USAA Insurance -- Opinions? (N/A)

I just buy cars that cost around $1000, can't even imagine covering the hul on that...:rofl:

You're even cheaper than my first CFI. He'd buy the best car he could find for $2000. Figured if it lasted more than a year he was money ahead. Had his MBA and I couldn't argue with his logic. I figured my Jeep would have to last more than 10 years to get that part of the cost of ownership down to his. It's 13 years old now, so I guess I did ok. :D

BTW, he typically drove Cadillacs.

USAA is great insurance. My dad was a military officer and has been covered by them forever. I have had USAA insurance since the 1970s and never had a problem.

USAA is really good about that stuff. They accepted "I don't have a physical address, I live on a boat in Indonesia" without a problem. When I got my first pilot's license I was living on a boat at anchor, the FAA had me draw a map of the anchorage and where my boat was.:lol: WTF, don't they realize that I can pick up anchor in 3 minutes and move my home?:dunno:

When I lived on St. Croix, I lived on a boat, too. They were cool with that, and since I was on a dock, renter's covered anything stolen off the boat, while still covering the stuff I had in storagae in Oregon. They were really cheap for car insurance, too; the only large insurance company that let you have a policy down there at the time.

You're even cheaper than my first CFI. He'd buy the best car he could find for $2000. Figured if it lasted more than a year he was money ahead. Had his MBA and I couldn't argue with his logic. I figured my Jeep would have to last more than 10 years to get that part of the cost of ownership down to his. It's 13 years old now, so I guess I did ok. :D

I like the way he thinks.

I've also done the Jeep thing the same way you did it.

It's all about cash flow...

I've been with USAA since 1967. Everything is insured with them. 3 houses 4 cars. My claims have far exceeded my premiums. (house fire and bad auto accident)

Love em

Their website has lots of little places where they say vague things about eligibility for "some" products for normally non-eligible folks. They need to put a chart up there.

Almost everything other than AUTO insurance is available to "ineligible" people I believe.

I don't typically drive Cadillacs, but I agree with that line of thinking. A car is a car. If it reliably gets me where I want to go, then it's as good as any other. If it does so inexpensively, then it's better than most.

-Rich

I've been with USAA all my life, inherited from my father, who was an Air Force officer. Never any problems. In December 2004, lightening struck my house and set it on fire. It burned down the master bathroom and part of the garage. Within hours of calling USAA, the insurance adjuster came to oversee the mess, arrange for cleaners, found a contractor, and found a nice hotel for us to stay in with our two large dogs while our house was being cleaned for two weeks. They were great. A few months ago, USAA called me about suspected fraudulent activity on my credit card; they cancelled and replaced my credit card immediately.

They are the best. Often when someone says they got a better quote, it is not for the same coverge limits. The proof of the pudding is when you get a telephone solicitation, when you say USAA, they generally so well, ok then. Goodbye.

The most economic part of a cars life span it the trip to the junkyard and the least economic is the drive off the new car lot. In between is a crapshoot. Best value for the average person who doesn't want to drive junk is to buy a 3 year old car and trading it in at 5-7 years of driving with the speedometer disconnected except for long trips where you want cruise control to work. Just use a GPS for critical speed.

I've had Auto coverage with USAA since 1963 and homeowner's since 1976. They have always been prompt, fair, and helpful when we had claims for either.

My dad had coverage with them for many years before I did. My daughter has coverage with them too.

I wouldn't even consider any other company.

Thanks again.

My brother's actually jealous of the rate I'm getting and asked how to sign up, but he's not eligible. Apparently eligibility for family members moves only down, not laterally; and my old man (who also served) has had the same auto and homeowner's policies [with some obscure company whose name escapes me, but that indeed gives him a good deal] for something like 30 years.

In fact, he recently told me that the company he has doesn't even write one or the other policies in NY any more, and that he's somehow grandfathered in. How true that is... who knows.

-Rich

The most economic part of a cars life span it the trip to the junkyard and the least economic is the drive off the new car lot. In between is a crapshoot. Best value for the average person who doesn't want to drive junk is to buy a 3 year old car and trading it in at 5-7 years of driving with the speedometer disconnected except for long trips where you want cruise control to work. Just use a GPS for critical speed.
How does cheating a future buyer of your vehicle fit in with your belief of Karma?

How does cheating a future buyer of your vehicle fit in with your belief of Karma?

Unlike city miles or country miles or track miles, those are Henning miles. The car actually improves in value and performance.

Dude, I've spent an aggregate of 14 years in the car business, I have time coming in hell for that no matter what...:rofl:

Or Carma, as it were...

I drove a Karma Ghia for a while...:rofl: I got an early lesson in lift and aerodynamics in it. You know if you take one down hill and hit about 100 it'll flip over backwards?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've been with USAA 25 years since I was a teen (thanks to Dad being a W-2).... and its the only insurance company I've ever had. I had two claims over that period of time (drowned an engine at 19 and had an at fault accident at age 21) and never had a problem with them. Started and cancelled a claim at age 26 when my house was burgled (and then discovered my property was already recovered before I got home - yay police!). Every one was seamless and smooth.

They've done my home for 15 years. They've done my banking and investing for 10. All my eggs are in that one basket. I can deposit checks up to 10k using a scanner or a cell phone. I have FREE billpay. I get up to $12/month back in ATM fees.

They finance my car and my Harley through the bank.. and I came VERY close to a refi a few months back but opted not to for reasons unrelated to USAA... When I buy a car, I give them the info, sign contracts electronically online, they email me a voucher and I print and sign the voucher over to the seller.. voila. Painless.

If the year is profitable and no major claims, they pay dividends back. When Ike hit the Houston area, THEY called ME to see if I needed to make a claim (I chose not to - fence and porch were my only casualties).

Covered the old family house since 1980.. and when a pipe burst during a freeze two years ago they arranged a salvage company to dry things out, then the contractors replaced drywall and the kitchen.. went great.

I have no complaints about USAA.. and will be a lifelong customer of theirs.

Last edited:
Back