Upgrade my headset to a Bose or buy an Ipad?

Dang. That's a noisy house! ;) Perhaps under some airliner airport's flight path? ;) ;) ;)
Yah I thought it was a lofty purchase for something he could have done with a cheaper ANR headset with a phone imput... He ultimatley sold it because he moved...LOL

Either way, it worked out for me.. I have a lesson on Sunday and will be able to test it out for the first time...

Marc

I have both, hard to pick just one however; if I was flying mostly local it would be the Bose, cross county it would be the I-Pad with WingX.

My son is getting his PPL and his CFI and I have agreed, no iPad until he passes his checkride.:D The iPad makes it way too easy to navigate and flight plan, gotta learn to fold them dang charts first then the iPad. ;)

Train like you fight comes to mind.

If you're going to throw the paper away the second the instructor gets out of the aircraft, and you're aware enough of the failure modes to have more than one electronic navigation tool at your disposal...

The instructor is doing you a disservice if ALL you do is train with paper.

If you've chosen to bring the electronics along, you've added your own extra complexity that you need to be certain you know how to handle.

Primacy also factors in. There's been times when I just force myself to put the iPad on the floor and look out the window. I learned on paper first.

Many kids learning today will learn the other way around. They'll struggle with things like where to find the frequency to talk to a MOA on their gadgets, and will go 100 miles out of their way to go around one.

I'll reach in the map pocket and look at the outside of the chart, call 'em, and get their opinion and assistance to go straight through.

Train like you fight comes to mind.

If you're going to throw the paper away the second the instructor gets out of the aircraft, and you're aware enough of the failure modes to have more than one electronic navigation tool at your disposal...

The instructor is doing you a disservice if ALL you do is train with paper.

If you've chosen to bring the electronics along, you've added your own extra complexity that you need to be certain you know how to handle.

Primacy also factors in. There's been times when I just force myself to put the iPad on the floor and look out the window. I learned on paper first.

Many kids learning today will learn the other way around. They'll struggle with things like where to find the frequency to talk to a MOA on their gadgets, and will go 100 miles out of their way to go around one.

I'll reach in the map pocket and look at the outside of the chart, call 'em, and get their opinion and assistance to go straight through.

I don't know. I'm ambivalent on that. I think the day will come (sooner than later) where paper charts will disappear in their entirety and be replaced by electronic devices sufficiently reliable and easy to read as to make them obsolete. Do I think that's going to hinder basic pilot skills? No not necessarily. The kids that are programming the software to make these things work are also winning the pipe snowboard competitions at the Xgames. I don't think basic motor skills and good judgement is necessarily counter to technology.

Back