US to Canada - Random COVID testing?

Skepilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Skepilot
Hi all. Planning on flying from US to Canada soon. I know there's currently no pre-entry COVID testing required, but it was just brought to my attention that mandatory random arrival testing at all airports goes back into effect on July 1. Source.

Question, before this was suspended (June 11, 2022), has anyone in a GA airplane been subject to such testing upon arrival to Canada? Or is this pretty much directed at airline passengers? Just wondering the likelihood of folks in a 4-seat single flying into an uncontrolled AOE in Canada getting hit with a random COVID test.

There’s an ArriveCAN app for proof of vax (not testing)

There’s a CBP sticker your plane needs

Don’t forget the USA entry Covid requirements (nothing like needing vaccination records while hundreds of miles from home)

fwiw

There’s an ArriveCAN app for proof of vax (not testing)

There’s a CBP sticker your plane needs

Don’t forget the USA entry Covid requirements (nothing like needing vaccination records while hundreds of miles from home)

Aware of all that, but thanks.

Full disclosure: I haven’t flown into Canada since the pandemic. That said, my experience is that it’s very rare that a Canadian Customs officer even shows up for your entry into Canada. The only time I’ve been met by an officer was landing at Halifax International, which has customs onsite. I’m actually surprised that I’ve landed there probably 6 or 7 times and not been met planeside.Accordingly, I’d expect random Covid testing to be even less likely.

It’ll be better than this (100% sure of that): https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56245404

As for your source, that’s what we have been doing for all COVID related stuff: keep calling things temp and just extending the date.

I am pretty sure that the condition will be extended unless there’s a major out break somewhere of a new variant that appears to be dangerous. So unless that happens you shouldn’t have any random testing required of you.

Last time I flew into Canada, customs showed up at the plane, checked paperwork, scanned ArriveCan QR code and sent us on our way. No random entry test. I'm just one person so your sample size isn't all that great yet.

Last time I flew into Canada, customs showed up at the plane, checked paperwork, scanned ArriveCan QR code and sent us on our way. No random entry test. I'm just one person so your sample size isn't all that great yet.

You’re one of the first pilots I’ve heard from who actually had a customs agent meet them in person. What airport was this?

I’ve been handed a random Covid test while crossing the land border. I just threw it in the garbage. They don’t track it.

Back