Update for Garmin Gx60

Brandy Trotter

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
brandytrotter360
I am looking for anyone who could help me get an update for my dad’s Garmin Apollo GX60.
Thanks!!
Brandy

Do you know how much they are? Can I buy the updated card or do I have to buy a subscription, interface, etc? Looking for the cheapest route...

It looks like Jeppesen's avionics data sales pages are offline. http://ww1.jeppesen.com/main/store/product_listing_template.jsp?catId=cat124

Single database updates are usually available. I don't know how the 60 updates. If it is a card then then free software and a proprietary card reader is required. Maybe a card reader can be borrowed for a one time use. Avionics shops will usually do an update for a fee.

I just updated my Apollo GX50 this morning. I bought a year subscription for $450. This requires the use of a Skybound USB device (I think you need the G1 and not the G2) in order to write the navdata to the card, along with the JPM software from Jeppesen. I believe you may be able to buy a card directly from Jeppesen (will try to verify that after I post [nope, didn't see one available for the GX series]), but I don't think they have any Skybound G1 devices available. I would imagine you can pick one up off of eBay for cheap though. The Apollo stuff is listed under "Garmin". http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com

Last edited:
<----- She likes Italians, that's why I changed my avatar to Tony. :D

I'm wondering how many more posts before the marriage proposals start. :D

Welcome to the zoo Brandy! ;)

<----- She likes Italians, that's why I changed my avatar to Tony. :D

Ha. We know you changed it to confuse the Mods, and stay one step ahead of the hammer.

I can already tell that you guys are a lot of fun! I promise I’m not a “he”, so I’m glad to help with the male to female ratio.
Thanks for all the help with the Garmin software update suggestions.
Anyone out there have a dual yoke for sale?

I can already tell that you guys are a lot of fun! I promise I’m not a “he”, so I’m glad to help with the male to female ratio.
Thanks for all the help with the Garmin software update suggestions.
Anyone out there have a dual yoke for sale?

For which model? I assume you are talking Bonanza.

Hmmm, Mari seems to be the only one who sticks, even Cajun bailed on us.
That's 'cause we're nice to Mari or we get banned. Murphey is still around, too - she's professor so has thick skin (figuratively speaking).

Do you know how much they are? Can I buy the updated card or do I have to buy a subscription, interface, etc? Looking for the cheapest route...

Single database updates are still available for $150 or so. The cards are 4mb and Jepp just sent out an email indicating they cannot longer fit the entire US/North America in one card. You can now get everything east of he Rockies and the Caribbean, or west of the Rockies plus other. Sorry, didn’t pay attention since east of the Rockies is what I need. If you need the entire US then you need two cards. You will need the skybound downloader and you can probably get one on eBay. If you visit Sun N Fun or Oshkosh you can take your card to the Jepp booth and they will update it for you there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's 'cause we're nice to Mari or we get banned. Murphey is still around, too - she's professor so has thick skin (figuratively speaking).
Hm, maybe we ought to automatically give banhammer privileges to anyone who is a verified female.

Yes, Bonaza N35. He’s looking for a later model Ram’s horn style. I used to fly with my dad when I was a teenager, and now I want to get my license. I’m very excited! Now we just have to find that dual yoke for lessons :)

Hm, maybe we ought to automatically give banhammer privileges to anyone who is a verified female.
Lol!
Single database updates are still available for $150 or so. The cards are 4mb and Jepp just sent out an email indicating they cannot longer fit the entire US/North America in one card. You can now get everything east of he Rockies and the Caribbean, or west of the Rockies plus other. Sorry, didn’t pay attention since east of the Rockies is what I need. If you need the entire US then you need two cards. You will need the skybound downloader and you can probably get one on eBay. If you visit Sun N Fun or Oshkosh you can take your card to the Jepp booth and they will update it for you there.

Thanks for all the info!!

Last edited:
Yes, Bonaza N35. He’s looking for a later model Ram’s horn style. I used to fly with my dad when I was a teenager, and now I want to get my license. I’m very excited! Now we just have to find that dual yoke for lessons :)

Hey good luck with your training Brandy! Will your Dad be teaching you or another CFI? Bonanza quite a plane to train on but it can be done. Just more complex than a Cherokee or Cessna 152 or 172 for example. Keep us posted, a lot of good advice and support here. Plus we're all comedians. :D

I am looking for anyone who could help me get an update for my dad’s Garmin Apollo GX60.

Brandy,

As you've seen from a couple others, you need to purchase the database from Jeppesen and then put it on a card to put in the GPS. Start here:

http://jeppdirect.jeppesen.com/legal/charts/ads-overview.jsp#matrix

Scroll down to where it shows the GX60, choose the coverage, and purchase. If you're just starting to learn to fly, you don't necessarily need a subscription, that's more useful when you're instrument rated (or working on the instrument rating). Airports don't move very often. ;)

Then, you'll need the hardware to put the database on the card. This is harder to come by, as it's no longer sold (hey @vontresc did you sell ours already?). They do show up on ebay pretty often, but there aren't any today. Here's the latest completed listing, so you can see what you're looking for: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeppesen-S...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The more common "Skybound G2" units only write Garmin 430/530 cards and not the PCMCIA cards the GX60 uses, so be sure to avoid those.

Finally, you'll need to download Jeppesen Distribution Manager software to write the database to the card using the Skybound adapter.

Good luck, and let us know if we can help further! Of course, the "easy" way is to spend about $25K on getting a more modern GPS installed that can be updated wirelessly from your iPad. :D

Back