USAA Signature Visa Extended Warranty Experience

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Captain's thread about his refrigerator adventure inspired me to mention my recent experience with the extended warranty provided with my USAA Signature Visa card.

Basically, the dryer was overheating. GE had sent a company out several times during the original warranty period, but they always showed up unprepared and never actually fixed the problem. They were very nice guys, but I wasn't looking for a new BFF. I wanted the dryer fixed.

I had a hunch the problem was one of the thermostats. The phone rep at GE concurred. So I bought one. It was very, very hard to find. A lot of them had been failing and almost everyone (including GE) was out of stock. But I finally found one.

I literally had tools in hand and was about to install it myself when I remembered that the USAA Visa included an extended warranty. Dryers are not difficult to work on if you know where all the hidden screws are, but I didn't. Once I remembered that I had the warranty, I figured it was better to call someone who actually knew what he was doing. So I went to Visa's site and tried to open a claim. It wouldn't accept it because it said there were no benefits associated with the card.

I contacted USAA on their message board, and they gave me a number to call which apparently is either a special department at Visa that only handles USAA cardholders' claims, or a special department at USAA that only handles Visa claims. Whatever the case, I called and explained the situation. They quickly verified that the dryer was in fact under warranty, and told me to contact the GE-Approved vendor serving my area and get an estimate.

At that point I told them that I didn't want to use that company because they'd already proven themselves to be incompetents. Amicable ones, mind you, but still incompetents. So USAA (or Visa) gave me permission to use whomever I wanted, but preferably someone who was GE-Authorized. They also said that I could either submit a written estimate in advance and they would pay the company directly, or I could pay the company myself and get reimbursed.

So on August 20, I loaded the dryer onto my trailer and schlepped it to a guy named Bruce about an hour away. Bruce really takes appliances seriously. He's the third generation to own his family's appliance business, he's been working on appliances since he was a child, and he knows pretty much everything there is to know about them. He's also GE-Authorized, but his franchise doesn't extend to where I live (which is why I had to schlep the dryer to him).

Bruce isolated and fixed the problem in about 45 minutes, replacing both the thermostat for which I'd brought the replacement and another one deeper in the machine. Apparently a batch of the thermostats had come through bad and a lot of them were failing. He put the machine back together, tested it with various meters and special thermometers, and it worked perfectly for the first time in its life.

That evening or the next day I submitted the paperwork to get reimbursed online, so it was either the 20th or the 21st. On the 24th I checked the status online and found that it had already been approved for payment. I got the check a few days later for both Bruce's bill and for the part that I'd bought.

Nice. Very quickly handled, and with no drama.

They didn't reimburse for the travel because that was my choice. I could have used the "local" company and had them come to me, but I chose not to. I'm okay with that. I'd rather have the freedom to choose than to have had to endure the same bunch of amicable incompetents again.

USAA continues to be one of the few companies that has never disappointed me. In my experience, everything that they do, they do well.

Rich

That's great to hear, Rich.

My only experience with them was calling about a $29.95 charge I didn't recognjze and the vendor wouldn't explain. Called on a Thursday evening after I got home and opened the mail. The Rep did some checking, voided out the charge, found another identical one the month before, voided it out, canceled my card and issued a new one.

Problem was, the wife and I were flying out after work on Friday, and I needed the card for food, hotel, rental car and avgas to get home. So they sent it overnight and I had it before heading out Friday evening. Great service!

USAA is fantastic. I just had an auto claim (someone merged into me) I spent 5 minutes on the app sending info. Got email saying they'd call me, who my rep was her extension and a detailed list of what happens next. They called me an hour later got my side of the story said they'd handle everything and asked if I needed a rental car and if I wanted to use their adjuster or get my own estimate. Met with the adjuster 2 days later at a time i picked, and 12 hrs after that the money was in my account. I spent maybe 15 minutes between the app, the call, and the adjuster.
Even their online banking is great. I needed some document that wasn't available from my dashboard (for a mortgage) I did their online chat someone answered immediately sent the document said "a lot of times they will also need xyz docs" and went ahead and sent those as well.

Nothing but good experiences so far with them.

My only issue with USAA is that they won’t issue new homeowners policies in Florida. Used to have them for homeowners insurance in Florida, but sold the house. Later naught another house in Florida, and they won’t write a new policy for it.

Have them for auto insurance and they have been great.

I just closed my USAA Signature Visa account I held since 1992. I’ve been a member since 1984. USAA isn’t nearly the company it once was. I’ve dropped them for everything but insurance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. I am nearing the 50 year mark as a member. I had hardly ever filed a claim with them until this past winter when we had the biggest (till then) wildfire
in CA history, followed by a mudslide about a month later. My house was in the midst of it. Fortunately, it was undamaged - but I did endure five evacuations -
most of which was spent in hotel rooms. They pretty much paid all my expenses (including meals) during that time - and gave me no grief in doing so. So yes,
they are number one in my book.

I do remember when, if you had two vehicles insured with USAA, any additional were covered at no extra cost. Those days are long gone.

Dave

I just closed my USAA Signature Visa account I held since 1992. I’ve been a member since 1984. USAA isn’t nearly the company it once was. I’ve dropped them for everything but insurance.

I am nearing the 40 year mark, and sadly, I am learning this as well. House insurance isn't what it used to be, car insurance is going up but the investment part is doing very good.

A few times in the past I have received a call from USAA credit card about some unusual activity on my card. As soon as they learned I did not make the charges they cancelled my account, opened a new one and I had my new cards the next day. Lately I found a couple charges that were not mine, so I disputed the charges. It took a few phone calls to USAA, initiated by me, and I was told at first that unless I could prove otherwise I would be responsible for the charges. I finally said close the account. At that point I was transferred to another person who finally took the charges off.

I do remember when, if you had two vehicles insured with USAA, any additional were covered at no extra cost. Those days are long gone.

I remember that well. In the last 2 years my car insurance has more than doubled. I almost believe they farm out insurances now to different companies.

As I said above, in the last 3 years my investments with USAA are doing very well. I wonder what major change happened that may be responsible for this.??

I dropped USAA when they sent one of their “investigators” to accuse me of insurance fraud. Someone had run into me and admitted fault. The investigator said the body shop manager and estimator told him all the damage was old. When I got them all on the phone together, he back pedaled and admitted he was lying. No apology from USAA. Just higher insurance rates on home and auto.

They also reported to an insurance claim database that another not-at-fault accident was actually my fault. Didn’t find out about that until I started getting new quotes. USAA changed that as soon as I called them out.

Their fraud department also turns off my card every time I try to buy 100LL at my local airport. Told me the only way to fix it is to put a “travel notice” or something on the card. But then they said that I will no longer have any fraud protection on any cards.

USAA is not the company it once was. I was ok with paying slightly more for much better service. I’m not ok with substantially more for worse service.

As I said above, in the last 3 years my investments with USAA are doing very well. I wonder what major change happened that may be responsible for this.??

In 2009 the stock market crashed, recovered and since then was on fire. And then in 2017 corporate tax cuts poured gasoline on that fire.

I’ve had USAA insurance since 1977. Happened to be hit by a drunk drive illegal with no insurance a few years back. No hassle or problems, but that has been my only claim to date, knock on wood.

I’ve been with USAA since the mid 80s. The only complaint I’ve had is they totaled my daughters car when it was borderline. No chance to discuss. And told her she could just keep the money if it was drivable. Which is not the case in FL. She wound up out a little money and with a salvage title.

Other than that, they’ve been great and taken care of issues.

I think USAA may be experiencing growing pains in general, but so far I've never had a problem. They even called me after one of the hurricanes and texted me after another to make sure I hadn't suffered any losses. The first time they had me walk around the property looking for damage to make sure I hadn't missed any. So I'm happy with them so far.

I haven't had any auto claims with them so I can't speak on that. All the local body shops still like them, though, and they're my go-to sources for that sort of information. I figure they'd know better than anyone.

One thing I've been told by several body shops is that the individual adjusters assigned to a particular area make a big difference. The one serving Sparrow Fart apparently is pretty good.

Rich

Bet no one knows the origin of USAA and who they originally would cover.

That's a big change and likely source of the recent growing pains: opening membership to current and former enlisted servicemen.

More specific than just military officers? My dad reminds me all the time it was downhill as soon as they started letting in enlisted guys.

I imagine prices used to be so much better than ever other insurer because a risk pool of military officers was much better than mixing in the unwashed masses.

I’ve had USAA since 1977 and all of my children likewise have USAA. My children in particular have seen a substantial decline in the quality of service from them to the point where several have simply quit using them as the “go to” company for insurance and financial needs. I moved all my investments from USAA to Vanguard 10 years ago because of substandard performance. Their insurance products are premium priced and that used to be acceptable because of the quality of service. When they were smaller, there was a pretty good bond between USAA and it’s members becuause unlike many other companies, they were a mutual assurance company (which is why you get an annual dividend that is non-taxable) and there was a level of trust that simply no longer exists. For whatever reason, USAA has decided to get big and that has changed the character and culture of the company.

Car insurance premiums are hard to understand.

Every six months at renewal time, like clockwork, the same dozen or so insurance companies solicit my business. Most of them have affiliations with some organization to which I belong, and the rest are companies I've either had before or sought quotes from at some point. AAA also sends me an invitation for their insurance agency to run some quotes for me.

I always tell them all to go ahead and send me quotes. I like USAA, but I'm not married to them. Not once have any of them ever even come close to matching what I pay USAA for equivalent coverage. Usually they weigh in at about double what I'm paying.

Other people I know, however, have had the exact opposite experience. It's hard to understand why. I guess I match whatever profile USAA's actuaries have decided makes me low-risk. But I'd think a middle-aged man with a clean driving record, no young drivers on the policy, good credit, and living in the boonies would match any company's actuarial definition of low-risk.

There are only a handful of companies I'd use, anyway. I give a lot of weight to recommendations from collision shops. If anyone knows about a company's claim handling, they do. And as I mentioned earlier, that's also very regionally variable and is largely based on the caliber of the adjusters who happen to serve the area. The adjuster can make a huge difference in how a claim is handled.

Rich

I too have never found another company that could come close to their prices on insurance

I used to like going to Rv shows, and pass the insurance booths.

''I bet we can save you money on your insurance...''

''I bet you can't...''

"Who do you have insurance with.??"

''USAA.."

"No, we can't...''

"What do I win.??"

USAA was founded in 1922, when Major William Henry Garrison called together 24 of his fellow army officers at the Gunter Hotel in San Antonio, Texas. The purpose of the meeting was to discuss solutions to the problem of automobile insurance for army officers.

Until the latter half of 80s or possibly early 90s, it was only US military officers, past or present. It was a great company and excellent insurance.

More specific than just military officers? My dad reminds me all the time it was downhill as soon as they started letting in enlisted guys.

I imagine prices used to be so much better than ever other insurer because a risk pool of military officers was much better than mixing in the unwashed masses.

Exactly. I was still on active duty and one of my military vehicles had an accident with a POV driven by a young private. He produced a USAA insurance card for the MPs, but actually had no insurance because he had never paid a penny towards the coverage and USAA had dropped him. My 5T truck had pretty much destroyed his Camaro when he pulled out in front of it.

Prior to that, the annual Subscriber's Saving Account refund was typically much greater because payouts were much lower.

They have cast too wide a net. I frequently say, "If you ever seen anyone in uniform, you are now eligible for USAA."

I used to like going to Rv shows, and pass the insurance booths.

''I bet we can save you money on your insurance...''

''I bet you can't...''

"Who do you have insurance with.??"

''USAA.."

"No, we can't...''

"What do I win.??"

Yep. Used to get calls all the time. When mentioning USAA, they would admit defeat. Don't get the calls anymore, but I don't think USAA could beat them anymore either.

Used to get calls all the time. When mentioning USAA, they would admit defeat. Don't get the calls anymore, but I don't think USAA could beat them anymore either.

Several factors impact premiums. First and foremost, USAA is a private association and cannot sell stock to raise money to meet insurance minimum financial reserves. Publicly traded insurance companies can.

Additionally, there are requirements that determine the eligibility for which USAA company can insure a member.

There are multiple P&C companies that operate under the USAA brand. These are USAA, USAA GIC, USAA CIC, and USAA Garrison P&C, among others.

Some members may be eligible for USAA insurance but due to their risk profile will only be offered auto insurance from Garrison P&C. As their risk profile decreases over time, eligibility may open for other USAA companies with lower premiums, but still adjusted for risk.

Too much risk can permanently jeopardize eligibility.

example: Military officer eligible for USAA P&C gets a DUI. If they want to remain with USAA as an auto insurer, they may be offered a policy from CIC or a USAA agency partner. This premium will most likely not be the cheapest on the street.

That's it exactly. USAA accepted too much risk. Of course, they've also sacrificed customer service which we supported through higher prices. Unfortunately today, there is equal or better coverage available for less money with equally poor customer service.

Bottomline, the purpose and intent behind the founders and followed for first sixty plus years is no longer what drives USAA. It isn't about mutual insurance within a small group. It is about getting as many folks and as much money as they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Additionally, there are requirements that determine the eligibility for which USAA company can insure a member.

USAA eligibility standards are pretty damned low these days. As I said earlier, if you've ever seen anyone in uniform you are likely eligible for USAA coverage. My sister and brother are eligible because my dad, a 2nd Lieutenant in WWII, was an officer. That came along several years after I was already a member. I was a member before my dad was eligible. Then it became all ranks...still likely a safer bet than most. However, anyone who has ever served AND their spawn are eligible. It is hardly better (or worse) than insurance available to anyone else.

USAA has continue to lower the standards...to the point, they aren't much different anymore. They make their money from volume, not quality.

Here are highlights of how the membership requirements have changed since then:
  • In 1923, Navy and Marine Corps officers became eligible.
  • In 1935, USAA added widows and widowers of members who have not remarried.
  • In 1948, USAA welcomed Air Force officers.
  • In 1997, noncommissioned officers became eligible for membership. This was a big first step in opening up membership to all those who serve and have served the United States in uniform.
  • In 2009 anyone who served honorably became eligible for USAA membership.

USAA eligibility standards are pretty damned low these days. As I said earlier, if you've ever seen anyone in uniform you are likely eligible for USAA coverage. My sister and brother are eligible because my dad, a 2nd Lieutenant in WWII, was an officer. That came along several years after I was already a member. I was a member before my dad was eligible. Then it became all ranks...still likely a safer bet than most. However, anyone who has ever served AND their spawn are eligible. It is hardly better (or worse) than insurance available to anyone else.

USAA has continue to lower the standards...to the point, they aren't much different anymore. They make their money from volume, not quality.

All I really know for sure, having never had a claim (other than the warranty claim on the dryer, which wasn't really an insurance claim), is that:

1. No one has been able to beat their premiums for any of the various insurance policies I have with them.
2. Whenever I've called them about anything, I quickly got connected to an actual American who was able to answer my question, solve my problem, or do whatever else I needed done.
3. The investment products I have with USAA have done very well.
4. The interest rates on their credit products are competitive.
5. The dryer claim was handled swiftly and efficiently.
6. Regarding their checking account, they make direct deposits and EFTs available as soon as they know they're coming, which typically is a day or two before the transactions are actually dated. I've never experienced this from any other bank, nor even any credit union.
7. When disasters have affected my region, they were proactive in reaching out to me to find out if I'd suffered any losses.
8. The local collision shop guys love them.

The only situation I've noticed in which USAA is not as competitive as other companies I've used over the years is when multiple vehicles are owned by the same person, with no additional drivers on the policy. Some other companies charge a lot less (practically nothing in some cases) for the additional vehicles, I suppose figuring that the insured can only drive one of them at a time. But USAA still beats the other companies in the total cost of the policy for all vehicles.

One of my brothers used to be in the insurance business, and he told me that unmarried drivers (or married drivers with spouses who do not drive) with multiple cars (not combinations such as a car and a motorcycle) are viewed with suspicion by some companies. They figure that the insured may be covering the additional cars on behalf of someone with a crappy driving record. Possibly USAA, with its somewhat-restricted membership model and a pool that's getting much younger as more young veterans fresh out of the service join, has run into this more than other companies that take all comers. A young veteran with a girlfriend or boyfriend who's paying two or three times what they are may be tempted to register and insure their significant other's car in their name.

That's just speculation, of course. I have no idea what their experience with additional vehicles owned by the same driver has been. But I do know that I've paid as little as $25.00 / six months to insure additional cars with some other companies. With USAA, there's much less difference in the base liability part of the bill for the additional cars. But the total policy cost will still come in lower than anyone else who's quoted me.

Rich

My only issue with USAA is that they won’t issue new homeowners policies in Florida. Used to have them for homeowners insurance in Florida, but sold the house. Later naught another house in Florida, and they won’t write a new policy for it.

Have them for auto insurance and they have been great.
Hmm. I got a new homeowners policy in Florida last year. The only issue I've had with them is that 10 years ago they would no longer cover both my Florida house and my Florida condo. I had to choose one. But when I moved in early 2017 they gave me a new policy on the new house and kept the old policy on the old house until it sold.

Yep. Used to get calls all the time. When mentioning USAA, they would admit defeat. Don't get the calls anymore, but I don't think USAA could beat them anymore either.
I have three kids, now 24, 22, and 20. When they were teenagers, the "kids car", a 2009 Rogue, got crashed a half dozen times. The post-accident service was impeccable and any rate increases were marginal. The oldest one then bought a new Civic Si coupe. The youngest bought a year old Mustang. Needless to say, the rates went up due to young men in hot cars, so I did some shopping. No other company could touch USAA's premiums. When the two oldest moved out on their own, they rolled into their own USAA policies.

i pretty much "lucked in" to USAA. My ex was a member because her father served back in the day.

When the wife left me USAA was my consolation prize, of sorts.

I do 100% of my personal banking, insurance, and investing with them and have never had a complaint. And I've had some "stuff" that a lessor company would have left me out in the cold for.

Hmm. I got a new homeowners policy in Florida last year. The only issue I've had with them is that 10 years ago they would no longer cover both my Florida house and my Florida condo. I had to choose one. But when I moved in early 2017 they gave me a new policy on the new house and kept the old policy on the old house until it sold.

Right, they issued the policy for the new house because they were already insuring the previous one. Been there and done that with them as well. But if for some reason you sell the house now, and don’t buy another, such as rent for a bit, good luck getting them to issue a new policy.

Again, not bashing USAA I wish I could get the house insured through them. Might have to try again since it’s been a couple years since I last tried.

I used to buy into the USAA is always the cheapest line, but even the agents I talk to say that is no longer the case. When insuring a home and car, obviously you have to consider the total price. Some companies were extremely high on one but competitive on the other. I found USAA to be lower than a lot of the old names, but higher than what an independent agent was able to get me through another insurer. The homeowners policy was obscene with USAA, though.

I told USAA when I dealt with their s - I no longer give them the benefit of the doubt. All insurance companies know how to give me acceptable service. I shop on price now.

I’m glad they did a great job getting you Visa warranty coverage, but as you said, that’s not really USAA’s insurance business.

Back