Upgrade my headset to a Bose or buy an Ipad?

Addicted2climbing

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Addicted2climbing
Hello all,

I am a student pilot who is about 75% done with my PPL. I also fly sailplanes and Hangliders...

Anyhow I got my tax return and want to set aside some for eaither a new headset such as a Bose or Lightspeed or an Ipad

Or my other option is an Ipad, Foreflight or winx software and upgrade my ASA headset to noise canceling with a do it yourself kit. (http://www.headsetsinc.com/)

My ASA headset is comfrotable enough, but after 3 hours or so it bothers me where my sunglasses are. The headsetsinc mod requires gell earseals which may help with my only comfort complaint. Also I am at the point where I want to have flight planning information and see the Ipad would be nice to have. Plus I can use it for other things as well. My only concern with the Ipad is I dont want to learn to rely on it. Part of me thinks if during my training I dont have any help it will make me a better pilot. But then again having more information never hurt so long as it is not the distraction equivalent to texting and driving...;)

Unfortunatley I cant afford both the new headset and the ipad, which is why I thought the headsetsinc mod with the ipod was a good alternative...

Curious what others think.

Best regards,

Marc

Ohhhh that's a tough one. I would probably go with a Bose headset. I love my A20's and use it a lot. It's super quiet and has great features.

That said I like my iPad as well, but probably would buy the headset if I was in your shoes.

Protecting your hearing with a good ANR headset has to win this competition. The iPad can wait.

Besides, next year Apple will have something new(er) that will make all the Appleheads drool (more), and then you won't be "stuck" with the "sucky" old model... lol

Protecting your hearing with a good ANR headset has to win this competition. The iPad can wait.

Besides, next year Apple will have something new(er) that will make all the Appleheads drool (more), and then you won't be "stuck" with the "sucky" old model... lol

The Headsets inc is an ANR headset mod. I read a review online where it has better noise canceling then the bose, but the audio quality was not as good. For voice coms it was fine, but for music (which I dont see needing) it lacked bass... The better noise canceling was mainly due to the fact that it is installed in a better insulated passive housing rather then a housing that only relies on the noise canceling.

However while it will save my hearing just fine, an ASA headset with a ANR mod will not have the features and comfort that the fancy Bose or other high end brand will have... But do I need them?

However while it will save my hearing just fine, an ASA headset with a ANR mod will not have the features and comfort that the fancy Bose or other high end brand will have... But do I need them?

I have never warn the ASA/ANR Mod headset but the Bose A20 has the best ANR I have ever tried hands down. I sold my Lightspeed Zulu for the Bose last summer. It's extremely comfortable and the ANR is fantastic.

I'd get a purpose built ANR headset and save your old headset for your future passengers.

Ipad? Eh, probably more useful if you're doing instrument flying or lots of long cross countries.

Bingo! :goofy:

I have a Bose and just got the new iPad. If I had to fly without one, I'd leave the iPad at home.

Get the ipad. Dollar per hour of use those things are a bargain.

Ipad. You will use it more often than headphones

Headset, but get a LS instead of a Bose. You will thank me the first time your A20s run out of batteries.

Headset, but get a LS instead of a Bose. You will thank me the first time your A20s run out of batteries.

Had A20s since the day they came out, Can't remember the last time I changed em.

To OP, buy flight time instead.

Ipad. You will use it more often than headphones
My thoughts too. You will only use the headset during your limited flying time. The iPad can be used not only for your aviation needs but so much more. I fly 2-4 hours a week but will use my iPad almost that much each day. For the price of the Bose headset you could get a comfortable set of Flightcom Denali's and the iPad. To me that would be far more bang for the buck and would cover both bases. Good luck with whatever you decide on. :)

Both. Get a used iPad 1 or 2 with 3G for $400. A used good ANR for another $400. Boom.

Get a Zulu 2 its a better headset than the A20. Or you can get both. Get an iPad, then just do the payment plan for the A20.

I love having updated charts every time I go flying so I really like the iPad. Are you going to be a traveling private pilot or someone that goes up on weekends for a burger or Sunday morning pancakes? Michigan sends us a state sectional once and year and I usually just have that out for local flights - frequencies to unfamiliar airports and such. I check the current sectional for drastic changes every once in awhile but locally, a briefing is all you really need.

Either way, I think a good headset is one of the most important things a pilot can have. We had the cheapest ASA models in the planes where I trained and my ears would get sweaty and uncomfortable after any flight over about 1.5 hours. It sucked.

I got lucky and had a Bose QC2 laying around and found the uFlyMike (uflymike.com) attachment on another forum and I love it. I have three now for my passengers. (I am only a satisfied customer, not a paid representative) - The headset needs a AAA battery but they last quite awhile. However, it doesn't work when the battery dies. Not a big deal to change.

Your hearing is primary. The iPad (and it's successors) will still be around next month.

Both. Get a used iPad 1 or 2 with 3G for $400. A used good ANR for another $400. Boom.

I was thinking about saying that originally. Always a way to have your cake and eat it too if you'll buy used. :)

Hey all

Thanks for the great replies. I think i am going to get the bose on a payment plan they offer and possibly buy a used ipad2. When i get to the point in my lessons where i could use the ipad then i will buy some flying software. Thanks again everyone.

Marc

Look on eBay, lots of used Bose headsets from student pilots giving up

Having a GPS with moving map is a safety item for me. I have an iPad, but use a 496 for navigation.

Look on eBay, lots of used Bose headsets from student pilots giving up

I agree, not just students giving up, folks upgrading to the A20 need to sell their X's, I bought my son a used Bose X for Christmas 2010, paid $500.00 and they looked like new. For $1000.00 you can get a new iPad and a good used Bose X headset!:D

About a year ago I bought QT Halo from Quite Technologies http://www.quiettechnologies.com/
Very comfortable headset. No sweaty ears on the summer. Great sound quality. $360 and 45 days Money back. Give it a try and see if you like it.

Hello all,

I am a student pilot who is about 75% done with my PPL. I also fly sailplanes and Hangliders...

Anyhow I got my tax return and want to set aside some for eaither a new headset such as a Bose or Lightspeed or an Ipad

Or my other option is an Ipad, Foreflight or winx software and upgrade my ASA headset to noise canceling with a do it yourself kit. (http://www.headsetsinc.com/)

My ASA headset is comfrotable enough, but after 3 hours or so it bothers me where my sunglasses are. The headsetsinc mod requires gell earseals which may help with my only comfort complaint. Also I am at the point where I want to have flight planning information and see the Ipad would be nice to have. Plus I can use it for other things as well. My only concern with the Ipad is I dont want to learn to rely on it. Part of me thinks if during my training I dont have any help it will make me a better pilot. But then again having more information never hurt so long as it is not the distraction equivalent to texting and driving...;)

Unfortunatley I cant afford both the new headset and the ipad, which is why I thought the headsetsinc mod with the ipod was a good alternative...

Best regards,

Marc
I am a student pilot also and just recently purchased a IPAD 3 . But yes Bose A20 first ! even if you can get the Bose X on Ebay it is worth it Luckly I have both the A20 & the Bose X sometimes I seem to prefer the A20 and the other times the Bose X
good Luck
Ashah:wink2:

the Bose A20 has the best ANR I have ever tried hands down.
The Bose A20 is great......until the battery runs down and then it is worthless.

That is why I went with the DC ANRs. Good ANR AND it has solid passive protection which the Bose does not, not to mention you get the David Clark customer service that comes with it.

The Bose A20 is great......until the battery runs down and then it is worthless.

That is why I went with the DC ANRs. Good ANR AND it has solid passive protection which the Bose does not, not to mention you get the David Clark customer service that comes with it.

I have a panel powered A20 with an adapter cable in case the aircraft I'm flying doesn't have an ANR plug and carry an extra set of batteries. No problem. Both Bose and DC have excellent customer support.

For what it's worth, I have a Bose sitting at home with no standard headset adaptor so I've been using my trusty David Clarks lately. I just bought an Ipad.

I have a panel powered A20 with an adapter cable in case the aircraft I'm flying doesn't have an ANR plug and carry an extra set of batteries. No problem. Both Bose and DC have excellent customer support.
Ah, but there is the kicker....you have a PANEL-powered A20.

Panel-powered headsets don't generally work too well for students or other folks who fly alot of rental airplanes.

BOSE makes a fine headset, but there are some pitfalls that folks should know before droppin' that kind of money.

Hello All,
So many great responses on this. In most ways its all good, but in some ways its even more confusing..LOL

I have decided ot find a good used Ipad2 for sure. That way I cna use it in the plane and also in my daily life. Just having all my flying magazine subscriptions online will make it worth it rather than getting them in the mail.

Now to headsets.

I can get the bose A20 on the 0% finance plan until April 1st. This is very tempting as it amortizes the cost over months which will allow me to buy both. I want to preserve my cash to go towards lessons, but with my tax return I definaltey have enough set aside to finish and still upgrade headset/ipod. For once it will feel good to not have money keep me from finishing my lessons..whew...

Another interesting option is the bose QC2/QC15 and the UflyMike add on.. It seems like an interesting combo and I can always use the headset alone during airline travel. Seems popular with airline crews. I just need to see how it fits my head.

I might try and find a lightspeed Zulu to try as well before I buy as many mentioned it as well.

Seems nobody mentioned the headsetsinc ANR retrofit but I did find many satisfied users online. What I dont like is their battery box being huge and clunky.

Oh also when using an Ipad and Aviation software does the software ever send info in Audio such as warnings and such. I was curious if the headset needs to be connected to the Ipad to get any audio clues from the software? Also if that is the case can the audio clues come via Bluetooth into the A20?

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone...

Marc

Ah, but there is the kicker....you have a PANEL-powered A20.

Panel-powered headsets don't generally work too well for students or other folks who fly alot of rental airplanes.

BOSE makes a fine headset, but there are some pitfalls that folks should know before droppin' that kind of money.

I have a panel powered A20 with an ADAPTER CABLE so I can use the headset in either aircraft that have LEMO connectors or traditional GA plugs. I primarily fly SR20s, a Phenom 100, and a Mooney 231. The Mooney doesn't have LEMO jacks so I use the adapter cable and run off the batteries.

Oh also when using an Ipad and Aviation software does the software ever send info in Audio such as warnings and such. I was curious if the headset needs to be connected to the Ipad to get any audio clues from the software? Also if that is the case can the audio clues come via Bluetooth into the A20?

Not that I know of. If I was in your position, I would try to test fly a few different headsets and see what you like. It's very difficult to find one that works for you without testing it out.

Best regards,

Marc

A guy on this forum has a smokin' price on a set of Zulus. As a new pilot an iPad is the last thing you need to be screwing around with while really learning to fly.

Your hearing is primary.

I don't understand the idea that hearing protection justifies the extra cost of ANR as compared to passive attenuation.

A passive headset like a David Clark provides about 22 dB of attenuation. Adding ANR to the same headset gives you another 17 or so dB of reduction, for a total of about 40. The OSHA safety limit for sustained noise exposure is 85 dBA. That means that a passive headset is safe up to 85 + 22 = 107 dBA and an ANR maybe up to 125 dBA.

GA planes aren't usually as loud as 107 dBA in the cabin. For example, when Philip Greenspun complained about the noise in his Cirrus SR20, he said he measured it at 95 dBA in cruise. So you would be safe, with plenty of margin, in that SR20 while wearing a passive headset.

So it seems to me that ANR is merely providing a pleasant experience, not a necessary protection. Unless you've got a plane that is much noisier than most, you're paying for pleasure, not protection.

Last edited:
Do what I did. Go on ebay and buy the worst (cheapest) working ANR headset you can find on ebay. Then send it to Lightspeed for $300 credit towards your new Zulu2. I spent $70 on a crappy headset and ended up knocking $230 off of the price of my Zulu2s. $670 out the door direct from Lightspeed with the best customer support anywhere.

The Bose A20 is a nice headset, but for extra $400, you can buy an iPad.

Hey All,

Ok so everyone had some great advice and I thank you all for Posting. I managed to find a near new A20 Bluetooth on craigslist for $900 OBO. I offered $750 and I just picked it up. Anyhow the guy wa snot a pilot nad he bought it to use on his cell phone at home since he lived in a loud area. Its never even been in a plane or even out of the house and looks completely new...

I figure for the price I paid, I can try it out and see what I think and if for any reason I disslike it I can sell it easily for what I paid. My budget total was $1100 for headset and Ipad and it leaves the remainder for me to put towards a used Ipad. However I may hold off a bit on the ipad and just worry about flying as much as possible now that the remainder of my tax return will allow me to finish up my lessons without having to save up and fly as I can afford it. I may make the ipad a reward for when I get my PPL.

Thanks everyone for all the help.. This forum is such a great resource.

Best regards,

Marc

Back