Update on my niece's Leukemia

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Howdy all,

Just got a bit of information about my niece that I'd like to pass on to y'all.

First off, she's doing great! Her hair grows back and falls out a lot now. Never more than stubbles, but it keeps her happy knowing that it will, in fact, actually grow back some day. She has been on Chemo for what seems like months now (I'm not really positive how long), and she's got about another 1 and a half years according to her Oncologist.

For a while, she was having a problem with rashes and stuff all over her body, but that has subsided, at least for the last few weeks. I understand that she is no longer neutropenic, but I could be wrong about that.

The doctors said a few weeks ago that she was in remission, but that they had to watch her closely for a few weeks to make sure that it was actually remission and not just hiding cells (or something to that effect). We now know that she is in remission, but that is not a guarantee of anything, just that for now, she has no cancer cells in her body.

When she comes over to play, she is very active, and no longer gets tired all the time like she used to. Its hard to believe that she is actually still on chemo, although I don't really get to see her on Tuesdays, which is chemo day, so I may not be seeing the worst of it. She told me a few weeks ago that I looked silly with my hair and goatee gone, and she wanted everything to go back to the way it was before.

I, of course, obliged.

Since she is missing kindergarten, the Albuquerque Public School district is providing a tutor to my sister and Erin to keep her from falling behind. Erin is very upset about missing school, but at least she's gonna be up to par with the other students.

I think that's all I have for now. Thanks for listening.

Thats great news Nick! Let her know she has alot of people supporting her over here. Keep us informed.

Thanks for the update, Nick. She, you and your family are on our prayer list at church.

That's really something to be thankful and happy about. Science has given us so many blessings like the complicated chemotherapy of which you speak, that have saved so many.

My mother used to work as an RN in a cancer center (basically, a diagnosis and treatment center for cancer affiliated with the local teaching hospital).

She used to love working with kids because they got better. The older adults had a higher mortality rate. The kids generally were more stoic about their side-effects once they went through it a few times.

We're still pulling for her!

That is truly excellent news, Nick! I'm very happy for you and your family!

:cheerswine: :happydance: :yes:

Hopefully the :hairraise: is really getting the :lightning: :target: and not hiding. :no:

:yinyang:

Let her know we're all wishing her the best...

That is great news Nick! I have been thinking about it, good to hear she is doing good.

Good to hear that, Nick! I'm glad she is doing well and that you have your hair back.

I'm glad she's doing well, and glad she's enjoying life despite the ordeal she is enduring. :yes:

All the docs always worry during neutropenia, about sudden sepsis. Glad she's through that... :)

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate the well wishes. I should get a picture of her and post it here. I forgot to get one for you, too, Adam. I'll work on that this week.

Great news. Sick kids seem so resilient as compared to adults. I'm forever amazed at the strength of these kids.

Nick;

Your update on your niece is great news. Yes kids are so resilient. Have two 18 month old grand children and I am always amazed in their strength.

Keep us posted on her progress.

John

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back