US Airways Blows Tire On Take Off

I thought it was a Cub that didn't file a flight plan and then ran out of oxygen and airplane gas??

Can you stay on the centerline with a blown nose wheel tire on the Airbus?

Does that size bird have sensors to alert the pilot when a tire is blown?

Can you stay on the centerline with a blown nose wheel tire on the Airbus?

Absolutely no problem. Even with a blown main, well even two blown mains on the same side it is possible at the higher speeds.

Keep in mind, these are tandem wheels. If one blows the other one takes the load. Of course it is possible that whatever caused one to blow would cause the other to blow.

Does that size bird have sensors to alert the pilot when a tire is blown?

Well, the bigger ones do. Not sure if the Airbus does. But unless they are looking at it, they wouldn't know. It is several layers deep in the displays and there is no aural warning to it.

But reality is, if a tire blows, it is pretty obvious.

That was what I was going to ask.

One of my US Air pilot friends has in his garden the wheel he flatspotted on the plane he was flying (mind you not the tire, the wheel).

That was what I was going to ask.

One of my US Air pilot friends has in his garden the wheel he flatspotted on the plane he was flying (mind you not the tire, the wheel).
That's quite the conversation piece I am sure!

Have not heard that one before. :lol: :no:

The actual expression is "like a dog... peach pit." Persimmon seeds are fairly small. But still, it was a good use of the term, we all knew just what he meant!

The actual expression is "like a dog... peach pit." Persimmon seeds are fairly small. But still, it was a good use of the term, we all knew just what he meant!

Peach pit I get, a persimmon seed is what I didn't get, because they are so small. :lol:

He was on a roll. :rofl:

I prefer the Trib's coverage of the events. Tire below, nose collapsed, then pilot ejected to abort the takeoff once the nose bounced off the runway once.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-plane-philadelphia-20140313,0,2873307.story

With a choice back-handed compliment from the airline. The pilot appears to have done a good job handling the situation, Joe Taney, vice president of operations for American/U.S. Airways, told reporters.

"We assume he did, based on the fact that everyone is safe and everyone got down safe and evacuated safely and everyone was well taken care of, so I assume our captain did a great job on the aircraft and he should be commended."

But thank goodness they filed a flight plan. Who knows what would have happened without that.

Peach pit I get, a persimmon seed is what I didn't get, because they are so small. :lol:

He was on a roll. :rofl:
Mine was always a razor blade. But then, that's quite dated since it comes from the days of double edged razors blades. That, of course, is my view but not what I use today.
What I heard about the plane was it had hit Vr but had some kind of problem and the nose slammed to the ground.

Tire below, nose collapsed, then pilot ejected to abort the takeoff once the nose bounced off the runway once.

The pilot ejected?! Some people just can't handle pressure, I guess. Did he have ADHD? :rofl:

I wonder if the tire blew before, or after V1.
NY Time says they got airborne and then the pilot put it back on the ground, suggesting the abort came well after V1. That's usually not a good idea, but with a catastrophic failure, it may be a better choice to roll off the end than to try to fly it and then crash. An example of that is the DC-10 many years ago at LAX where the center engine came apart and they aborted after V1. They went off the end, the plane burned, and two people who didn't follow the crew's egress instructions were killed, but had they got airborne, it might have been a prequel to the UA232 DC-10 at Sioux City. Blown tires usually aren't catastrophic, and there was that Learjet a couple of years ago which tried an abort past V1 with a blown tire that ended badly, but you don't know what the crew thought happened.

Last edited:
What is with all the people and their carry on luggage! They out to be fined or at least publicly spanked, what if the plane caught fire and people were seriously injured because Ms. Dipweed just had to retrieve her freeking purse from the overhead bin.

I am thinking a sweet gum tree ball would be worse, but then that would hurt in both directions.

I gotta go......

NY Time says they got airborne and then the pilot put it back on the ground, suggesting the abort came well after V1. That's usually not a good idea, but with a catastrophic failure, it may be a better choice to roll off the end than to try to fly it and then crash.

True, but a blown tire is not in that category.

An example of that is the DC-10 many years ago at LAX where the center engine came apart and they aborted after V1.

I wasn't there so I can't say, but generally speaking, even in that case, it is better to take it into the air and sort it out. A LOT less chance of something bad happening.

They went off the end, the plane burned, and two people who didn't follow the crew's egress instructions were killed, but had they got airborne, it might have been a prequel to the UA232 DC-10 at Sioux City.

While that is certainly possible, it isn't probable. And two people died, possibly unnecessarily.

"When the plane was moving faster than 92 mph, an audio alert in the cockpit announced “retard” repeatedly, as if directing pilots to slow down the plane. The plane reached 188 mph and it briefly bounced 15 feet in the air, investigators said. "

Sounds like the plane wasn't the one retarded. Jes sayin..... Sounds like a training issue to me. Wonder if they are still employed.

I read the article, I have even less faith in the overly complex flight control systems on an airbus than I did before.

I'm certainly no expert, but something is wrong when incorrect information causes the computers to revert to landing mode while on the takeoff roll.

Ouch... that one reads bad. Do the Airbii not indicate that v-speeds are inop, and would they not be required to initiate a departure?

Ouch... that one reads bad. Do the Airbii not indicate that v-speeds are inop, and would they not be required to initiate a departure?

Wow, that is eye opening, I hope most aircrews aren't that careless about procedures.

that's what they get for flying a plane with a keyboard instead of a yoke....:D

OT. where can I get a .wav of an airbus going 'retard retard retard'? I could use that on my phone for sooooo many things.

Back