US Airways and America West to merge

Funny, I thought the new name would be "America Worstways". (Sorry, I've had nothing but bad experiences with America West.)

Anyone know if Boeing owns a significant share of any airlines? I know way-back-in-the-olden-days they did, but anymore? Wonder if the FTC will have issues with Airbus having a significant financial stake.

Jeff

Useless Worstways? What a pair to join up.

Actually, I haven't flown US Air too much, but I have flown America Worst too many times. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

Jeff Oslick said:
....Anyone know if Boeing owns a significant share of any airlines? I know way-back-in-the-olden-days they did, but anymore? Wonder if the FTC will have issues with Airbus having a significant financial stake.

Jeff

Not anymore. Boeing used to own part of United, but the feds broke it up.

I don't think the FTC can say much since Airbus loaning the money.

Steve,

Thanks for digging up the reference law. I recalled something like that being in play. Wonder how well it would hold up today? (maybe we'll find out now)

Jeff

And that was the birth of United Airlines. United resulted from the restructuring of Boeing Air Transport (BAT) in 1934. Boeing realized it was more profitable to fly pax instead of mail so he was building a sizable business when 1934 rolled around. He was savvy but that he gave his airline first dibs on any new aircraft or ungrade, much to the consternation of his competitors, he was most likely instrumental in having to divest himself of the airline.

Incidently, United's first aircraft was a Boeing 80A, a trimotor with a triple tail and the first aircraft ever with wheel brakes. After a couple years barnstorming based out of Monterey, CA it was again sold to haul freight in AK for Bob Reeves. Reeves hauled it into the Anchorage city dump in '63 where it sat for many years until spotted by a UAL pilot. It's now in the Museum of Flight at Seattle's Boeing Field.

Last edited:
Back