EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I'm giving four months of notice here.
August 5th, 2006.
Grand Reopening of a closed airport.
Here's the preliminary flyer, so don't print it and post it at your FBOs just yet, but mark your calendars!!!!!

For PoA members and any guests you may have, we have overnight camping space, fresh water, and rustic "facilities" to use at our property across the highway.

I'll have made Wings and Gaston's twice, so I don't want no steenking excuses from anyone within oh.....800nm! :rofl:

PS: Ignore all negative comments on Airnav, the turf will be in prime condition. The airport isn't officially open, but it should be in our name by May and at that point it will be official.

Attachments

• 6Y9Flyer.pdf
    42 KB · Views: 91
cool ed. i still plan on making it for now

N2212R said:
I'll have made Wings and Gaston's twice, so I don't want no steenking excuses from anyone within oh.....800nm! :rofl:

Except, our club still doesn't allow landings on grass fields. (dorks)

Considering there is no fuel at 6Y9, and I'm sure some people need fuel to get back to where they came from (I do) we could arrange something. It's 25 minutes to IMT - and they have the cheapest fuel in the area. We can work something out!!

N2212R said:
Considering there is no fuel at 6Y9, and I'm sure some people need fuel to get back to where they came from (I do) we could arrange something. It's 25 minutes to IMT - and they have the cheapest fuel in the area. We can work something out!!

OK, 11hrs roundtrip, at $125/hr, that is $1375...*gulp*. My flying budget is 8hrs/month presently, so this would require grovelling before the minister of finance. ;) And a vacation day...fly up Friday, hang Saturday, fly home Sunday.

Let me investigate.

Hi Ed. My partner Al who you met has the plane booked for that weekend. If he cancels I'll be there!

ill be flying from eastern iowa there and will have an extra seat in the 172 if anyone needs picked up
pm me or email me
tcondon at iastate dot edu

smigaldi said:
I have it penciled in and you can fly with me if I go.

Thanks. I may take you up on it. Let's touch base as the timing gets closer.

Bill Jennings said:
OK, the Skylane is booked, now to work on the hard part...:yes:

Now if you can find a willing pilot/partner to share the flight you could cut your cost in half!

Ed I can't say for sure as I usually have a lot going on that time of year, but I'll come if I can, especially if I can combine it with a trip to Bellaire.

tonycondon said:
ill be flying from eastern iowa there and will have an extra seat in the 172 if anyone needs picked up

I'm in, should have some room in the 182 but I'm probably going to go to KCAD afterwards and get my seaplane rating on Mon-Tues. :yes: If nothing else, I'd be happy to ferry in some of the non-grass-field folks.

Step 1: join flying club
Step 2: schedule plane and get permission for overnight/grass feild.

Ed, would you be able to provide proof on the execellent condition of the runway if I need it to get permission for the club plane?

Missa

I forwarded the flyer to our EAA Chapter newsletter editor with a request to publish it in next month's newsletter. I'll also post a couple around the two airports I frequent.

Bill, don't forget you can stop at JWN and pick me up. Two in the plane will cut costs down. Just a thought.

Bill Jennings said:
OK, 11hrs roundtrip, at $125/hr, that is $1375...*gulp*. My flying budget is 8hrs/month presently, so this would require grovelling before the minister of finance. ;) And a vacation day...fly up Friday, hang Saturday, fly home Sunday.

Let me investigate.

smigaldi said:
I forwarded the flyer to our EAA Chapter newsletter editor with a request to publish it in next month's newsletter. I'll also post a couple around the two airports I frequent.

If you could hold off just a tad on that, the flyer is not yet in full published form. Nevermind, that's as much effort as I'm putting into the flyer at this point. LOL

Missa said:
Step 1: join flying club
Step 2: schedule plane and get permission for overnight/grass feild.

Ed, would you be able to provide proof on the execellent condition of the runway if I need it to get permission for the club plane?

Missa

As soon as the snow melts off it, I'm heading up there. Luckily it is mostly sandy soil so it drains quickly. I will have photos videos, and a most excellent diagram drawn up - to scale. Means I'll have to bust out my AutoCAD v11 disks and get to work! We're going to be rolling it with about a 5,000lb roller, so this should rival any grass strip as far as smoothness goes, and the chainsaws are already being warmed up to get to chopping. Your bigger issue coming in from PA would probably be flying over Canada and the Great Lakes to get there.

N2212R said:

I'll be there. It'll be fun.

jangell said:
I'll be there. It'll be fun.

only cause you're riding w/me! :)

speaking of, my seat that i offered up earlier is now taken.

I dig your directions on the flyer.

How to get there: GPS Direct.

very nice.

SkyHog said:
I dig your directions on the flyer.

How to get there: GPS Direct.

very nice.

Hey, I added VOR radials, and roads too. :)

kevin47881 said:
Bill, don't forget you can stop at JWN and pick me up. Two in the plane will cut costs down. Just a thought.

As long as your crazy enough to drop $700 to visit EdFred, let's do it!

tonycondon said:
only cause you're riding w/me! :)

speaking of, my seat that i offered up earlier is now taken.

Figures. :D

Well. Maybe I'll fly there. We'll see.

jangell said:
Figures. :D

Well. Maybe I'll fly there. We'll see.

Jesse, I think you misunderstood. I thought that Tony meant that his extra seat was taken by you.

lancefisher said:
Jesse, I think you misunderstood. I thought that Tony meant that his extra seat was taken by you.

Good chance. I was slightly thrown off since I just talked to him last night about it. I'm.. uhm....a bit slow sometimes ;x

I figured his girlfriend wanted to bring some friend or something

my current seating arrangement is :
Front Left : Me
Front Right : My Girlfriend
Back: Jesse

saying my extra seat was taken was saying that jesse is riding w/me

I'm hoping to make it up there; we'll see. Need to get special dispensation on taking a club plane into a grass strip. Of course, my trip down to Gaston's is contingent on that same thing. :)

I note that 6Y9 is right in the middle the Big Bear MOA. Any issues there? (Yes, I know that they're supposed to watch out for non-participating aircraft. Doesn't mean they'll actually see you!)

Darn you!!! I'm flying up to OSH but coming home the weekend before this. I would LOVE to come. Well, maybe the weather will be REALLY bad that week and I won't be able to get home.

They don't really use Big Bear much anymore after they shut down KI Sawyer. Maybe some Guard planes out of MN or WI might use it, but they don't use it like they used to. I haven't seen any military aircraft when I've flown up there. I mean, uh, when I was up there. Not that I ever landed there when the field was closed.:no:

Ken Ibold said:
Darn you!!! I'm flying up to OSH but coming home the weekend before this. I would LOVE to come. Well, maybe the weather will be REALLY bad that week and I won't be able to get home.

That's why I posted if I should have it on the 30th a couple months ago. I think more people said I was a heretic or no they wouldn't make it if I had it that weekend.:dunno:

N2212R said:
That's why I posted if I should have it on the 30th a couple months ago. I think more people said I was a heretic or no they wouldn't make it if I had it that weekend.:dunno:
Well, now that I have pretty much decided to make the trip there an adventure with my 12-year-old, maybe I can rationalize further adventure by staying for a week.

CRAP -- reading this it dawns on me that school here starts Aug 7. :(

AUG 7th???????????

Holy cow!!! I never, EVER attended any classes in August.

Alright, $700 a copy does seem somewhat steep. Maybe we can find 2 more with money to burn to cut it to $350 a copy!

Bill Jennings said:
As long as your crazy enough to drop $700 to visit EdFred, let's do it!

jangell said:
Good chance. I was slightly thrown off since I just talked to him last night about it. I'm.. uhm....a bit slow sometimes ;x

I figured his girlfriend wanted to bring some friend or something

Actually, Jesse wants Tony's girlfriend to bring a blind date for *him*; one who does not want a puppy.

SCCutler said:
Actually, Jesse wants Tony's girlfriend to bring a blind date for *him*; one who does not want a puppy.

I almost had a repeat of the puppy incident. It was like deja vu.

I ran.

jesses christmas trip to des moines, bought a puppy for gf, got snowed/ifred in. rode bus to minn. paid for a weeks worth of rental on 172 sitting in ames. was quite a predicament. oh and gf pretty much snubbed him.

Back