Upper Midwest - No Excuses.

This is my first post here, but Ed told me to come here a while ago and told me about the fly-in on a different forum. I am just a poor college student so I don't think I could afford to fly up there :(
I plan on going to a bunch of airshows all around wisconsin this summer though and down to florida for the possible shuttle launch. Maybe I will be able to find some way up to the UP for it. I am always up for flying trips :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool ya made it! I know you fly out of MSN, hang around here a bit, and someone will offer a ride. *cough* Kent Shook *cough*

N2212R said:
Cool ya made it! I know you fly out of MSN, hang around here a bit, and someone will offer a ride. *cough* Kent Shook*cough*

LMFAO

if they wont volunteer, bully em into it right? haha. speaking of, since i just dumped all the money im going to make this summer into an airplane w/no engine, its not looking like ill probably make it. sorry. jesse, if you start walking towards the UP when we get back from gastons, you should make it just in time :)

tonycondon said:
if they wont volunteer, bully em into it right? haha. speaking of, since i just dumped all the money im going to make this summer into an airplane w/no engine, its not looking like ill probably make it. sorry. jesse, if you start walking towards the UP when we get back from gastons, you should make it just in time :)

Nah. That's cool. Maybe I'll have the money to fly there. Maybe I won't. Who knows....Gastons shouldn't be an issue though.

jschaef5 said:
This is my first post here, but Ed told me to come here a while ago and told me about the fly-in on a different forum. I am just a poor college student so I don't think I could afford to fly up there :(
I plan on going to a bunch of airshows all around wisconsin this summer though and down to florida for the possible shuttle launch. Maybe I will be able to find some way up to the UP for it. I am always up for flying trips :)

Jake,

I'm planning on going, leaving Madison sometime Friday afternoon/evening. Sunday, I'll head to Cadillac, MI to do my seaplane rating and then back to MSN on Tuesday evening. You're more than welcome to ride along! I'm sure someone can drop you at MSN on Sunday if you don't want to hang at CAD for an extra couple of days.

Send me a private message, I'm always up for some flying.

N2212R said:
Cool ya made it! I know you fly out of MSN, hang around here a bit, and someone will offer a ride. *cough* Kent Shook *cough*

LOL!!! I didn't even see that before I offered a ride. :rofl:

That would be awesome. I would have to be back by Monday though.

flyingcheesehead said:
Jake,

I'm planning on going, leaving Madison sometime Friday afternoon/evening. Sunday, I'll head to Cadillac, MI to do my seaplane rating and then back to MSN on Tuesday evening. You're more than welcome to ride along! I'm sure someone can drop you at MSN on Sunday if you don't want to hang at CAD for an extra couple of days.

Send me a private message, I'm always up for some flying.

Kent who are you going to do your seaplane with? I was planning on going to Quad Cities, have not looked into anyone over in Mich.

Scott

jschaef5 said:
That would be awesome. I would have to be back by Monday though.

Someone else can probably stop by MSN on their way home, I would think... Any takers? :dunno:

smigaldi said:
Kent who are you going to do your seaplane with? I was planning on going to Quad Cities, have not looked into anyone over in Mich.

Northwoods Aviation at KCAD. They have their Super Cubs on skis (see my avatar - tho that's a J-3) in the winter and on floats in the summer. $90/hr for dual on skis/wheels (I forget the solo rate), $110/hr for dual on floats (no solo), or $795 flat fee for the seaplane rating.

I must warn you, however, that one of the guys in my club did his seaplane rating there last summer, and shortly after getting back, he was the proud owner of a Cub on floats! B)

BTW, the other one I know of around here is Wings at KSTP. I think they have a Super Cub and a 185, both amphibious. However, being in a big-city environment, their rates are much higher, IIRC.

Last edited:
flyingcheesehead said:
Northwoods Aviation at KCAD. They have their Super Cubs on skis (see my avatar - tho that's a J-3) in the winter and on floats in the summer. $90/hr for dual on skis/wheels (I forget the solo rate), $110/hr for dual on floats (no solo), or $795 flat fee for the seaplane rating.

I must warn you, however, that one of the guys in my club did his seaplane rating there last summer, and shortly after getting back, he was the proud owner of a Cub on floats! B)

BTW, the other one I know of around here is Wings at KSTP. I think they have a Super Cub and a 185, both amphibious. However, being in a big-city environment, their rates are much higher, IIRC.

I took my ASES training from a DE who teaches in a friend's amphib 172 at KFCM. IIRC the price was around $180/hr dual and since I finished with less than 5 hrs total the total was just under $1000 including the checkride. And I would expect that amphibs would always cost more to rent/train in than straight floats.

flyingcheesehead said:
Someone else can probably stop by MSN on their way home, I would think... Any takers? :dunno:
If I can get the 182 for the trip, like I did for Gaston's, we should be able to bring Jake back to KMSN with no problems.

What are the sleeping arrangements like around 6Y9? I hadn't necessarily planned on making it an overnighter.

OK Ed, my chances of coming have risen from 25% to about 45%. The only deal breaker at this point will be if some monetary issue comes up and I wind up broke. That is right before I go back to school, so we'll see how much books set me back.

As we get closer, I'll offer to pick some people up along the way. And Piper's not coming.

Ed,

I would love to come but with a wife that is expecting in Sept. I am not sure if I can get permission. I will try.

Bob

gprellwitz said:
If I can get the 182 for the trip, like I did for Gaston's, we should be able to bring Jake back to KMSN with no problems.

What are the sleeping arrangements like around 6Y9? I hadn't necessarily planned on making it an overnighter.

Well, it's only about 2 hours up there from Chicago. Overnight camping available on our property for all PoA members. BYOT (Bring your own tent). There is also 2 cabins that sleep like 4 people each adjacent to the field. There's also a cafe in town (100 yards from the parking area) which is good food and cheap.

If anyone wants the numbers for the cabins let me know.

The camping space available at our property would be enough to house everyone who was at Gastons, and the ground is flat and rock free. There's water available, and the plumbing is outdoor in the form of an outhouse. BUT, is it kept super clean and doesn't smell.

For anyone who stays there WILL be a campfire on Saturday night.

N2212R said:
Well, it's only about 2 hours up there from Chicago. Overnight camping available on our property for all PoA members. BYOT (Bring your own tent). There is also 2 cabins that sleep like 4 people each adjacent to the field. There's also a cafe in town (100 yards from the parking area) which is good food and cheap.
If anyone wants the numbers for the cabins let me know.

If we don't overnight, we wouldn't be able to give Jack a ride back on Sunday. (I guess I'm presuming he was planning to leave Sunday. Jack?)

We don't have a tent (or sleeping bags, for that matter), so we're probably interested in the cabins.

OTOH, this might be an excuse to get a tent & bags. Think I'll start another thread asking for recommendations for tents & bags for flying.

N2212R said:
There's water available, and the plumbing is outdoor in the form of an outhouse. BUT, is it kept super clean and doesn't smell.

That surely is not a true statement? Outhouse and smell go together like airplanes and flight. If you have one, you are going to have the other if its in working order! Unless your stuff don't stink up there.:D

Dean said:
That surely is not a true statement? Outhouse and smell go together like airplanes and flight. If you have one, you are going to have the other if its in working order! Unless your stuff don't stink up there.:D

Nope. It doesn't. There's a chemical we dump in it, and there is no odor at all. Honest.

Thats a lie ed. the truth is, we are talking about northern Michigan and the hole is deep enough that all the stuff in the bottom is frozen, hence no smell. For this to work, minimum hole depth has to be what? 4 inches? :)

Pencilled you in - 300+ from PTK, but not too bad if I can wrangle to mooney ;)

Wife emailed me saying there is word of some major layoffs at her office...so if she's in the cull-zone, plans may change.

I'd be up for coming back the same day. It would just be fun to go on a flying trip up there. If Kent is still willing to give me a ride up maybe I could hang out up there for a bit then get a ride back later in the day. Whatever. I just know that I work friday and have to be back for work monday. I am still not 100% sure I can go that weekend yet either though. I am going down to florida for the shuttle launch, then going sky diving sometime later in july then EAA also. Then i leave for work in california sometime late august so things will be getting busy for me around then.

I haven't even flown in a month. I need to get up in the air... I hate the stupid rules about having to be checked out every 90 days in the plane before you can rent. With school everytime I come home they make me get recheck out and it sucks.

Jake,
Hopefully Kent will still be up for it after his accident. Same day actually sounds pretty good.

Ed, what time is this shindig expected to start? Should I pass the invitation along to outside groups?

gprellwitz said:
Jake,
Hopefully Kent will still be up for it after his accident. Same day actually sounds pretty good.

I'm up for it all right. Flew quite a bit today (3.1 I think it was). There aren't too many d@mned idiots up in the sky. :no:

flyingcheesehead said:
I'm up for it all right. Flew quite a bit today (3.1 I think it was). There aren't too many d@mned idiots up in the sky. :no:

Wnna bet. I hear them all the time on the radio. Saying things like "any traffic in the area please advise" on CTAF or on ATC freq not knowing where they are or where they are headed but definetly up in the sky. The difference is that they are very unlikely to run you out of the sky.

flyingcheesehead said:

IME there are enough, but it's easier to avoid swapping paint in the air.

smigaldi said:
Wnna bet. I hear them all the time on the radio.

Yeah, but I don't have to fly close formation with them for 11-14 hours a day. :no:

Besides, as stupid as people sound on the radio sometimes, a lot of them probably aren't plain stupid, they're just poorly trained or have mic fright.

Back