Update on the Antonov

Yeah, there are probably lots of folks who have some emotional attachment and would love to see it fly again...but realistically? I don't see it ever happening.

Yeah, there are probably lots of folks who have some emotional attachment and would love to see it fly again...but realistically? I don't see it ever happening.
Kind of depends on what kind of revenue producing potential there is for the owners.

Kind of depends on what kind of revenue producing potential there is for the owners.
True. The article estimates a $1B cost to rebuild. Hard to see how flying one-off cargo missions will provide a reasonable ROI, even at half that.

True. The article estimates a $1B cost to rebuild. Hard to see how flying one-off cargo missions will provide a reasonable ROI, even at half that.
Well, they must have thought it was worth it when they originally built it.

I guess time will tell.

Well, they must have thought it was worth it when they originally built it.
No, ROI was not a concern when it was built. It was built to be the carrier aircraft for the Buran (Soviet Space Shuttle). When the Buran program was canceled and the USSR fell apart, Ukraine had this unicorn plane land in its lap. It was essentially a freebie.

Completely different situation talking about rebuilding it today.

No, ROI was not a concern when it was built. It was built to be the carrier aircraft for the Buran (Soviet Space Shuttle). When the Buran program was canceled and the USSR fell apart, Ukraine had this unicorn plane land in its lap. It was essentially a freebie.

Completely different situation talking about rebuilding it today.
That I did not know. Or I had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

Wasn't there another one in existence somewhere that wasn't airworthy? Maybe that one could be refurbished perhaps using parts from the destroyed one for less?

Wasn't there another one in existence somewhere that wasn't airworthy? Maybe that one could be refurbished perhaps using parts from the destroyed one for less?

The way I read the article, thats the plan. The bombed one appears to be scrap.

There was a second one under construction that was never finished.

Yes, that's what the article is talking about. The "up to ~$1B" cost is to bring that partial airframe to completion.

Not going to happen. It’s just feel good propaganda.

Back