Upgrading a NAV/COM instead of an older model GPS

David F

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dfrenchbk
I just purchased a 1963 Cherokee 180 - Two older King radios (KX-170s), one is a 360 channel. I replaced that with a GTR-225, but the second, I was looking to replace the other with a GNC-255 - the radios aren't cheap these days and are so hard to find anything in stock. Any thoughts on this? I already have a GDL-50 and AERA 660 for my GPS and don't plan on much more than light IFR at the very most. I figure two good radios and ILS would be fine for me (I've grown up on that older nav stuff, as I am 61 years old) Eventually will put in a GTN 175 and some G5s as money permits and if I am using/liking the plane for the mission I have.

I was looking to replace the other with a GNC-255 - the radios aren't cheap these days and are so hard to find anything in stock. Any thoughts on this?
The only other pure NAV/COM on the market is the Trig TX56a. Otherwise, you can put in another COM and then add a VAL INS429 for NAV.

One other thing: The GNC255 has 2 connectors, one for COM and one for NAV. The one for COM is the same as the GTR225. This means you can put in a GTR225 now and then re-use that connector later if/when you upgrade it to a GNC255. Upgrading a Trig TY96A to a TX56A and Apollo (Garmin) SL40 to SL30 operates similarly.

Is there anything wrong with the KX-170?

I won’t touch a plane with a KX170 anymore. I’d install a Trig TX56A or a used SL-30.
I presume you've probably installed a few Trig TX56A's already. What are your thoughts on those compared to a GNC255?

Is there anything wrong with the KX-170?
The one is the a '300' channel model - so I was told by the mechanic, its for listening only, if that makes sense

I presume you've probably installed a few Trig TX56A's already. What are your thoughts on those compared to a GNC255?
I have installed one, but I’m sure I will be installing more. It’s about $800 cheaper than the GNC255A there is a software issue that they are working through if using an EFIS as your HSI, but it is a fairly easy work-around while waiting for the new software.

What are the inbuilt intercoms like in the Trig and Garmin Nav/Coms. Do either off them offer auto squelch?

Back