US airport tag

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
Let's see if this gets y'all out flying more.... :D

This works well on motorcycle forums, the goal being to getting people out riding to places they've never been to before. Should work well with planes.

Airport tag for the northeast, however you want to define it.

Screw it, lets open this to the whole US of A.
The whole idea is to get people out and flying to places they haven't been before. Please try to not leave the tag at dead ends or difficult to get to places. Would be cool to see the tag move across the country!

Rules of the game.

1) Find the tag and reproduce the photo (as best as possible). Take the tag to a new location, get the photo and post it here. Give a few hints so the next person can figure out where the tag is located. Make the clues clear and easiiy understood. Try to place the tags in interesting locations, maybe a bit of history or a good restaurant.

2) If tag doesn't get taken in a week of decent weather, supply more hints. Or move the tag yourself.

3) No private strips (unless its yours and you want to let us land there) or 500' riverbanks. Grass strips ok (and preferred! :lol:)

4) The first person to post a found tag gets to place the next tag. If you get a tag, but somebody else posts their picture first, you lose.

5) One tag at a time. Old photos are NOT permitted. You gotta fly to play this game.

6) Your plane has to be in the TAG picture in as close to the same spot as you can. You picture has to be of your plane on the ground. No fly over and claiming...

7) if you claim a tag, you have a 2 days to place the new tag. If you don't, the tag is open to someone else to claim and move.

8) Please try keep it to airports with no landing fees. This is supposed to be fun.

9) if you don't like the rules, blow me. :yesnod:

Here's the starting tag:
i-XzVfqKK-XL.jpg

i-FB8B3Nt-XL.jpg

Hint 1: That's salt water.
Hint 2: Its close to my home base.
Hint 3: There's a pretty good Mexican food truck there on weekends.

Go!

Last edited:
Re: North East airport tag

Assuming the field in the aerial photo is the one you're tagging, I was actually in the area today and would have been tempted to hop on over. I was under half tanks too, and the wind would have been right down the runway, which is the only way I'd land on a 2100 ft runway. This sounds like fun, but if it takes off I hope some people tag fields that are friendlier to planes that need longer takeoff rolls.

And what exactly is the "tag"? I don't see any object in the picture that could be a "tag". I thought you just meant that the airport was "tagged" and you "move" it by posting a picture of your plane there, and then at a different field. But the way your rules are written, it sounds more like there's some object that has to be physically moved.

Nope. Just a picture of the plane at the spot.

Take a picture of your plane in the same spot. Move your plane to another airport and take a picture that someone else can replicate with their plane. And on.. And on.. And...

Yes, that's the way I read it the first time. Too bad this wasn't posted yesterday afternoon, I'd have claimed the tag. And I know EXACTLY where I'd have moved it to... ;)

If someone doesn't take it this weekend, I'll move it to KPSM. I think that should be long enough... :lol:

I'll be there thursday to claim and move the flag unless somebody beats me to it!

Sweet. Let's get this game rolling!

The lighting wasn't good for an exact pic but i think I got the flag....
2b2 image 1.jpg

2b2 image 2.jpg

Couple notes about 2b2

First time I landed here even though it is very close to my home base (KBVY) because the company I used to rent from wouldn't allow their aircraft to land there. But now since I am an owner I figured I would give it a shot. Cool approach and the takeoff is interesting (especially when taking of RWY 28). Very friendly people at the FBO interested in attracting new pilots to the area. I will definitely be back for one of their pot luck dinners that they have once a month!

and I moved the flag here....
sfm image 1.jpg

sfm image 2.jpg

(My plane can't be seen in that pic because the large jet was blocking any decent pic)

Anyways a few hints for the new spot

1. Careful, SATAN is close by
2. This is a very popular spot for breakfast, especially on the weekend
3. Careful when flying to the coast from here (only a few miles) as there is a prohibited area close by

Last edited:

First time I landed here even though it is very close to my home base (KBVY) because the company I used to rent from wouldn't allow their aircraft to land there. But now since I am an owner I figured I would give it a shot. Cool approach and the takeoff is interesting (especially when taking of RWY 28). Very friendly people at the FBO interested in attracting new pilots to the area. I will definitely be back for one of their pot luck dinners that they have once a month!
Yeah I was very tempted to try to make a special trip out there because of the description of the beaches and dunes (I miss Lake Michigan!). Your post gives me another reason! For me the problem is the runway isn't quite long enough for me to be able to do it safely unless I'm on the low side on fuel and/or there's a good wind down the runway.

(Yes, I know there is also a grass runway that is slightly longer, but I need a good current pirep on grass before I'll land on it. Tiny RG wheels... I've sunk in on even slightly wet grass where FG planes were happily tied down.)

I might be able to pick up the new tag tomorrow.

The Grass at 2b2 is fine. There is a slight bump I've felt if you land before the paved runway crosses it heading northwest. The grass is in good shape, and I prefer using it.
Don't taxi on the very south end after rain, because it does get soft down there. Not swampy, but softer than the rest of the runway. Definitely don't use the very south end of the grass strip after winter thaw. I'm running stock tires on my 172, and I don't have a problem. Yoke back on landing to keep the weight off the nose! :yes:

Cool the tag has moved. If it doesn't move tomorrow, I'll move it saturday. And move it a good distance north... :lol:

I won a raffle for 10 gallons avgas there over the winter, still haven't collected.

Oh, and the new tag spot? Make sure to announce where you are in the pattern at all turns. The locals do non-standard stuff in the pattern (right bases, straight ins, etc...)

Oh, and the new tag spot? Make sure to announce where you are in the pattern at all turns. The locals do non-standard stuff in the pattern (right bases, straight ins, etc...)

Very true, and on the weekends don't be surprised if you are #5 in the pattern. Its gets pretty busy there for an uncontrolled field.

I'm not in the area but I really like this idea. I'll have to start one of these groups for my area next time I go flying!

I couldn't get a picture with my plane from the exact same vantage point as in neilw2's picture because of the cones, but I believe this is the tag. The field is SFM, Sanford Seacoast Regional.
IMG_0788.jpg
The Cockpit Cafe windowfront should be visible in that photo, though I don't think the sign is readable from that distance. Unfortunately I got there about 15 minutes after they closed. They're open for breakfast and lunch on weekdays, and only breakfast on weekends. On weekdays they close at 2pm. :( (Probably why there were only 2 planes in the pattern when I landed.)

Here is the new tag:
IMG_0790.jpg
and an aerial view of the field:
IMG_0799.jpg
Some hints:

1. There is a River nearby, but only on Sunday.
2. A few minutes away by air you can get up close and personal with Presidents, without worrying about P areas or TFRs (though getting TOO close would not be good for you or your plane).
3. Fuel is available and the prices are the best in the area. (But beware: my receipt showed I was charged for 10% more fuel than the pump meter indicated.)

Last edited:

I couldn't get a picture with my plane from the exact same vantage point as in neilw2's picture because of the cones, but I believe this is the tag. The field is SFM, Sanford Seacoast Regional.
View attachment 40724
The Cockpit Cafe windowfront should be visible in that photo, though I don't think the sign is readable from that distance. Unfortunately I got there about 15 minutes after they closed. They're open for breakfast and lunch on weekdays, and only breakfast on weekends. On weekdays they close at 2pm. :( (Probably why there were only 2 planes in the pattern when I landed.)

Here is the new tag:
View attachment 40725
and an aerial view of the field:
View attachment 40726
Some hints:

1. There is a River nearby, but only on Sunday.
2. A few minutes away by air you can get up close and personal with Presidents, without worrying about P areas or TFRs (though getting TOO close would not be good for you or your plane).
3. Fuel is available and the prices are the best in the area. (But beware: my receipt showed I was charged for 10% more fuel than the pump meter indicated.)

Beautiful field. By the clues I can guess where it is, but I'm too far away to retrieve. How are the winters up there?

Beautiful field. By the clues I can guess where it is, but I'm too far away to retrieve. How are the winters up there?
I've only been in the area for one winter so far, so WTHDIK? :lol: Actually, last winter was a doozy up here. Coldest and snowiest I've ever seen, and the locals have said the same thing.

Of course, we had it easy compared to Boston...

Back to the game... I'll just say that I had a different field in mind originally, but chose this one in part because the runway was better aligned with the wind today. Also, I'd never been there before. It seems to be one of the prettier fields in New England.

Awesome. I heading north for some camping this weekend. Hopefully someone else will get it before I can figure it out and move it next week. Nice spot.

Edit: wow, that is cheap. :lol:

Last edited:

Edit: wow, that is cheap. :lol:
Yeah, but like my hint 3 says, it's not as cheap as advertised. I tried to call the manager about it but he wasn't available. I'll try again tomorrow.

Was tempted to get it Monday as I was heading home from northern Maine, but with the winds picking up I just wanted to get on the ground.

Was tempted to get it Monday as I was heading home from northern Maine, but with the winds picking up I just wanted to get on the ground.
Probably a wise decision. The winds weren't very strong on Friday, 10 kts or so, but I couldn't maintain a constant airspeed on final due to the shiftiness. The mountains being so close do funny things, that's for sure.

The town manager said someone is going to call me back about the fuel discrepancy. I suspect the price is going to "go up" after this, and it might even really go up.

I've only been in the area for one winter so far, so WTHDIK? :lol: Actually, last winter was a doozy up here. Coldest and snowiest I've ever seen, and the locals have said the same thing.

Of course, we had it easy compared to Boston...

Back to the game... I'll just say that I had a different field in mind originally, but chose this one in part because the runway was better aligned with the wind today. Also, I'd never been there before. It seems to be one of the prettier fields in New England.

I grew up in Maine, college in NH. So I understand winter. Was in Quincy last Feb when we got snowed in an extra day before we could fly to warmer temps. After 8 years in N and S Dakota, we've been in sunny Las Vegas for 20 yrs now. Not sure I want to spend a whole winter in New England.

This sounds like a great game and once the weather cools down some (we're in 100's, not pleasant to fly at all), I am really tempted to start a TX airport tag.

Thanks for the great idea and y'all have fun!!

I grew up in Maine, college in NH. So I understand winter. Was in Quincy last Feb when we got snowed in an extra day before we could fly to warmer temps. After 8 years in N and S Dakota, we've been in sunny Las Vegas for 20 yrs now. Not sure I want to spend a whole winter in New England.
That's okay, I'm not sure I'd want to spend a whole summer in the southwest! :D

This sounds like a great game and once the weather cools down some (we're in 100's, not pleasant to fly at all), I am really tempted to start a TX airport tag.

Thanks for the great idea and y'all have fun!!

The trick is getting more that 3 people to play... :lol:

There don't seem to be a lot of us up in northern New England, that's for sure. I can only think of two others that I know of on this board.

BTW, the town manager's office called me back this morning about the fuel discrepancy. They will be mailing me a check. They didn't say anything about fixing the calibration problem, so if you get fuel there, I'd make sure the readings agree.

That's okay, I'm not sure I'd want to spend a whole summer in the southwest! :D

It's a dry heat. But monsoon (flash flood) season is here, humidity is up to about 20%

I know where it is, just haven't had time to go get it...

Might change this up to a nationwide tag. Thoughts?

If there's only one tag I don't see how it's going to help. Someone has to come get it. And if they do, the tag is likely to permanently leave the area. So you get more people playing (maybe) but only get one chance to play, unless you're up for a LONG xc.

But broadening it to include all of New England couldn't hurt. Maybe NY too - quite a few in upstate NY, and it's not too far by air.

I know where it is, just haven't had time to go get it...

Might change this up to a nationwide tag. Thoughts?

We should definately try to open it up a little so it's not just the 3 of us flying around NE moving the flag around

Let's open it up to the whole US. Would be neat to see the tag move across the US. When I get a chance, I'll move the tag from its current location to somewhere... else. :D

Unless someone else wants to move it. By all means do so. Lets see where the tag goes! :yes:

edit: hmmm... I can't edit the thread title. Any mods that can do that for us?

The trick is getting more that 3 people to play... :lol:
Maybe if it wasn't up in the far North, and moving farther north. Perhaps someone could try moving it more toward where people live and fly.

I participate in operation fly,when my plane gets out of the avionics shop,will be happy to participate.

Maybe if it wasn't up in the far North, and moving farther north. Perhaps someone could try moving it more toward where people live and fly.

Plenty of people live and fly in norther NH and Maine. They just aren't on forums...

Tag
i-4vXCRvp-XL.jpg

That's actually not my plane in the picture above. This is what I flew up there:
i-2dvHj9z-XL.jpg

New tag!
Further south for y'all that think they're headed to the northern tundra if they get too close to Canada...
i-NsCd6kH-XL.jpg

That's the NH Air National Guard across the way. Should be enough of a hint. Plenty of pavement to land on there. Can even do it from multiple directions!

That's the NH Air National Guard across the way. Should be enough of a hint. Plenty of pavement to land on there. Can even do it from multiple directions!
Holy crap! I was there today! Did not see (or notice) your plane though. What time were you there?

I landed about 1500 or shortly after, just after a Challenger jet with a tail number ending in 0BA.

I believe that's where my plane is in the avionics shop.

It was late, around 6:30. I barely beat the fog that was rolling in quick when I got home. If I was 5-10 minutes later, the airport would've been fogged in.

BTW, Bethel ME is a great little airport. Nice runway, nice little FBO, and very cheap 100LL. Good restaurants right in town, less than a mile a way.

Back