100 Super Sabers!

Frank Browne said:
I see the Blue Angels every year without fail. However, the last time I saw the Thunderbirds they were flying F-100 Super Sabers!

Well, I guess I've seen them a bit more recently. They were flying F-4s.:D

Frank Browne said:

Thunderbirds I have to already be there or I won't bother.

Blue Angels are ok. I'll go somewhere for that. (#5 taught me intimidation one day while standing in front of a hangar on the non public side of the airport at Beeville TX)

I've kind of been bored with both since after the Blue Angels quit flying F4's. F4's were real jets making real jet noises. The 4 plane crossover is BORING when they do it in the next state over in teeny little screeching jets. It's not an airshow until they do it with F4's at show center and #4 comes directly over the crowd at something like 100ish AGL at way too fast. Down right scary...I surrendered right there on the spot.

Would it be un-American if I admitted that one of my favorite teams to go watch is the Canadian Snowbirds?? :D

I enjoy all of them, but the last two times I've seen the Snowbirds, I was very impressed. Maybe it's because with 9 aircraft, there are more of them to watch. They have a different style than the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds. I don't turn down opportunities to see any of them though.

ausrere said:
Would it be un-American if I admitted that one of my favorite teams to go watch is the Canadian Snowbirds?? :D

I enjoy all of them, but the last two times I've seen the Snowbirds, I was very impressed. Maybe it's because with 9 aircraft, there are more of them to watch. They have a different style than the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds. I don't turn down opportunities to see any of them though.
Not at all "un american"
I saw the Canadians in the UK some years ago and they were very impressive.
I personally think the US has a long way to go with their military airshow teams. The Italians, the French (oops may god strike me dead) and of course the British Red Arrows are IMHO far superior.
The Americans concentrate on true combat scenarios at which they are excellent but for sheer beauty of display there are several that are better.
Stephen.

Back