Update to the STEC 30 / Garmin G5 that stops working mid-flight.

jimmyjack

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Nick
I posted about a week ago about my STEC 30 that stops tracking the magenta line (and/or HDG bug) on my Garmin G5.

Power cycling the STEC individually and the avionics master separately fixed nothing. Avionics shop couldn't pinpoint it over the phone.

Hangaring, shutting everything down, rebooting avionics master brought it back up, working in HDG mode, GPSS untestable because I was inside the hangar.

Few days later I was flying along and lost GPS signal on my 430W. At the same time, I completely lost my AP in both GPSS and HDG. GPS signal returned about two minutes later and the AP started working again.

A'ha, I thought, and called my shop again. He said yes that definitely makes sense.

The G5 relies on the GPS signal for GPSS and HDG so if you lose that you lose your AP in anything but wing leveler mode.

I questioned him on why, then, do I have working AP through HDG while inside the hangar.

The answer was that when you first boot the G5 and that it sees it doesn't have a GPS signal, it emulates (?) heading through the magnetometer...? I'm paraphrasing here, but that's the gist of it.

Then, once it has a GPS signal, it doesn't like it when it loses it and won't "revert" to emulation so you do indeed lose HDG mode on the AP.

So then. The only thing left to test is to lose GPS signal in flight again AND THEN turn off the G5 completely and turn it back on. This is the only thing I didn't do the last time (power cycling the G5 fully). Doing this, I should at least get heading mode, during intermittent GPS loss.

If you've been following along, what this means is that, imho, the G5 is too reliant upon that GPS signal. It should NOT require it for HDG mode AP usage. But it does. I wonder if in IMC, how well that G5 would work w/o GPS signal.

Do you have the GMU? I would expect it would rely on it for heading.

I posted about a week ago about my STEC 30 that stops tracking the magenta line (and/or HDG bug) on my Garmin G5.

Power cycling the STEC individually and the avionics master separately fixed nothing. Avionics shop couldn't pinpoint it over the phone.

Hangaring, shutting everything down, rebooting avionics master brought it back up, working in HDG mode, GPSS untestable because I was inside the hangar.

Few days later I was flying along and lost GPS signal on my 430W. At the same time, I completely lost my AP in both GPSS and HDG. GPS signal returned about two minutes later and the AP started working again.

A'ha, I thought, and called my shop again. He said yes that definitely makes sense.

The G5 relies on the GPS signal for GPSS and HDG so if you lose that you lose your AP in anything but wing leveler mode.

I questioned him on why, then, do I have working AP through HDG while inside the hangar.

The answer was that when you first boot the G5 and that it sees it doesn't have a GPS signal, it emulates (?) heading through the magnetometer...? I'm paraphrasing here, but that's the gist of it.

Then, once it has a GPS signal, it doesn't like it when it loses it and won't "revert" to emulation so you do indeed lose HDG mode on the AP.

So then. The only thing left to test is to lose GPS signal in flight again AND THEN turn off the G5 completely and turn it back on. This is the only thing I didn't do the last time (power cycling the G5 fully). Doing this, I should at least get heading mode, during intermittent GPS loss.

If you've been following along, what this means is that, imho, the G5 is too reliant upon that GPS signal. It should NOT require it for HDG mode AP usage. But it does. I wonder if in IMC, how well that G5 would work w/o GPS signal.

Makes no sense to me.

Heading is magnetic and derived from the GMU. When the G5 is in heading track mode the GMU should drive the HSI compass rose the autopilot should follow the heading bug not the GPS.

Track is derived from GPS calculation, determining which direction you're tracking (no relation to heading) across the ground. In this mode GPS TRACK is displayed on the HSI and the autopilot should follow the TRACK BUG.

upload_2018-3-7_18-52-10.png

upload_2018-3-7_18-53-15.png

Last edited:
I am going to try this tomorrow, kill the GPS and see if AP would follow the heading bug and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps what is confusing is that the GAD29B is hooked only to 1 input of the autopilot controller. For instance, My Brittain can follow the CDI needles which has nothing to do with G5/GAD29B signals, or it can follow whatever signals comes through the "heading hold" channel which ties the autopilot to the DG bug. The G5 heading bug, track bug, and GPSS modes are all transmitted to the autopilot through that lone channel and to make the autopilot follow any of them it must be in switched to "heading hold" on the Brittain controller.

If your G5 is in GPSS mode none of the bugs will do anything, they are for reference only see above, hollowed out bug symbol.

If your G5 is in heading mode it should follow the magnetic heading bug, a full cyan bug symbol.

If your GMU fails and the G5 is in heading mode it is now using GPS track, the bug is now a full magenta bug symbol.

I don't think it will automatically switch from one mode to another (GPSS or heading) if the GPS fails. I think it just keeps wings level until you switch it to a heading mode.

Last edited:
Did you ever figure this out? I am putting dual G5s in my Dakota and have an STEC-30.

Back