US Pilot Renting Aircraft in Canada?

hish747

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hish747
Do any of our Canadian (or other) members know the requirements for a US Certificated pilot to rent an aircraft in Canada? Just an aircraft checkout or is there more to it?

Visiting London, Ontario for a couple of weeks and would enjoy taking some in-laws up there...and no not just to throw them overboard either!
Thanks,
Hish

The rules seem to work exactly the same both ways. A Canadian pilot licence holder cannot fly a US registered aircraft in US airspace, and a US licence holder cannot fly a Canadian registered aircraft in Canadian airspace (but each can fly a plane registered in their home country in the other's airspace).

However, the US and Canada have a reciprocal system of Foreign Based Licence Validation. This means the holder of a licence in one country can apply to have their licence validated in the other to allow them to exercise the same (non-commercial, non-paying) flight privileges - eg. Private, multi, seaplane, whatever. It means one does not need to write any exams or take another medical, as long as your home country licence, medical, etc. stays current, with the FBLV you are good to go to fly planes registered in the other country in their airspace.

Both countries have the same bureaucratic fill out the forms thing to get the FBLV though. Your best bet is to call Transport Canada's Civil Aviation Communications Centre at 1-800-305-2059. Give yourself a reasonable amount of time to get this done. Remember when they get an application for an FBLV the FAA checks with Transport Canada, and Transport Canada checks with the FAA for verification of home country licence status - so no matter which way you are going here you are dealing with TWO bureaucracies. :eek:

The Canadian regulations that cover this are in 401.7 of the CARs:

Validation of Foreign Licences
  • 401.07 (1) Subject to section 6.71 of the Act, if the holder of a foreign flight crew licence issued by a contracting state other than Canada meets the applicable requirements set out in the personnel licensing standards and does not reside in Canada, the Minister shall, on receipt of an application submitted in the form and manner set out in those standards, issue a foreign licence validation certificate to the holder of the licence.

• (2) The Minister shall, in accordance with the personnel licensing standards, specify in a foreign licence validation certificate the privileges that may be exercised by the holder of the certificate.

Last edited:
Need to convert to a Canadian license and get a Canadian medical as I recall.

Not necessary if it is for non-commercial, non-hiring purposes. See Post #2.
Both countries have reciprocal procedures to get around that. Takes some paperwork and time though. And in the case of a Canadian applying to the FAA for validation they have to make an appointment to see someone at an FSDO AFTER Oklahoma City is finished with processing all their stuff.

You can validate your US license and use a US medical.

When I validated mine it was a royal pain. I got the run around from transport Canada for 6+ months and in the meantime the weather went south for the winter. I never did use the Canadian license, we ended up just paying a Canadian pilot to ferry the airplane to us.

And in the case of a Canadian applying to the FAA for validation they have to make an appointment to see someone at an FDSO AFTER Oklahoma City is finished with processing all their stuff.

You essentially have to do the same thing in Canada.

You essentially have to do the same thing in Canada.

Oh joy! :D
They probably feel compelled to see you so they can put that gold star on your report card in person or something...:rolleyes:

I was in Nova Scotia and wanted to rent. It was easier to go up with one of their trainers in the right seat and I flew my friends around for an hour of sight seeing.

I was in Nova Scotia and wanted to rent. It was easier to go up with one of their trainers in the right seat and I flew my friends around for an hour of sight seeing.

That is by far the easiest way to do it.

The rules seem to work exactly the same both ways. A Canadian pilot licence holder cannot fly a US registered aircraft in US airspace, and a US licence holder cannot fly a Canadian registered aircraft in Canadian airspace (but each can fly a plane registered in their home country in the other's airspace).
Serious question.

How does it work if our route of flight takes us over Canadian Airspace? Say we’re flying from Buffalo to Detroit for example. Would you be okay since you’re not landing in Canada?

Serious question.

How does it work if our route of flight takes us over Canadian Airspace? Say we’re flying from Buffalo to Detroit for example. Would you be okay since you’re not landing in Canada?

I'd say legally you'd probably need the correct license for what you propose (assuming you're asking about a US pilot in a Canadian airplane) but it is unlikely anyone would ever notice unless something happens.

One thing that GRG55 neglected to post in the statement you quoted was that a US certified pilot can fly a Canadian registered airplane in the US on their US certificate.

Serious question.

You can fly (and land) a US registered airplane (which is what I assume you are asking about?) in Canada on an FAA pilots licence. Overflying shouldn't be any problem. US ATC may hand you off to NavCanada ATC if you are going to be in Canadian controlled airspace.

I know on the west coast if you are flying point-to-point in one country and not landing ATC can route you over airspace across the border. It's happened to me a few times.

I'd say legally you'd probably need the correct license for what you propose (assuming you're asking about a US pilot in a Canadian airplane) but it is unlikely anyone would ever notice unless something happens.

You can fly (and land) a US registered airplane (which is what I assume you are asking about?)
Yes, flying a US registered aircraft straight line from BUF to DTW with an FAA certificate only.

I thought my original question was pretty clear.

Yes, flying a US registered aircraft straight line from BUF to DTW with an FAA certificate only.

I thought my original question was pretty clear.

Well if you look at post #11 you'll see at least two of us were uncertain about that. ;)

I am in Vancouver BC... Fly over USA airspace all the time in a C registered airplane. Have to be on a flight plan, and in contact with ATC. Agreed with the pain of trying to do a validation. Expect 6 months. Silly really.

Back