Upgrading my '76 Archer Interior

SkyVoyager

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
SkyVoyager
I've decided I want to take on the project of updating the seats in my '76 Archer. The previous owner upgraded the side panels and carpets, but the original seat coverings are still there (and now ripping).

I've never done anything like this before, but I'd like to take on the task (especially with the limited flying I'm doing this winter). Is there any guidance out there (internet and/or other sources) that guide a novice through this process?

Thanks!

I've decided I want to take on the project of updating the seats in my '76 Archer. The previous owner upgraded the side panels and carpets, but the original seat coverings are still there (and now ripping).

I've never done anything like this before, but I'd like to take on the task (especially with the limited flying I'm doing this winter). Is there any guidance out there (internet and/or other sources) that guide a novice through this process?

Thanks!

While you're at it, have the seat frames blasted & recoated, and have the webbing replaced.

Easiest & fastest - order seat upholstery you like from Airtex, take seats & upholstery to a local auto interior shop that understands how to do it. Total time - about a week or two. By the way, you can ship the seats to Airtex for the installation, but a good local shop can do the same and much cheaper. I speak from experience.

Other options
A. Ship seats to Oregon Aero - they'll use their temp-sensitive foam, their upholstery (or send then Airtex) and they do everything. Rather expensive but spiffy.

B. Take the old upholstery off VERY CAREFULLY because you'll need it as the pattern. Find a local shop that will use FAA-approved material that you supply, order the heat-sensitive foam from Jim Fixx, let them build new seats. The shop can be either auto, marine or whatever, as long as you supply FAA materials and impress upon them what adhesives to use, etc.

C. Find a custom aircraft interior shop that will do everything. Very expensive.

D. Take the old upholstery off VERY CAREFULLY because you'll need it as the pattern. Find FAA-approved material that you like, order the heat-sensitive foam from Jim Fixx, learn lots of new obscenities, do your own seats. WARNING: if you're not reasonably competent doing upholstery, don't even try this option.

E. Not Easiest & Not fastest but lower $$ cost but not personal time cost - order seat upholstery you like from Airtex, do the install yourself. Total time - unless you've done this before, who knows?

Last edited:
I will second the motion to have the seats rewebbed. It made an incredible difference when we redid our interior.

Holy cats -- I almost called it our "new interior", but that was 11 years ago already. The pilot's seat could actually stand to be rewebbed again.

D. Take the old upholstery off VERY CAREFULLY because you'll need it as the pattern. Find FAA-approved material that you like, order the heat-sensitive foam from Jim Fixx, learn lots of new obscenities, do your own seats. WARNING: if you're not reasonably competent doing upholstery, don't even try this option.

I always like to learn new words!

:D

Thanks!

Call Shelby at tnwings.com

I haven't been impressed with airtex quality.

If you're going to DIY, I got my material from http://www.marionaircraft.com/home.htm

and the foam from an outfit with a weird name in Indiana, can't recall the name at the moment.

Kydex makes a good light replacement for any sort of cardboard our aluminium type stuff you might encounter. I purchased my kydex from Interstate Plastics, call em, they'll roll up the thin stuff and send it UPS instead of charging you freight

Last edited:
I appreciate all the comments!

I suppose I should ask the question a bit differently. How does one go about removing and adding the new fabric? Is it a matter that requires sewing/stitching? Is it something someone with no experience in this area should tackle?

I suppose I should ask the question a bit differently. How does one go about removing and adding the new fabric? Is it a matter that requires sewing/stitching? Is it something someone with no experience in this area should tackle?

If you use airtex or tnwings.com you should be ok, no stitching required. It is time consuming though. Any local car upholstery shop ought to be able to do all the sewing etc.... If you want to stay local. You just have to guide them to the correct materials and paperwork. Probably a good idea to keep your A&P in the loop also.

I suppose I should ask the question a bit differently. How does one go about removing
veeerrrrryyyy carefully if you're planning on using it as the pattern for the new stuff
and adding the new fabric? Is it a matter that requires sewing/stitching?
oh yeah.
Is it something someone with no experience in this area should tackle?
Depends on your motivation. As for the airtex quality, I got the previous edition of material, what they're now calling "Premium", didn't like the colors/patterns of the new standard stuff.

You can order samples from airtex and other places (oregon aero, etc) and see what you like best.

Last edited:

Thanks!

I would weigh your seats and stuff before and after you do interior work, or have the airplane weighed after. W&B often slips through the cracks

and the most expensive.

Not necessarily. It depends entirely what type of materials the OP wants. I was quoted $8K at a local aviation interior shop. I don't live in the airplane, I don't need the same quality or styling that I chose for the house. For the airplane I want servicable, looks good, wears well, easy to clean. For me, the AirTex was just fine. Bought the AirTex seats, took the seats to the auto shop, and in 3 days they were done. I consider my time to be an expense and I had other things to do, such as ripping out the original plastic crap side panels & insulation (what a laugh!) then replacing the side panels.

When I bought the cherokee many years ago I had the seats redone using Jim Fix's confor-foam and really like them. When I got the AirTex seats, I had the foam removed on one and replaced with Jim's confor-form instead. Lots more comfy, and since I already had the seat foam, the extra expense (labor) was minimal. I'll have the other front seat done this summer. The dog is not going to be happy, because he really likes to curl up on the old seat with the confor-foam...I think I need to buy new foam and not disturb the dog.

Not necessarily. It depends entirely what type of materials the OP wants. I was quoted $8K at a local aviation interior shop. I don't live in the airplane, I don't need the same quality or styling that I chose for the house. For the airplane I want servicable, looks good, wears well, easy to clean. For me, the AirTex was just fine. Bought the AirTex seats, took the seats to the auto shop, and in 3 days they were done. I consider my time to be an expense and I had other things to do, such as ripping out the original plastic crap side panels & insulation (what a laugh!) then replacing the side panels.

When I bought the cherokee many years ago I had the seats redone using Jim Fix's confor-foam and really like them. When I got the AirTex seats, I had the foam removed on one and replaced with Jim's confor-form instead. Lots more comfy, and since I already had the seat foam, the extra expense (labor) was minimal. I'll have the other front seat done this summer. The dog is not going to be happy, because he really likes to curl up on the old seat with the confor-foam...I think I need to buy new foam and not disturb the dog.

8k what aircraft?

We've done an Airtex on our Navion and helped a friend do her 170. It's pretty straightforward. Nice thing about the Navion is you can take the canopy off and flip it over to do the head liner.

We sourced some inexpensive stuff from an auto shop, just had to keep the DOT document saying it was suitable for a vehicle, for the next annual.

My entire interior was done by a company with the unfortunate name of Hartzell's Auto Interior under the supervision of my A&P. They shipped me a ton of fabric and other material samples before they got started. There's a ton of stuff there that's already FAA approved but if you have a CAR3 aircraft like the Navion, all you need to do is install "flame resistant" material, there's no certification or testing required.

Why? Is it under more stress than the co-pilot's seat? :dunno: :lol:

Actually, that's something of a mystery to us, since Mary and I split left seat time 50/50. Further, in any single-doored plane, it's the RIGHT seat that usually goes first, since you invariably end up kneeling on it pretty hard as you make your way to the left seat.

So far, the right seat is A-OK.

My guess is the shop just didn't do as well reupholstering the left seat. It's only getting soft on the inboard side, which means that it wants to slightly tip you inboard. I barely notice it, at 200 pounds, but Mary has been unhappy with it.

Back