US student pilot logging time in Canada?

Matt

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
A quick google search and search of the forms didn't yield an answer, so hopefully I am not missing something that's been covered here before.

I am a checkride ready student pilot who has been unable to schedule my checkride lately due to being out of the country for work a lot recently. Hoping to get scheduled for mid November. I'll be in Canada (again) in a week and a half and will be staying over a weekend (again...). In looking for things to do in the area while I am here, I came across a flight school the has floatplane training. While I am not actively looking for ASES, I think it would be fun and worthwhile. So... two questions really:

1) Can I log training from a Canadian CFI (or whatever they are called here) toward ASES certificate, just in case I decide to pursue that later?
Also having difficulty deciphering if there are any required additional training in addition to ASEL requirements or if if is just however much training is required to convince a CFI to sign off for the ASES check-ride once I already hold ASEL. Been looking at 61.109, so if that is the wrong place to look, guidance is appreciated.
2) Are floatplanes generally okay to operate as long as the water is not frozen over? Or is there a point where they shutdown prior to the water freezing?

Thanks for the help.

I can tell you that you dont want the spray from the lake to freeze onto the floats, so if the air is below freezing, its a no go. That can happen and the lake not be frozen yet.

Bummer... I guess I'll stay in the hotel all weekend...

Still interested in the logging questio though, as it seems I'll be coming here periodically for a while.

Thanks!

I can't answer all your questions, but I do know that in north and northwest Alaska the planes on floats are out of the water before the water temperature hits 32 degrees, even though the air temp might be lower. Usually the float operaters are seasonal and are gone before anything freezes.

And that is quite a commute between Spring, Tx and Canada. :yesnod:

I agree it's quite a commute, especially when corporate travel routes you from Fort McMurray to Toronto (where I just landed) to Houston! I guess it is cheaper to zig zag south!

61.109(a) states that instruction must be recieved from an "authorized instructor".
61.1 defines authorized instructor as an instructor certified under this part.

That means certified under 14CFR Part 61, which your Canadian instructor would not have, unless he also is certified in the US under US rules.

So no, I would not expect your training received in Canada to count towards a US certificate.

How many WW1 & 2 pilots trained in Canada then transferred to the army air Corp when we entered the war.!? There is an agreement between the two country's that makes this possible. Easy to look up.

Last edited:
How many WW1 & 2 pilots trained in Canada then transferred to the army air Corp when we entered the war.!? There is an agreement between the two country's that makes this possible. Easy to look up.
Military pilots don't have to hold an FAA certificate. Their training requirements are not governed by the faa

I can tell you that you dont want the spray from the lake to freeze onto the floats, so if the air is below freezing, its a no go. That can happen and the lake not be frozen yet.

More over, spraying the tail and having it freeze.

When the ground OAT is freezing I usually don't fly for that reason, also you got to think about what would happen if chit hit the fan and you end up in the drink.

I would think that you could log it and enjoy the experience but you just can't count it towards a US certificate.

From the looks of it, BillTIZ evidently only subscribes to portions of Part 61:

"§61.41 Flight training received from flight instructors not certificated by the FAA.
(a) A person may credit flight training toward the requirements of a pilot certificate or rating issued under this part, if that person received the training from:

(1) A flight instructor of an Armed Force in a program for training military pilots of either—

(i) The United States; or

(ii) A foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.

(2) A flight instructor who is authorized to give such training by the licensing authority of a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, and the flight training is given outside the United States.

(b) A flight instructor described in paragraph (a) of this section is only authorized to give endorsements to show training given."

Given that Canada is a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation (ICAO), flight training received from a Canadian instructor may be credited towards the requirements of a US pilot certificate or rating.

Word of caution. In Canada, most seaplane ratings are given to pilots who already hold a Private, Commercial or Airline Transport Pilot license and the person providing the flight training and recommendation for the rating does NOT need to hold a Canadian instructor rating. This differs from the US approach to pilot trainer qualifications. If you plan to fly in Canada and receive instruction in a seaplane (without completing the rating there) you should verify that the instructor holds a valid Transport Canada Class 4 or higher (3,2, or 1) Aeroplane Flight Instructor rating to avoid controversy with the FAA after you return, especially because you do not already hold a US Private Pilot certificate or higher.

Alternatively, if you were to complete the training in Canada and put your seaplane rating onto a Canadian pilot license, you can add this onto your FAA certificate by visiting a FSDO- it is a simple administrative procedure. I know you aren't asking about this but I just thought I'd mention it.

From the looks of it, BillTIZ evidently only subscribes to portions of Part 61:

"§61.41 Flight training received from flight instructors not certificated by the FAA.
(a) A person may credit flight training toward the requirements of a pilot certificate or rating issued under this part, if that person received the training from:

(1) A flight instructor of an Armed Force in a program for training military pilots of either—

(i) The United States; or

(ii) A foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation.

(2) A flight instructor who is authorized to give such training by the licensing authority of a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, and the flight training is given outside the United States.

(b) A flight instructor described in paragraph (a) of this section is only authorized to give endorsements to show training given."

Given that Canada is a foreign contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation (ICAO), flight training received from a Canadian instructor may be credited towards the requirements of a US pilot certificate or rating.

Word of caution. In Canada, most seaplane ratings are given to pilots who already hold a Private, Commercial or Airline Transport Pilot license and the person providing the flight training and recommendation for the rating does NOT need to hold a Canadian instructor rating. This differs from the US approach to pilot trainer qualifications. If you plan to fly in Canada and receive instruction in a seaplane (without completing the rating there) you should verify that the instructor holds a valid Transport Canada Class 4 or higher (3,2, or 1) Aeroplane Flight Instructor rating to avoid controversy with the FAA after you return, especially because you do not already hold a US Private Pilot certificate or higher.

Alternatively, if you were to complete the training in Canada and put your seaplane rating onto a Canadian pilot license, you can add this onto your FAA certificate by visiting a FSDO- it is a simple administrative procedure. I know you aren't asking about this but I just thought I'd mention it.
Thanks for the reference! Maybe I'll log some time if I'm back in the Spring or summer once it's back above freezing.

More over, spraying the tail and having it freeze.

When the ground OAT is freezing I usually don't fly for that reason, also you got to think about what would happen if chit hit the fan and you end up in the drink.
Makes sense. I guess I'll have to wait until Spring or summer if I am back up there (which seems likely since I keep getting sent to Canada for projects...)

Matt,

If you want to take that further and get your Canadian pilot license, after getting your US pilot certificate, these are the advisory circulars (published by the FAA and Transport Canada respectively):

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...fm/go/document.information/documentID/1027574

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/general-personnel-usconversion-1806.htm

These are agreements set up between Canada and the United States that allow a simplified administrative process for your qualifications to be recognized and be placed on the other pilot qualification without the usual need for knowledge or practical exams. In your case, you may want to apply for your Canadian license, then put a seaplane rating onto your Canadian license, and when you return to the US the FAA can put the seaplane rating onto your FAA Certificate.

Essentially you would need to get a Canadian pilot medical certificate and write an air law exam, covering the regulatory differences between the US and Canada. Like US Pilot Certificates, Canadian licenses are valid for life although Transport Canada does charge application fees and license validation fees whenever you have renewed your medical.

Speaking of which Matt, it unclear of where you are going in Canada (it is a big country) but in the Vancouver or Vancouver Island area seaplane flying is a year-round activity (climate is similar to Seattle).

Another idea, if you are going in the cold season (still to early) is to go skiplane flying. Texans can't brag much about that! :)

Speaking of which Matt, it unclear of where you are going in Canada (it is a big country) but in the Vancouver or Vancouver Island area seaplane flying is a year-round activity (climate is similar to Seattle).

Another idea, if you are going in the cold season (still to early) is to go skiplane flying. Texans can't brag much about that! :)
Good point. Fort McMurray. Currently too cold for seaplane but not enough snow for Ski Plane. Sounds like a weekend in the hotel for me, at least on this trip.

One follow up to you last post though... What is the benefit to holding both a US and a Canadian PPL? You can fly a US registered plane into Canada as a Private Pilot, right? Would the Canadian certificate be required for a Canadian registered plane, such as if I wanted to rent locally without a CFI? Or am I missing something?

Makes sense. I guess I'll have to wait until Spring or summer if I am back up there (which seems likely since I keep getting sent to Canada for projects...)

Not sure where you are in Canada, but I'm rather northern myself and here is still some float session left

Good point. Fort McMurray. Currently too cold for seaplane but not enough snow for Ski Plane. Sounds like a weekend in the hotel for me, at least on this trip.

One follow up to you last post though... What is the benefit to holding both a US and a Canadian PPL? You can fly a US registered plane into Canada as a Private Pilot, right? Would the Canadian certificate be required for a Canadian registered plane, such as if I wanted to rent locally without a CFI? Or am I missing something?

Correct! A US Certificate entitles you to fly a US-registered (N-numbered) aircraft anywhere in the World. However, to fly a Canadian-registered aircraft solo or as pilot-in-command, you require to have either a Canadian pilot licence or a validation of your foreign (in this case US) pilot credentials.

Back