US airport tag

It was late, around 6:30. I barely beat the fog that was rolling in quick when I got home. If I was 5-10 minutes later, the airport would've been fogged in.
We missed each other by about 40 minutes then. By 6:30 I was fueling up about 25 miles north. No fog there even with the lake close by, but it was quite hazy flying west over the mountains, and I even lucked into a couple of minutes of IMC.

I'm very tempted to fly back into the area today for some instrument practice, but it looks like some of the rain coming in off the coast is a little heavy. Think I'm going to do some hiking first. If I do make it over there I may stop on the way and move the tag.
BTW, Bethel ME is a great little airport. Nice runway, nice little FBO, and very cheap 100LL. Good restaurants right in town, less than a mile a way.
Thanks for the tip about the restaurants. I'll have to pack my bike next time I'm over there.

BTW, did you get fuel there? Is the fuel gauge back in calibration yet?

Yes on the fuel. Got 10 gallons, that that's what I was charged for.

Its foggy and raining on the seacoast now.

Won't be today for me. After the hike I checked again and there was still lots of nice IFR weather on the coast - PSM is even LIFR - but to get to it I'd have to fly through rain with embedded storms. I'm not going to make a special trip just to move the tag, and it's not low enough at the site for a loggable approach.

Maybe later in the week, once I get my IFR certs done... what I'd like to do is bring the tag either further south or further west. This site is still pretty far east, if we want to get the tag moving cross country.

I picked up the old tag last Monday on my instrument practice flight that ended up at KCON (the tag site) and KDAW. Almost forgot to snap the picture, so did a 180 on the taxiway and took it from the cockpit. You may have to zoom in to read the National Guard lettering:

IMG_1136.jpg

The new tag is the first grass strip for this game, and also the furthest west the tag has been so far. The rich come here to play, and there's a nice restaurant on field. A golf course too, and LOTS of water nearby! Here's the tag:

IMG_1301.jpg

and some more pictures:

IMG_1302.jpg
IMG_1298.jpg

The new tag site is about as far west as you can get in New England. I hope someone from another state picks it up and takes it somewhere far away!

Last edited:
Back