urine test

Diabetes as Marauder indicated.
Sugar will begin to be excreted in urine at a blood glucose level above 160-180 mg/dl. A negative urine glucose test does not necessarily rule out diabetes as a diabetic may have a negative test if they are not hyperglycemic around the time of the test.

The test is for both urine and albumin (protein) in the urine. That's what's required. Note however, that many docs use the #7 strips that also test for pH, leukocytes, nitrate, ketones and blood rather than having just glucose and protein strips. This I learned the hard way.

Doc: There's something wrong here with your tests.
Me: Yes, I'm spilling ketones, I'm sure.
Doc: Why is that.
Me: Atikins Diet.

I went out and ate a bagel tested myself with my own strips and then submitted to a full blown UA. Of course, this was only the tip of the iceburg with this idiot AME. I ended up being deferred for 12 weeks for a condition I did not have. I also subsequently found out from talking to Doc Bruce that a number of irregularities in his examination should likely get his designation removed if the FAA were to know.

The test is for both urine and albumin (protein) in the urine. That's what's required. Note however, that many docs use the #7 strips that also test for pH, leukocytes, nitrate, ketones and blood rather than having just glucose and protein strips. This I learned the hard way.

I went out and ate a bagel tested myself with my own strips and then submitted to a full blown UA. Of course, this was only the tip of the iceburg with this idiot AME. I ended up being deferred for 12 weeks for a condition I did not have. I also subsequently found out from talking to Doc Bruce that a number of irregularities in his examination should likely get his designation removed if the FAA were to know.

Yikes

I did not know they could go testing for whatever they wanted like that, good thing you knew a few things about the procedure.

Is there anyway to get the FAA to take him out of the system before he causes more damage to other aviators?

First time I got a medical I thought it was a drug test.

I guess the silly question, why screen for diabetes? The one guy I know with poorly managed diabetes (often 200+ readings) took years to develop severe complications.

I guess the silly question, why screen for diabetes? The one guy I know with poorly managed diabetes (often 200+ readings) took years to develop severe complications.
The stuff I've read, and had docs tell me, is that by the time you're triggering a diabetes result on a urine test the damage has already begun. Might not see the complications right away, but the body has already started breaking down. So, yeah, the test won't tell you early enough.

Yes, you have to be way out of control to spill sugar into the urine. It's a screen that takes less than a dollar to do that can find a pretty serious problem. I won't say the damage is irreparable at that point but as Doc Bruce says, the longer your A1c is up the more systemic damage is being caused. The FAA is concerned both on the long term (retinopathy, neropathy, etc...) and the short term hypoglycemic episodes.

I lost 100 pounds on Atkins. You WANT ketones. I got a bottle of ketostix to make sure.

That AME sounds like a loser.

Ketones in the urine are a sign of many serious kidney problems and metabolic diseases. Ketones are a sign that the sugar metabolism is out of whack and can be the first indicator of diabetis in many patients. Yes, Atkins diet does cause ketones to spill in the sugar as a result of forcing the body to use reserves, but you insinuating that is a normal baseline is incorrect.

Long term results can be awful. Also, if left unchecked, he could start experiencing signs of hyper or hypoglycemia during a flight, and that could be catastrophic.

First time I went to an AME, I obviously didn't have any idea what to expect. I ended up getting a little more than the Class III exam minimums. Not a big deal, no extra tests or anything, but I felt like the guy was doing more of a general health physical than an FAA Class III medical. (Not unlike FlyingRon's experience.)

Later, after I discovered Doc Bruce, I asked about an AME going above and beyond. His response (paraphrased), "The AME is only to examine what's required by FAA." I supposed there's always a chance he'll spot something that isn't on the FAA exam and then feel an obligation to tell you about it.

Is there a "home kit" that you can get at the local Walgreens?

Is there a "home kit" that you can get at the local Walgreens?

You can get the Chemstrip #7 at most drug stores, if they don't have it they can easily order it for you (or you can get it on Amazon). It's a bit pricy though, about $38/100 for the real Roche ones, for the off brands, you can get them for half that price.

If you just want the sugar or ketostix, you can get those for sure at the local pharmacy. I have a diabetic son, so we had them kicking around anyhow.

you mean they're not looking for illegal drug metabolites?

I had an AME that routinely looked for all those- had a 12 strip test like I was a pool or something . . .

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back